Black!

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't there murmurs of a price hike after the initial batch? The front page is not always completely up to date.

Wow, BackassWard, my brain had skipped right over that! I'd updated my article with a link to the GBAX store and a note saying that units from the first batch *might* still be available. Quite fortunate!

PMP Today clearly use the copy and paste mechanism of journalism that seems to have become the staple of blogs these days.

On the price I ordered today, and it was supposed to be $330 + $19(shipping) = $349. But, the charge was GBP 220.88, which is $359.53 at todays conversion rates.

I'm not sure if there's some kind of tax or something to account for the difference, or if they use Google checkout but not Google currency conversion.

Oh well, I'll just be glad to be getting one.

$400 is my absolute limit :). I can use the Pandora as a portable "dev unit" going around to conferences and such showing other devs my games and whoever willing to have a go at it. It has practically every input device you could ever need and that is extremely useful since I can run the gamut on every uniquely controlled experience I can imagine. The ability to take it everywhere and plug it to a tv if needed, and show an entire group or my peers at a time. There is STILL nothing like it, something that I can just hand to someone, and they instantly know how to use it.

= $349. But, the charge was GBP 220.88, which is $359.53 at todays conversion rates.

I'm not sure if there's some kind of tax or something to account for the difference, or if they use Google checkout but not Google currency conversion.

During the early preorders, the pandora was priced in pounds, at £200 + delivery. After the pound started crashing last year, they switched the base price over to dollars ($330 + delivery), as that is the currency they are buying all the components in, it makes sense to keep all the cash in it.

I think that probably explains the difference.

= $349. But, the charge was GBP 220.88, which is $359.53 at todays conversion rates.

Is the £220 pounds all-inclusive? I was a staunch second-batcher, but after seeing the price tag swell to (I've heard) £270 at one point, I'm tempted to grab one now while they are still available and the prices are (comparatively) low. Decisions, decisions - who knows what these crazy exchange rates are going to do next? :)

I've said it once and I'll keep saying it: I paid just north of £270 for mine just a matter of days ago. It's a price I'm comfortable to pay because:

a) I know it's what they *need* and not just what they *want* to make the Pandora a reality.

and

B) It's my fault for not having faith in and supporting the project sooner. That said, I'd probably have never made it into the original pre-order rush so I consider myself very lucky now.

It's my fault for not having faith in and supporting the project sooner. That said, I'd probably have never made it into the original pre-order rush so I consider myself very lucky now.
I feel your pain there. I was originally going in at the start but I was made redundant and was only able to pre-order recently. I started the price hike thread on open handhelds! I went for the Pandora and a tv-out cable and it cost me £287... It just seems unfair that everyone is paying a different price based on currency rate changes, especially considering that the device isn't even available yet. Still, I'm happy to be having one none the less.

By the way,

are these black cases new prototypes? Do they already have the new pivot for the D-pad and how far is the prototyping of the case about now? And how is the MP of the boards comming along?

I'll just post this here instead of another where are we in the list topic.

now lets hope one of the nice Devs reads this.

I didn't order a TV-out cable. I suspect I'm going to regret that. It's kind-of necessary for doing video reviews with a TV capture unit.

*kicks self*

Hey WoD, I like the Pandora panda :)

might have to pinch that for my application icons :) (when Pandora arrives)

I didn't order a TV-out cable. I suspect I'm going to regret that. It's kind-of necessary for doing video reviews with a TV capture unit.

*kicks self*
I think I'm going to regret not getting one too... trouble was I barely squeezed the cash to buy just the Pandora. :angry: Well, hopefully it will become easier to purchase in the future.

might have to pinch that for my application icons :) (when Pandora arrives)

You're welcome to it, I've got the original as a more-or-less scaleable Fireworks PNG.

I wouldn't be interested in the TV-out if I didn't need it for video-recording, I've played with it on the Dingoo for giggles, but unless the Pandora can pull off some seriously nice scaling/smoothing I think I'd rather just use the built-in screen.

On the other hand I'm eager to try PS3 and wired Xbox 360 controllers.

*kicks self*
I think I'm going to regret not getting one too... trouble was I barely squeezed the cash to buy just the Pandora. :angry: Well, hopefully it will become easier to purchase in the future.
I thought the tv-out would be standard s-video or something. Something that people might already have cables for and if not they could just go out and buy one when needed.

*kicks self*
I thought the tv-out would be standard s-video or something. Something that people might already have cables for and if not they could just go out and buy one when needed.
In all those renderings and pictures they've been sharing for two years there is no big round s-video socket on the back.

Back