Pandora Essentials

Gein07

With full speed production starting any second now, it occurs to me many people will be getting a Pandora for the first time or getting reunited with an old friend after a long RMA. If you are like me you may have lapsed in your attention of the boards over the past few months, so I thought maybe we could have a thread to discuss essential Pandora files for a brand new out of the box Pandora. There was a similar thread eons ago when the initial production was just getting started and it listed out codec packs, great pnd utilities, essential apps, and general tweaks for a new owner. For those of you with a Pandora in your hands right now this is where you can tell us new Pandora owners whats hot so we can start prepping our SD cards.

In my personal opinion :

Best Video Player for Pandora : SMPlayer 2

Best Emulator for Pandora : PCSX ReARMed

Best Homebrew Game made for Pandora : Super Geometry Dust

Best Game ported for Pandora : Forget Me Not

There is of course a load of great stuff out there, new users could do a lot worse than registering with and then browsing the Repo and using the sort options provided. Just don't forget to rate & comment upon any apps you do download. :)

I never thought I would read "best game" and "Angry Birds" in one sentence... ;)

Personally I use zNotes a lot on the go

Had a lot of fun with LemmingsSDL

Can recommend gmu for musicA

And sadly have not found the best browser yet, each one available does annoy me in one way or another (Firefox, Chromium, Midori, all good, yet each one missing something the other got).

Do not prepare your SD card yet. I did so years ago, many programs were updated since then. So my preparation was a waste of time and bandwith.

If you got your pandora, connect it to the net and check http://repo.openpandora.org/ look to the left for most downloads and to the right for top rated. Extend the view with more and you have the best overview to find your personal essentials.

Favourite browser - Chromium

Favorite Music player - Deadbeef

Favorite video - Pan player

favorite Port - Warcraft - Orcs and Humans!

Favorite Homebrew - Super Geometry Dust!

my personals

audio- audacious

video- PanPlayer/SMPlayer2

webbrowsing- Midori 0.4.2, as 0.4.3 wasnt doing it for me

homebrew- SGD, Rainy Day(TBR), Adamant Armor Affliction Adventure, Shootet, PaperWars, Battle For Wesnoth, Frogatto

ports- LemmingsSDL, Forget Me Not, Streets Of Rage Remake, nxengine(Cave Story), Uplink, the 4 homebrew zelda ports, Lugaru, VVVVVV

EMUs- gpSP(no the ginge one), gpFCE, Snes9x4P, Mupen65plus, MAME4ALL, MAME EX, Temper, PicoDrive, PCSX ReARMed

LemmingsSDL
FYI that's not a port, it is an original homebrew remake of the Amiga Lemmings (so all new code, but old level layouts and graphics) by miner49er ;)
hmm i guess my definition of port is incorrect than, as thats my exact definition, "same game, different code." what would your definition of a port be?

LemmingsSDL
FYI that's not a port, it is an original homebrew remake of the Amiga Lemmings (so all new code, but old level layouts and graphics) by miner49er ;)
hmm i guess my definition of port is incorrect than, as thats my exact definition, "same game, different code." what would your definition of a port be?
That's the definition of a conversion (such as, say, the C64 version of The NewZealand Story) or of a "reprogrammed" game (an example of this would be the Mega Drive version of Strider). A port is where the original source code is involved in some fashion. ;)

Back