Fresh news from the board production (2010-10-20)

This may be a stupid question, but since at the moment we don't have any irrefutable proof that there are indeed 2000 Pandora boards manufactured, how and when are you going to find out if they do exist? ED, if you and MWeston aren't satisfied by the conference call, nor the pictures supplied, can you not simply ask them to take a picture of the whole lot? I'd rather know the real state of affairs, as would you I strongly guess.

Thanks; like you, it's the not knowing that's excruciating.

This may be a stupid question, but since at the moment we don't have any irrefutable proof that there are indeed 2000 Pandora boards manufactured, how and when are you going to find out if they do exist? ED, if you and MWeston aren't satisfied by the conference call, nor the pictures supplied, can you not simply ask them to take a picture of the whole lot? I'd rather know the real state of affairs, as would you I strongly guess.

I'm already pestering them with daily mails and reminders for a picture with all finished boards.

This may be a stupid question, but since at the moment we don't have any irrefutable proof that there are indeed 2000 Pandora boards manufactured, how and when are you going to find out if they do exist?

If the nubs are delivered next week, and there aren't boards to put them on, then we'll find out. And if they are lying about the boards, then, well... they've got a week to hurry up and finish them.

If the nubs are delivered next week, and there aren't boards to put them on, then we'll find out. And if they are lying about the boards, then, well... they've got a week to hurry up and finish them.

If that happens... I'm sure I'll suffer a heart attack.

Then anyone is free to go to the company and bomb it :D

(after you gained the needed parts and boards for the rest of the Pandoras, of course ;) ))

Im so sorry for bringing this up.

You didn't - I did, just noone noticed ;) . So don't feel bad because you 'got picked'.

Hey guys, looks like we have an amphibianite here, lets stone him to death for casting doubt.

0_o oh noz.

Go Poliwhirl! ('tis a frog - remember the amphibian thing?)

(You select Stone Throw)

Quick Attack! (pretty sure it can't learn this)

(Your HP slides down to zero.)

hi guys,

I was following the pandora a long time but now finally I have ordered my pandora from 2nd batch. Only I have one question (didn't find it anywhere so far). How big will the 2nd batch be? Is it like 2000 units?

hi guys,

I was following the pandora a long time but now finally I have ordered my pandora from 2nd batch. Only I have one question (didn't find it anywhere so far). How big will the 2nd batch be? Is it like 2000 units?

4000 units are planned, but we're aiming to have a steady and predictable production beginning of next year. We plan about 1000 per month, if possible.

The company we're talking with has multiple SMT lines and about 100 employees, so they could easily do it :)

So time frame? And also are there any 1nub pandoras. I will gladly take one and order nubs and replace them myself

So time frame? And also are there any 1nub pandoras. I will gladly take one and order nubs and replace them myself

I've learnt more than once to not try to guess anything, especially not if some things are changing.

If the current board company truly has those 3000 board finished when the nubs are there and have gathered the needed parts, batch 2 could start right after batch 1 as planned.

If the current board company DIDN'T finish those boards and we need to move to the new one, we'll see. Could be we start end of this year / early next year, could be 2 months more.

They are very helpful and already setting up everything so we could even switch the rest of Batch 1 production to them if need be.

They need about 3 weeks to setup the production machine, so when we have the parts delivered there, we could start.

They have multiple SMT machines, so production should be way faster. Fatih mentioned that he can get 2000 DVRs from them (their own products) reliable within 4 weeks when he orders, so as soon as we moved there, we should finally have something like a reliable production.

There are too many ifs right now to give accurate timeframes.

Has the current production site really produced as many boards as they claim?

Will we move to the new company with batch 2?

Or do we have to move while doing batch 1 because the current company isn't able to produce as many as they claim they will?

If that will happen, will the old company ship all the parts to the new company without making any trouble or do we have to start legal actions?

There are a lot of open questions, we're working on them almost 24/7 and you can be sure we will inform you about everything that will happen.

We find it quite disappointing that we have so many companies that didn't hold their claim now... we just hope you're all on our side and support us.

We won't give up - we've been through hell a couple of times already, but the Pandora is worth that!

I've learnt more than once to not try to guess anything, especially not if some things are changing.

If the current board company truly has those 3000 board finished when the nubs are there and have gathered the needed parts, batch 2 could start right after batch 1 as planned.

