Pandora Newsgroup?

ashdjones

o_O
I know Newsgroups are pretty old technology, but I think it would work really well for Pandora especially with the ability to syncronise posts for offline reading!

I haven't used Usenet for about 10 years, and when I mentioned it to my colleague she said she thought it was dead by now! I forgot how much annoying spam you can get, and I was dissapointed that the newsreader programs don't seem to have modernised.

Maybe we could run our own private server to avoid spam? I tried Thunderbird but it seems quite bloated and slow to load - I tried it at the Pandoras screen resolution and found it quite comfortable when you remove the toolbars and move the left-hand pane out of the way.

ashdjones said:
I know Newsgroups are pretty old technology, but I think it would work really well for Pandora especially with the ability to syncronise posts for offline reading!
The same could be achieved by subscribing to the RSS feeds in this forum - especially if you click the "view new posts" link, and subscribe to that

Last edited by a moderator:
benjymous said:
ashdjones said:
The same could be achieved by subscribing to the RSS feeds in this forum - especially if you click the "view new posts" link, and subscribe to that

Ah, that's interesting. I didn't know this! Are they organised into threads though?

ya, but u could upload files related to pandora up there....
games, videos, software...stuff like that

I can't figure out the RSS feeds. The best I've managed it to subscribe via email digest. How do I do it?

Interesting thought, I still use nntp quite a lot at work. There are also some good forum/newsgroup linking plugins around and I believe there is an Invision/nntp gateway available. This would save splitting the info.

hotblack said:
Interesting thought, I still use nntp quite a lot at work. There are also some good forum/newsgroup linking plugins around and I believe there is an Invision/nntp gateway available. This would save splitting the info.
This sounds interesting. Do you mean you can use say, this forum through your newsreader? How does it work?

These gateways generally run alongside the main server and act as a secondary interface to the backend database, therefore allowing reading from and posting to the forum via nntp as opposed to via http.

That sounds brilliant. Is it a lot of work to set up, because i'd really like to see this happen. How does it work regarding user authentication?

I'm testing out a program called Forumpilot right now. It's Windows, and closed source but I just wondered what was possible. I have to say that so far i'm not impressed, as it takes forever to syncronise content. I don't think the hit on the servers is too high from checking my download statistics, but it's probably still more than newsgroup traffic.

http://www.forumpilot.com

oblivioner said:
I use a lot the newsgroups too, so it would be a great idea.

i use newsgroups daily, and pretty much all one has to do to request a new group is to send a 'message' to one of the usenet providers and the group will be approved then created, and it will propagate to the rest of the servers on usenet.

ashdjones said:
That sounds brilliant. Is it a lot of work to set up, because i'd really like to see this happen. How does it work regarding user authentication?
It depends on the forum software and on the software used. I merely mention this gateway as it's technically possible and something I've seen and used in the past. I'm not sure about the feasibility of implementing it here is. This is something that would need to be setup by those who run the forum and have access to the servers it runs on.

User authentication would work as normal As it's just a different frontend to the same backend database. You connect to the server (this would be a private news server not a mirror of the forums on Usenet) using your nntp client and authenticate using your normal forum username and password.

hey if there was a newsgroup for the pandora i could upload alot of romsets as i have so damn many of them.(including psx complete,dreamcast, n64 and such)

it would take awhile but i'm sure others would help.

plus upload the optimized software and emulators to run the roms. i think a newsgroup would be the best idea in the world(but i'm an avid user of usenet so this is bias) :lol:

There seems to be a bunch of Pandora Newsgroups already.

Search here with the keyword pandora and you'll get a couple of results:

https://globalsearch.usenetserver.com/cgi-bin/groupfind.cgi

I got these results:

pandora.os.linux
pandora.games
pandora
alt.binaries.pandora
pandora.help
pandora.pub
pandora.test

When I get home I'm going to check out these groups. They could be for something else, I don't know.....anyone else?

enigma85 said:
hey if there was a newsgroup for the pandora i could upload alot of romsets as i have so damn many of them.(including psx complete,dreamcast, n64 and such)

it would take awhile but i'm sure others would help.

plus upload the optimized software and emulators to run the roms. i think a newsgroup would be the best idea in the world(but i'm an avid user of usenet so this is bias) :lol:
If it was an official newsgroup, I don't think this is what the developers would want. Maybe you could run a seperate rom group or something?

atomicthumbs said:
Since when can you create real Usenet groups that are outside the standard hierarchy? :huh:

pandora.* shouldn't be valid.
Don't know but there on Usenerserver and they work.

I guess they were created for something else and are mostly not used any more. I guess we could make use of them....including the alt.binaries.pandora group. :)

Back