Pandora Keyboard Layout

Do you want the Menu key to be labelled with the Pandora logo?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Care

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The harsh negativity doesn't help.

We are all anxious to know if this discussion is worthwhile to the devs or if the decision is already set in stone and we will all have to live with it.

I'm in favor of a tri-color multifunction design covering all of the symbols found on US QWERTY keyboard. Yeah, I'm a selfish US centric person.

I know the devs do not have time to put us in the loop on every single detail of getting this product in our hands, but a quick nod or slap to let us know if we're spinning in place or creating worthy input would be nice.

There is no reason to close this thread let alone to delete it. There may be reason to delete a couple of posts and potentially users who can not seem to let a polite discussion be.

We're having fun here discussing keyboard layouts. Even if they wind up only being theoretical possibilities for a not yet proposed 3rd generation of the device, we're still having fun dreaming of the possibilities.

So, go spread hate somewhere else and leave us to our fun.

ish420 is the dick who keeps saying that the second batch will sell for $399... Just ignor him.

The keyboard layout may be one of those things that MW said he wanted to be a surprise. The keyboard isn't going to make or break a device with this kind of power and price but I just hope its simple and logical.

At worst we generated some good ideas and have a cool vector file that could be used many times through out pandora's life time. Thanks to Kagato.

PoisonedV said:
Sphinxter said:
STFU, shouldn't have ordered one.
while, pre ordering is a leap of faith and all that... it's still good practice to tell people. and not just because it's common courtesy, but because we were promised some information- the paypal thing set this back, of course, but I still know where hes coming from.

Just saying If one did not have sufficient information to make a sound decision such as will I like the keyboard or not then they should not have ordered one. Anyone who would do it blindly and then bug the developers afterward to do anything besides get 3k pandoras out the door is likely an ass that should STFU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter said:
Just saying If one did not have sufficient information to make a sound decision such as will I like the keyboard or not then they should not have ordered one. Anyone who would do it blindly and then bug the developers afterward to do anything besides get 3k pandoras out the door is likely an ass that should STFU.
+ 1 gazillion!!!!

Heh, I hate the keyboard but that didn't make a bit of difference to me - everything else is perfect, I simply ignore the keyboard. :pandora1:

ish420 said:
You people are still arguing about the Layout? You must be retarded. :blink: All of you. The layout has been around since the damn thing was announced.
CAN YOU ALL STFU AND LOOK AT THE PICTURE. :angry:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a...test-080508.jpg

CLOSE THIS DAMN THREAD ALREADY. IN FACT DELETE IT. It's been a waist of time and effort. :angry:

I agree that it has been a waste of time, in the same sense that playing baseball or collecting stamps is a waste of time. The devs will pick what they pick, but the discussion has been enjoyable. Also, it's been mentioned several times (no, I won't find the posts for you) that the keys on the render were just placeholders, put in place because the renderer needed something, anything, to put on it, since the layout had not been (and to this day may still not be) confirmed.

I suggest that all of us wait until the thing is shipped and whoever wants it changes the keyboard layout and those for whom the software change isn't enough (I type blind anyway) can buy some rub on letters :p

ish420, you really need to STFU yourself, you have no idea what you're talking about, that image is not a real Pandora at all and it means nothing, it's just some blender 3d model and the keyboard will probably be different from that.

Etinin said:
ish420, you really need to STFU yourself, you have no idea what you're talking about, that image is not a real Pandora at all and it means nothing, it's just some blender 3d model and the keyboard will probably be different from that.
Fine. I'll tone it down. I just saw some bickering in the thread and it got me a little agitated and I went off and said some harsh things. And I know it's a render but seeing the keypad layout on the render I thought it was safe to assume that it would be the actual layout of the keypad. That is what gave me the impression that the layout was finalized and that this thread was pointless.

So, now that all of that nonsense is sorted out...

Which design(s) does everyone favor now?

I like the tri-color designs with extensive mapping already done. I do not think it will be 'too busy'. My rationale for this statement is in comparison to the keyboard on my Blackberry 8700. It is about 1/4 of the size of the Pandora keyboard yet has room to host 2 symbols per key. By making the 'standard' key large and white on the left and two 'sub keys' smaller and blue/brown on the label, it should be perfectly usable without confusing anyone.

Something else that occurred to me when looking at the Blackberry is that the keys do not even have to be tri-color for this to work. Just the placement alone would be adequate, thought I would prefer colors.

I prefer to have the F1-F10 and numeric 1-0 riding on the same top row with an ability to 'shift-lock' the set. Some games require Fx buttons, some require numbers, some require both.

So, back on topic, where are we at?

Well if the devs won't pay attention though, why care about making a decision here.
Thinking abut it, it's kinda true that this thread is pointless because it won't matter if the devs don't have time to give us information or see our feedback here.

Bump (since it sounds like this is where we are in production :) )

<crosses fingers for one of mine or Kagato's newest layout>

I'll see if any final decision has been made as to the keyboard layout. Until then, please stop bumping this topic.

Chip said:
I'll see if any final decision has been made as to the keyboard layout. Until then, please stop bumping this topic.
OK, I won't bump it anymore, except just this one last time ;-)

cosurgi said:
Chip said:
OK, I won't bump it anymore, except just this one last time ;-)
You naughty boy, cosurgi! ;)

Actually, I'm not massively into all this keyboard discussion, but I find it strange that there has never been an answer.

This may be of some interest:
mali said:
Something you might want to add to the blog:
EvilDragon said:
Thema Bedruckung: Wir sind am Überlegen, ob wir eine individuelle Bedruckung (Deutsch, Englisch, Türkisch, Spanisch) machen sollen - und da schaut es im Moment recht gut aus, da die Bedruckung NACH der Mattenherstellung stattfindet, also von den Kosten her durchaus möglich ist :)
free translation said:
Regarding the key-printings: We think about making individual printings(German, English, Turkish, Spanish) - it looks good at the moment, because the printing is done AFTER the fabrication of the mat, so it would be possible regarding kosts :)
Reference link:
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&am...;p=75273#p75273

cosurgi said:
TaG said:
This may be of some interest:
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&am...;p=75273#p75273

Thanks, and maybe add the proposed layouts our new great unofficial pandora blog? Remember that they were carefully designed, after 6 months and over 50 pages of lenghty discussion:Ah, TaG, you are a poster there. I didn't notice before ;)

We never would have that many Keyboard-layout-discussion Threads if the devs simply had told us what Layout they plan to use. Such a simple thing could be finished Months ago but even today, there is no official confirmed layout so i'm really confused because if they can't decide a keyboard layout, how they decide even more complicated and complex things during production? :huh:
I just mean we are REALLY late in Pandora production but it seems that nobody has decided a final labeling of the pandora buttons. :( Thats very sad.

Yeah, right, exactly that.

And I'm drilling this topic so much, because I care about ergonomy. Even if that keyboard is not meant for writing 20 page essays, it still must be the best possible. Sometimes a small glitch can whack a whole product, better we avoid this possibility on all levels.

Personally, too, I'm planning to use keyboard on the go, for coding games. Really. I'm a C++ coder, but at my workstation I have no time for coding games, I got to do some real work. During travel I have a perfect excuse for not working. Yeah, I could carry a USB keyboard with me for that, but hey! What's the point?

EDIT: I'm a maniac, sorry. Now I shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back