Pandora charger stopped working

Farewell

Still Fresh
Hello,

My Pandora charger stopped working... it still heats up, but the LED doesn't light up and, well, it doesn't charge.

Is this covered by the warranty?

(Would it just be a little mean to claim it off the warranty when I am aware finding a replacement wouldn't be that hard?)

Farewell

A few questions that might help diagnose the problem :

What hotfix are you running?

Do you mean the LED on the charger or on the Pandora?

Will the pandora charge via USB OTG?

Will the Pandora charge using an official PSP Charger?

The supplied Pandora chargers are shit, and I'd recommend binning it and chalking it up as a lost cause. Mine failed within days, so I just use a 10w iPad charger and a USB to PSP adaptor from one of those universal charging kits. Hasn't failed in months, and no spontaneous fires have occurred.

When looking for an alternate charger, check it for 2A, 5v. The iPad charger is an easy way to go, if you've got one.

The LED that isn't working is the one on the charger.

As a replacement I am currently using a very similar charger, with the one difference being that it only ouputs 1A...

It appears to work fine. Would it be a problem to just use that?

The LED that isn't working is the one on the charger.

As a replacement I am currently using a very similar charger, with the one difference being that it only ouputs 1A...

It appears to work fine. Would it be a problem to just use that?

Slow charging, afaik. 2A would be preferable. But as far as I know, using a low-powered charger is no more harmful than charging over the even-lower-powered USB connection. If you charge overnight like I tend to, you probably won't notice a difference.

Thanks, that is fine. The charger seems to work okay. Sadly it was also my shortwave radio charger but I don't use it often enough to mind that much and I could just buy a new charger for my Pandora if I really need the radio charger.

If you compare a genuine PSP charger to the crap that OP managed to get hold of, the quality difference becomes pretty clear. Fortunately, it's too low powered to burn up like most cheap shitty laptop power supplies do. They'd probably have been better just not shipping the Pandora with a power supply- it's an unnecessary cost factor and most of us can probably dig a usable one out of a box anyway.

They'd probably have been better just not shipping the Pandora with a power supply- it's an unnecessary cost factor and most of us can probably dig a usable one out of a box anyway.
Personally, I'd've suggested shipping with one of these multi-charger-cables, myself. They work fine over USB, and the user then has the option of sourcing a suitable USB wall-wart locally if they don't already have one. :p (This is actually what I ended up doing for convenience's sake, since it saves me from carrying a bunch of chargers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd've suggested shipping with one of these multi-charger-cables, myself.
That's actually not too good of an idea. The Pandora tries to draw up to 1A of power through the regular connector; a USB port is only supposed to be able to supply 500mA. A well designed system with all the right hardware will choke the supply so that even if something tries to draw 1A it will only receive 500mA. An improperly designed system will allow more than 500mA, perhaps as high as 1A. A dangerously designed system will allow the 1A but only be designed to handle 500mA, which will result in overheating, crossover, and damage. Charging the Pandora through the USB is restricted to 500mA, as it should be.

I've yet to encounter a computer system that didn't do the right thing, handling USB power requirements is pretty much a standard module now, but you never know when you'll encounter that one ultra cheap knock off motherboard that blows up when drawing too much power. Even if you supply these cables with a wall wart, sooner or later someone will try to plug it into their PC directly and kablammo! Ok, odds of kablammo are near zero, but it's still not a good idea :p

Back