Pandora Desktop Environment Prototype Try 2 (screenshots And Videos)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
As far as I'm aware the PXML format is sticking to the usual way that Linux handles desktop icons to keep compatibility. e.g.
The icon files are 48×48 pixels size wise, in the .png format and located in /usr/share/pixmaps/.

The text files that donate the shortcut can be found in /usr/share/applications/.
They're set out like this..
i am talking about the apps which are dropped somewhere on the SDcard together with a pxml file and icons are in the same folder as the app. so /usr/share/applications/ has nothing to do with it??
but if the icon format is fixed to 48x48 my question would be obsolete anyway. then i would just wonder about scaling for any other size....
anyway just get it out soon!! i would even love it if it had only 8x8 icons :D

Last edited by a moderator:
RavenX said:
Good news for those interested in E on the P. I have it on pretty good authority that Rasterman himself preordered a Pandora and is intending on porting E to it:
Rasterman said:
i have one on order - got in in the very first batch before most people. :)
So, hopefully we will see it soon, whether or not it is the default WM.

That is good news indeed! B)

PandoraSuechtig said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
As far as I'm aware the PXML format is sticking to the usual way that Linux handles desktop icons to keep compatibility. e.g.
The icon files are 48×48 pixels size wise, in the .png format and located in /usr/share/pixmaps/.

The text files that donate the shortcut can be found in /usr/share/applications/.
They're set out like this..
i am talking about the apps which are dropped somewhere on the SDcard together with a pxml file and icons are in the same folder as the app. so /usr/share/applications/ has nothing to do with it??
but if the icon format is fixed to 48x48 my question would be obsolete anyway. then i would just wonder about scaling for any other size....
anyway just get it out soon!! i would even love it if it had only 8x8 icons :D

Ah.. my bad.
I remembered ED saying that he wanted to stick to standards as much as possible.

It would be cool if there were at least 3 different sizes then. We could use the different sizes as a way to create 3D looking GUI's without wasting too many system resources :)

I've never really tried to create a GUI theme before. Maybe now is the time to make it happen. B)

Although I did once make a horrid "Christmas" theme for Windows 3.11 using mostly red and green. Considering that I was about 12 I thought it looked awesome, and since it was for my mother she probably loved it anyway. :D

Just because it has two joysticks doesn't mean they have to do anything, when was the interface default behavior decided? Spot on about everything fullscreen, display is way too small for windows.

Since the joysticks have no click they would seem a poor choice for navigation now.

I don't see what's wrong with the default interface, it looks fine. I don't really care for glittery effects with transparency everywhere. Functionality comes over beauty for a device like this.

The interface should be fully navigable without using the touchscreen. Something menu driven would be good for that. The sidebar would also be a very good idea.

When working with small screens like this, you can't think of interface design the same way you think of it on desktop platforms. While you might have enough pixels to fit something, if you try to make things too small it will be unusable for practical purposes.

Nobody else seems to be constrained to have their desktops be fully navigable with the keyboard anymore. Try living for a day without a mouse in windows or osx. It's a touchscreen device, what is the horror in using it?

Sphinxter said:
Nobody else seems to be constrained to have their desktops be fully navigable with the keyboard anymore. Try living for a day without a mouse in windows or osx. It's a touchscreen device, what is the horror in using it?
If it was a touch screen device, the screen would lay flat for optimum use.
It's a device with touch screen included, there's a big difference <_<

Whatever menu is decided on should be easy to navigate using both, the touchscreen as well as button controls. There will be people preferring either.

Pandora is very unique. There will establish some kind of cross-over usage of both the button controls and touchscreen, I think.

Here's a quick mockup, based on the industrial theme. Something that looks more Pandora-like, perhaps ;)

pandoramockupcv1.png

MDave said:
Here's a quick mockup, based on the industrial theme. Something that looks more Pandora-like, perhaps ;)
Not bad. I might need to implement matchbox-desktop plugins for media files. That's a fairly good idea, though it may come after Pandora release.

I like this. Give me pngs for the icons and background and I can get that running.

It's a much better default. I'd definitely like something better further down the line, but this works for now.

A bit too Blue... maybe some color variation would be nice.
Blue... Grey.
Grey background would be good. maybe with some lines or something ?

well if you want to vary the colors how about making the icons more blue-green like the pandora box

btw grey is not a color xD

hey MR. Gonzo you thought of doing a theme?

Back