Pandora doesn't log in

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
When I try to log in, it shows a wall of text that I can't really make sense of. It shows up for about a second and then takes me right back to the login screen. I was able to get a photo of it:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/388193731037102102/483359449344376842/20180826_132900.jpg

The one thing that stands out to me is the max CPU speed being set to 600, but the CPU itself is 600000, and I don't know if it's reading the wrong value or just showing two different units.

Also, pressing ctrl-alt-fn-1 doesn't take me to a TTY, and I don't know if that's because the keyboard won't let that key combo work, or if Pandora doesn't have TTY on it. My friend tried to use a USB keyboard, but because the USB host can't be enabled without being logged in, we couldn't test that out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I think the 600 versus 600000 is just a MHz versus KHz issue, and nothing real or error causing. It's saying it thinks there was a crash last time it was powered off and it's resetting the CPU clock to something safer. It's possible you've broken it by setting the RAM clock incorrectly or something, which that approach apparently won't correct, but I suspect if you'd done that you'd know about it.

The Pandora keyboard doesn't support ctrl+alt+F1 for reasons I've never quite got to grips with, so that's not surprising.

I think your most likely successful next step is to reflash the unit. I don't know exactly where those CPU settings are stored, and I can't see an error being reported in that screen grab, but I'd expect a reflash to clear those settings, and perhaps anything else you might have accidentally broken. It may be that your unit has a more serious error causing it to crash, but we can't really diagnose that until you've tried to run a fresh install.

Would a desktop session crash not lead you back to a text mode login? I've stopped using a desktop login on my own machines that I administer directly, and instead login to text mode then manually 'startx', so I've kind of forgotten what happens when a purely desktop interfaced machine crashes during that portion.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions.

Back