If the current board company DIDN'T finish those boards and we need to move to the new one, we'll see. Could be we start end of this year / early next year, could be 2 months more.

They are very helpful and already setting up everything so we could even switch the rest of Batch 1 production to them if need be.

They need about 3 weeks to setup the production machine, so when we have the parts delivered there, we could start.

They have multiple SMT machines, so production should be way faster. Fatih mentioned that he can get 2000 DVRs from them (their own products) reliable within 4 weeks when he orders, so as soon as we moved there, we should finally have something like a reliable production.

There are too many ifs right now to give accurate timeframes.

Has the current production site really produced as many boards as they claim?

Will we move to the new company with batch 2?

Or do we have to move while doing batch 1 because the current company isn't able to produce as many as they claim they will?

If that will happen, will the old company ship all the parts to the new company without making any trouble or do we have to start legal actions?

There are a lot of open questions, we're working on them almost 24/7 and you can be sure we will inform you about everything that will happen.

We find it quite disappointing that we have so many companies that didn't hold their claim now... we just hope you're all on our side and support us.

We won't give up - we've been through hell a couple of times already, but the Pandora is worth that!
It is a shame that they you've had so much trouble with them, I guess if you were a big company like Apple or Nokia they wouldn't treat you so badly.

Sounds like they've done something, but if they are going to be unreliable in the future then you're probably better off moving ASAP, even though it may mean us waiting longer for Pandoras. :(

Anyway best of luck, hope it works out.

It is a shame that they you've had so much trouble with them, I guess if you were a big company like Apple or Nokia they wouldn't treat you so badly.

Sounds like they've done something, but if they are going to be unreliable in the future then you're probably better off moving ASAP, even though it may mean us waiting longer for Pandoras. :(

Anyway best of luck, hope it works out.

Yes, we're working on that as hard as we can.

And it's looking good for the future... we just need to get out of this mess and make everything more reliable :)

We got working units, so our design is okay, just with some minor issues - it would be a shame if we couldn't find a reliable company (well, as said, we pretty much have one already, just needs some time to move over :) )

Well, we'll see if we need to move or not. But we won't let ourselves fool by any companies anymore! We're going to manage to make the Pandora production reliable, and solve all issues!

No way we'll ever give up :)

2000 Pandoras in 4 weeks...now that'd be REALLY awesome. ...or not, who would the customers be? Whining whinger noobs could be hell here(boards)...but hey! OpenPandora itself would be a lot better as a company, except maybe getting criticised because they won't answer "Why can't I run Windows" or "Why can't I run *.exe" or "I opened my Pandora, placed C4 over the power regulator and charged my unit, and it just randomly exploded! Can I get a replacement?" for the 10000th time (well hopefully there aren't 10k of the last) ;) . Also people who "t@lk lik dis l0lzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!1!!!!" would just make the forums unbearable.

I really hope there is NO NEED for a change to a new company, ever. But for the (apparent) known reliability of the other company, ...yes! And again, a company that really cares about the Pandora, that'd be ideal. They'd check everything, make sure it's optimal if they cared about it(well, the employees would need to care too - prioritize any orders from them? heh win win).

New case company is needed tho - way too many issues there, no real attempt at trying to correct them. And if anybody says i'm just being racist i'll kill them(I would not even have thought of that outcome had I not been talking to a friend about the issues with the case company and having him say it was racist that we were worried more about them then the dodgy nubs. But yeah...whatever).

EDIT: Why are my posts always so large? It makes it strangely tempting to Kibo/B1FF my signature ;) . Unlimited line count!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, if I understand correctly, the board company only gets paid when board production is complete. We have no proof they have made all remaining boards. If another board company was brought in on a similar arrangement then it would be a race to finish board production to get paid, if both produce the boards then thats batch 2 production sorted also.

Hopefully this will encourage the exisiting company to pull their finger out, and also encourage the new company to take OPT more seriously.

Hi all, if I understand correctly, the board company only gets paid when board production is complete. We have no proof they have made all remaining boards. If another board company was brought in on a similar arrangement then it would be a race to finish board production to get paid, if both produce the boards then thats batch 2 production sorted also.

Hopefully this will encourage the exisiting company to pull their finger out, and also encourage the new company to take OPT more seriously.
0_o I wish I'd thought of that - Great idea! The only issue is, it's risky and the OPt don't have money for batch2 boards if both are built - and that could happen before the OPt has money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back