Pandora Desktop Environment Prototype Try 2 (screenshots And Videos)

CyruzDraxs said:
I was bored today.

Looks cool, but you should try to make the Pandora logo look more like a clickable button (took me a while to figure out it wasn't part of the background). Maybe you should put a circle behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey wesbrown18 I don't think it is using your theme. I'm not sure why either. Could it be that my matchbox setup doesn't have .themes in it's path settings or w/e?

Screenshot of problem:

adamorjames said:
Hey wesbrown18 I don't think it is using your theme. I'm not sure why either. Could it be that my matchbox setup doesn't have .themes in it's path settings or w/e?

Screenshot of problem:

That's a shot of matchbox-desktop v2, which is not planned to be used thus doesn't have any applicable themeing information in the provided gtkrc. However, if you were to launch one of the apps you should still see the correct window decorations if you've set the theme in the session file or by 'matchbox-remote -t Pandora'.

But you need to drop back down to matchbox desktop v0.9. to be on the same page as wesbrown...

Coder_TimT said:
adamorjames said:

Screenshot of problem:

That's a shot of matchbox-desktop v2, which is not planned to be used thus doesn't have any applicable themeing information in the provided gtkrc. However, if you were to launch one of the apps you should still see the correct window decorations if you've set the theme in the session file or by 'matchbox-remote -t Pandora'.

But you need to drop back down to matchbox desktop v0.9. to be on the same page as wesbrown...

Ahaa I see :) hate to ask, but how do we uninstall our versions and then proceed to install that specific version?

I am now using the older versions. May I ask why the icons are not cool? :lol: I guess you didn't include the icons?

EDIT: Another screenshot

sudo aptitude remove matchbox*

or just deselect them in synaptic on debian and friends

you can download the correct version from the debian etch http://packages.debian.org/etch/matchbox-desktop

and install it with dpkg -i ./path/package.deb you will have to also install dependancies manually that way they are listed there on the package page

@gruso try virtualbox it is very easy you just setup a vm from teh wizard and it will guide you throught the process after that set the cdrom drive to the ISO of your distro then boot and install.... after that unset the ISO.. and boot to the virtual HD that you setup when you setup the VM also try the expanding image since they take up less space on disk

img0035480x360qr5.jpg

img0038480x360rk1.jpg

EDIT: Size comaprison eh? 15.4" screen w/ Matchbox @ 800x480 That's what people who are theming Matchbox for the Pandora will be working with, that size (programs, etc). Fun fun fun! :D
EDIT: I'm using Arch Linux btw so it was pretty easy to get the older Matchbox* versions through the AUR.
EDIT: wesbrown18 can you post the updated files and such? (wallpaper, folder icons, xml, etc)

adamorjames said:
EDIT: Size comaprison eh? 15.4" screen w/ Matchbox @ 800x480 That's what people who are theming Matchbox for the Pandora will be working with, that size (programs, etc). Fun fun fun! :D
EDIT: I'm using Arch Linux btw so it was pretty easy to get the older Matchbox* versions through the AUR.
EDIT: wesbrown18 can you post the updated files and such? (wallpaper, folder icons, xml, etc)
Know of any good tutorials for installing Matchbox in Arch? I have a spare laptop laying around not being used...it'd be nice to try and install matchbox on it and give it a little trial run. Maybe even make a theme, if I can get the theming system figured out.

CyruzDraxs said:
Know of any good tutorials for installing Matchbox in Arch? I have a spare laptop laying around not being used...it'd be nice to try and install matchbox on it and give it a little trial run. Maybe even make a theme, if I can get the theming system figured out.

The way I got the older versions of Matchbox in Arch Linux was by using AUR and changing the PKGBUILD files to download different versions (and commenting out the md5 line). If you're new to Linux do what that one guy up above said with Debian since it probably is a bit easier. I was just saying Arch Linux isn't too hard. :lol:

EDIT: In Arch Linux once you "makepkg PKGBUILD" you then become a superuser and "pacman -Up file-version-xxx.tar.gz" to install the file. For Matchbox Window Manager I used 1.0 since 0.9 didn't want to work and I didn't want to figure it out (lazy sometimes).

P.S. Check out the Arch Linux wiki if you are still interested. I still suggest that you use Debian or a Debian-based distro if you are new to Linux and don't want to know how Linux works from the starting gate.

Is it possible to make firefox use as much of the screen as possible and only have the icons and address bar visible? Frustratingly IE can do that, but firefox seems to insist on having the menus take up one line and the icons another, such wasted space! (I know it can do a full screen mode, but you will lose the task list).

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed by applications taking up way more space than they need and wasting screen real estate with empty spaces?

Look at that picture of firefox adamorjames posted, over 25% of the screen is wasted! This is the sort of area we need to look at on the Pandora to max the LCD use, due to poor screen use on larger screens we could get the same level of use from our lower res with some tweaking.

craigix said:
Is it possible to make firefox use as much of the screen as possible and only have the icons and address bar visible? Frustratingly IE can do that, but firefox seems to insist on having the menus take up one line and the icons another, such wasted space! (I know it can do a full screen mode, but you will lose the task list).

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed by applications taking up way more space than they need and wasting screen real estate with empty spaces?

Look at that picture of firefox adamorjames posted, over 25% of the screen is wasted! This is the sort of area we need to look at on the Pandora to max the LCD use, due to poor screen use on larger screens we could get the same level of use from our lower res with some tweaking.
I use the Hide Menubar extension and the Classic Compact theme on both my EEEs to maximise the available viewing area. You may also want to look into Fennec (FF Mobile). It's still in alpha but it makes very efficient use of screen real estate. I've tried it on my N800 and on my EEE 701 and, while it still needs some work on stability and speed, the UI is excellent for their 800x480 screens.

craigix said:
No - that is one of my biggest gripes about Firefox in particular.

Pressing F11 on my 3.0 versin hides the menu and auto hides the address bar until you mouse over it and it drops down.

PurplePup said:
Pressing F11 on my 3.0 versin hides the menu and auto hides the address bar until you mouse over it and it drops down.

Did it in 2.0 as well.

Back