Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Svartalf said:
antheus123 said:
Why some credit card orders and not all?
Can we have some more info on this please.

It's probably because of anti-fraud measures with the varying cards, much like the PayPal purchasers found out.
Ok... but why would this suddenly become a problem purely due to a company changing banks? I have no problem with reordering, but it'd be nice to have some idea of which orders are affected, whether that be down to the type of credit card used, which banks/companies the "problem" cards come from, or whatever else it could possibly be.

Last edited by a moderator:
mazza558 said:
Wait, if you're making no money on the first batch, how will you be able to make a bigger second batch (as demand increases)?
I was wondering about this too

Prophet said:
You seem to share my penchant for cynicism.
The government here *canceled* a 5 year old university I'd been working with since Day 1, and after construction was finished and with hundreds of students mid-program. That doesn't just foster cynicism, it fosters outright distrust and paranoia. I've been working my way back down to cynicism for years now... :)

SteveM said:
Svartalf said:
antheus123 said:
Why some credit card orders and not all?
Can we have some more info on this please.

It's probably because of anti-fraud measures with the varying cards, much like the PayPal purchasers found out.
Ok... but why would this suddenly become a problem purely due to a company changing banks? I have no problem with reordering, but it'd be nice to have some idea of which orders are affected, whether that be down to the type of credit card used, which banks/companies the "problem" cards come from, or whatever else it could possibly be.

I'd like to also know some specific details on this.

Yigguth said:
mazza558 said:
Wait, if you're making no money on the first batch, how will you be able to make a bigger second batch (as demand increases)?
I was wondering about this too

with money from pre-orders?

the fact that they can make a bigger batch is probably just down to the factory allowing them to. money isnt an issue if everybody is paying before hand.

mazza558 said:
I'm assuming for the normal reasons: Initial production has huge overhead costs. If you consider that the first Pandora probably costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to make, and subsequent pandora will be a lot closer to 200GBP, making no money on the first batch makes a lot of sense.

Most companies usually take a loss on their first production run. Breaking even on the first 3-4000 would be excellent news.

Bryce Leo said:
I hope i don't get canceled, i ordered in the first 45mins... which should put me in that 640 range... which would be one of the first of the first batch.... *crosses fingers*
Even if you do end up having to reorder, I'm sure they'll be able to slot you back in the list where you belong based on name/address/original order number or such like. IIRC they did the same for the canceled PayPal orders.

well for what its worth if my new upgraded Pandora gets in my hands by Xmass, ide be willing to buy a 20$ pandora digital logo fit for printing on a sticker, to help suport the Pandora team 8)~

the team could use it as they see fit, either help recoup cost, fatten the dev fund, grab a beer, or profesional massage i dont care :>

More ram sounds awesome. But any word on which cards are gonna have problems?

If you're like me and don't generally like hunting through threads, here's the first post from Craig about switching banks on page Five of the "Pandora Fears" thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...44999&st=60

I really hate it when this information ends up deep in some difficult to find thread. I learn about it three rumour generations later when it's blown out of proportion.

I'll repeat my plea that new information (particularly info that would generate 8 pages of reply thread) should be posted as a new thread, rather than a reply to an existing thread. It's certainly not a waste of forum space, and I prefer to get my information from the source!

I ordered with CC, and I do NOT want my order canceled.

Since the order the Canadian dollar dropped by a lot. If I get canceled I will lose about 50$ just in conversion fees. I will NOT reorder and just accept my losses and use my current ipod touch. :(

I payed by CC and I don't understand why it is necessary to refund orders that have already been payed for. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

PortaSoup said:
SteveM said:
I have no problem with reordering, but it'd be nice to have some idea of which orders are affected, whether that be down to the type of credit card used, which banks/companies the "problem" cards come from, or whatever else it could possibly be.

I'd like to also know some specific details on this.

Hopefully there'll be announcement before this becomes the second PayPal fiasco ;-) While I appreciate Craig being so up-front on these matters, to be honest I'd rather hear it all a day later and have all the facts, than have a sketchy announcement a day earlier but nothing to go on but speculation.

cbp said:
I ordered with CC, and I do NOT want my order canceled.

Since the order the Canadian dollar dropped by a lot. If I get canceled I will lose about 50$ just in conversion fees. I will NOT reorder and just accept my losses and use my current ipod touch. :(
Keep a close eye on the news... The Canadian dollar has shot up almost 5 US cents in the past 2 days, mostly due to the US drop in interest rates. And most of our dollar's losses are USD gains only. The CAD/GBP rate is about 4% different from when we ordered, perhaps $20CAD or 10GBP extra for a pandora.

Ideally it would be nice to re-order directly in GBP if we had to re-order... My credit card shows the order in GBP anyways, and there's no reason for we Canadians to order GBP>USD>CAD if the USD is so whacko right now.

CAD should level off to about 90 cents US in the next year or so...

EDIT: Exchange rates can be found at http://xe.com/ for anyone with a good constitution.

Oscaruzzo said:
craigix said:
Doom3 anyone?
Am I missing something? How could Doom3 be ported anywhere without full source code? :huh:

Its source code will be opened when Rage is released, according to ID Software

When you say you won't make money with the first batch do you mean you'll break even or you'll make a loss? (The latter wouldn't be so good...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back