Pandora - Looks A Bit 'cheapo'?

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
I hope when it's finally finished it has a great build quality and really looks professional, all the images i've seen of it so far just look rather cheapy or someone like Ben Heck made a case for some other console.. I mean, comparing the images to those of the GP2X Wiz, etc..

800px-Pandora-newrender.jpg

about4.jpg

Well, all the images and videos we've seen so far are CNC or FDM Cases (correct me if I'm wrong), which are not final cases. Some recent pictures have the new shiny keymat but that's still not the final version, etc., etc. Once they have the final components it will probably look just as good as (if not better than) other devices made by "big" companies. ;)

Edit:
And the Pandora image you just edited into your post is a fan-made render by the way.

The Wiz is finished and delivered. All pictures from the Pandora are prototype cases made by cnc treatment as far as I know. You have not seen the Wiz case in that state of the development. They will look different when their casted. Can you give an example of a 'cheapo' looking image of the Pandora?

gp2.eXe said:
Well, all the images and videos we've seen so far are CNC or FDM Cases (correct me if I'm wrong), which are not final cases. Some recent pictures have the new shiny keymat but that's still not the final version, etc., etc. Once they have the final components it will probably look just as good as (if not better than) other devices made by "big" companies. ;)

I hope you're right, because i'd really like to buy the pandora when it (eventually) comes out, I just hope it turns out to look like a nice slick peice of hardware

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, there are no pictures of a final unit, because such unit does not exist yet. Don't worry and trust the OP Team who has put so much effort into this little piece of awesome technology. ;)

Does anyone know the lights layout? I hope it does have a Bluetooth light as well as lights for both SD slots, WiFi, power, etc.

Also what's going on with the analog pads? I've seen pictures/videos with them with a black background, a white background and matching the colour of the screen (!! although that may have been a reflection).

Watch this video for the glowing stick bases I'm referring to - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOMFrOCti4&feature=related

The original nubs had a silver ring around them. The company that made those dropped the product, so they had to switch to a different one. Ended up going with a custom built one which does not have the silver ring around it.

Am I the only who does NOT think the Wiz looks better than that old Pandora renderer? ;p

Exophase said:
Am I the only who does NOT think the Wiz looks better than that old Pandora renderer? ;p
+1 lol (still want one though ;])

@ OP - it's been said before, nothing we've seen is final & certainly not that image you posted, so no fair comparison can really be made at this point. The (still prototype) pandora craig showed off in the most recent video from him (not the mweston one) looks more than solid to me. I trust the team's done a good job ensuring it isn't 'cheapo'. IIRC it's being made from a similar plastic as the DS, so it should be quite durable as well.

Exophase said:
I don't know, I was quite happy with the build quality of the Wiz. It seems pretty solid.

Maybe it has to do with you having a prototype Wiz, they did improve some things for production like the pad and the finish.

Exophase said:
I thought the headphone bulge in the red section makes it kind of look like the placement was an afterthought or maybe they couldn't get that deal on 2.5 jacks.

I just hope there is very little travel on the buttons and D-Pad because in the recent video it looks like they have to be pushed quite hard/far which means playing games will have slower reaction times and make your hands hurt a lot quicker. To work well you need buttons that move very little and have a nice obvious feel when they bottom out.

The glossy keys on http://openpandora.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/new_keymat.jpg look ultra cheap. I really hope the final unit does not have them. But I rather have glossy than another delay.

Spirit said:
The glossy keys on http://openpandora.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/new_keymat.jpg look ultra cheap. I really hope the final unit does not have them. But I rather have glossy than another delay.
In what way do they look cheap? plenty of things have glossy keys, the pre, blackberrys, etc. & they don't look cheap. Same stuff. And of course the final unit will have them, this was decided ages ago.

Spirit said:
The glossy keys on http://openpandora.f.../new_keymat.jpg look ultra cheap. I really hope the final unit does not have them. But I rather have glossy than another delay.

Hopefully the glossy keys are only looking cheap because they are being displayed on an FDM case. That can't be the best way to show them off.

Edit for typo

Back