Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
gibberish said:
craigix said:
Sorry for the last minute change - but we think in 6 months you will be very very pleased we did it.
please tell me you mean "in 6 months when there are more demanding applications being made/ported and the 256MB is an obvious benefit" and not "in 6 months when we begin shipping pandoras"

Yeah I was wondering this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I know the exchange rates are a mess at the moment, but we will try to make it whatever you paid last time you will pay this time and any slight mismatch we hope will be made up by the fact you have 256MB + 512MB (and that's coming out of our pocket).

256MB is just too good NOT to put in the Pandora. If anyone isn't happy about this and wants to cancel their order that is of course no problem, we understand.

I'll probably write up a more detailed newsletter for this soon. Sorry for the last minute change - but we think in 6 months you will be very very pleased we did it.
Wow. You guys absolutely "pwn"! :D

Now, when you say "in 6 months", are you saying that only the second batch will receive RAM, or the Pandora is delayed for another six months? Or that you'll finally start making profit in six months? :p

javaJake said:
Now, when you say "in 6 months", are you saying that only the second batch will receive RAM, or the Pandora is delayed for another six months? Or that you'll finally start making profit in six months? :p
Sounded like "more memory will make the device stay relevant down the road" to me.

Why delay at all?
There were populated final pcbs shown. So they have it since they are produced. Just the lack of LCDscreens could cause a delay. As far as i understood this.

craigix said:
But don't forget this is to make up for any fuss caused when we change banks, this will mostly be related to credit card orders.

What will probably happen is some of you may get an email saying we have refunded your order please reorder here (url). Just follow the instructions and everything will be cool.
I hope this doesn't mean that people who have to reorder will lose their place in the queue. I would hate to be put at the back of the queue if I have to reorder.

Also, will this affect the shipping date? With the pressure that christmas season puts on mail delivery, even the originally planned 30th November shipping date may be pushing it to get to Australia and in my hands before January. Any further delay means I'll be waiting a long time before I see one.

craigix said:
I know the exchange rates are a mess at the moment, but we will try to make it whatever you paid last time you will pay this time and any slight mismatch we hope will be made up by the fact you have 256MB + 512MB (and that's coming out of our pocket).
I'm OK to pay more for this upgrade, but with the current exchange rate, please dont refund me, just ask me th diff please.

++

mechanizeddeath said:
phrosty said:
Sounded like "more memory will make the device stay relevant down the road" to me.
That is how I interpreted it as well. I could see this resulting in a 1 month delay, 2 perhaps, but certainly not 6.

i think he meant that in half a year, when the software is starting to come together, and other similar devices will appear, that we'll be glad to see what the pandora is capable of, and that we'll appreciate the extra ram ^^

This is kick A$$ news. The options for this little bugger just exploaded in my mind. Now please dont take this as trying to re ignite the fear but wasnt it stated that more ram would half the battery life. Now im ok with this cause 4-5 hours still will beat almost any laptop out there. But i guess i maynot be remembering this correctly. Was this comment from the add more ram topic where they said that if you used the DDR controller it would eat the battery? So if the upgrade is part of the POP we should see a negligable decrease in battery life? Sorry just curious and cant find the original info.

This is just mint. Thank you devs!!!!!!!!!!
:wub:

there shouldnt be any delay,it would be just a confimation via the pandora team and the manafacturer as the build hasnt yet began
and its even possible the pandora team were offered the upgrade so its a matter of yes or no.

i say if its costing too much craigix shouldnt fit the bill,or cancel orders just up the shipping fee to ballance overheads,i like prolly everyone else would agree more ram is the way to go,we should have a poll.

a wise saying would be that you can never have enough memory.

a wise saying would be that you can never have enough memory.

Well, while the other guy said 640k should be enough for everyone *lol*

coming out of lurking :p

Dont u guys think its time to update the wiki's and spread the news to sites like digg and w/e ? and ive never really understood the "NAND" the only thing i understand is it will hold the os, anything else it will be important for ?

Ryuu said:

Dont u guys think its time to update the wiki's and spread the news to sites like digg and w/e ? and ive never really understood the "NAND" the only thing i understand is it will hold the os, anything else it will be important for ?
I would suggest to keep it 'secret' until Pandora is out and the pre-order for the second batch starts. That would explode like a bomb on digg ;)

Ryuu said:

Well, I guess it would be handy to be able to put programs on the nand instead of sdhc cards.

This is certainly a nice upgrade. I don't think it's nearly as game-changing as some seem to make out, though. There will be few, if any programs that will run now that wouldn't have before. Some programs will surely run better now that they don't have to use swap, but the tired old stement "128MB is all you really need" was not a lie.

yosh64 said:
hey

Just me again... another concern is that is there any chance of a hardware bug from making such a change?

cyas
Very unlikely. Remember the memory sits on the soc, so it's pretty much a complete package together. The nand chip should have the same foot print as the smaller size.
If the pinouts/foot print wasnt the same then they probably wouldn't have made these changes this late.

For example the BT change which happened a while back would have been a change that could have caused bugs, since it was a different chip from the wifi only chip that was being used.

Chip said:
This is certainly a nice upgrade. I don't think it's nearly as game-changing as some seem to make out, though. There will be few, if any programs that will run now that wouldn't have before. Some programs will surely run better now that they don't have to use swap, but the tired old stement "128MB is all you really need" was not a lie.

for once i have to disagree with you. with 128MB this was a capable handheld, but now it is a umpc ready for prime time. i imagine things like native compiling are possible now (with 6 firefox tabs open in the background and thunderbird, too). lack of ram is usually *the* bottleneck on small or old machines.

Chip said:

Think about the fact, that the RAM is shared among the system and the GPU. Now larger textures can be handled. And the most impact lies on the UMPC multitasking side of things. I've got a N800 with 128MB and so I know for sure that RAM is easily filled ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back