Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone change the first post to something that holds a little more ground?

Well, now it is pretty much certain that Zelda Classic will run fully on the Pandora!

WizardStan said:
cranker said:
cbp said:
I ordered with CC, and I do NOT want my order canceled.

Since the order the Canadian dollar dropped by a lot. If I get canceled I will lose about 50$ just in conversion fees. I will NOT reorder and just accept my losses and use my current ipod touch. :(

I agree, just bill the difference if there is an incremental cost instead of a refund, I am a canadian customer too.

Also How do we know who needs to re-order? sounds like a possible mess :(

Pandora team: please clarify as soon as possible....thx

As a fellow Canadian I think you're both insane and paying too much attention to what the media wants you to believe. It's embarrassing.
In the last month, there has been a 1 cent change between CAD and GBP. If you paid in pounds, that translates to a difference of 2GBP, or about 4 CAD.
If you paid in USD, there's still only been a drop of 6 cents comparatively. 20 CAD is the difference you pay, and an extra 128 megs of RAM is worth my $20.
Now stop listening to the media and their doomsday speculation, turn off the TV, and hit the internet for some actual research and numbers.

Oops...I guess I was looking at the US dollar exchange rate......................................:)

Last edited by a moderator:
daveski said:
I know I have had a stupid grin on my face all afternoon, just like the one I had when I had my pre-order confirmed. :D
Me too :D

shodan said:
Great news!
Thanks Pandora-Team.
I like your style :) :)

....and I see Quake-Live going live on my Pandora YEAH!
Yeah! Feel free to eat my rockets, boy :p

a wise saying would be that you can never have enough memory.

Well, while the other guy said 640k should be enough for everyone *lol*

oh! him? thought he died or something, if he didn`t I`m sending the doll and pins back for a refund...

those people wondering about delays, I think it works like this, some banks are being a bit paranoid about clearing funds for something that isn`t made yet, so the money will HAVE to be refunded (unless you have incriminating photos of your banks CEO that is), then you can re-present the money to get your Pandora

the delay will be only so far as waiting for the cash to clear back into Craigs account, he aint gonna send the item until he has the money...naturaly, so the delay should be slight... also, if you get a refund it will be at the current value of the Pandora in UK pounds, so you just bounce that sum right back at him, if you do it fast enough it shouldn`t cost you a penny more as far as I can see, thats how financiers make money, should work for you too.

or thats how I read it.

I also noticed he wrote about the current state of supply of components, I understand his post to mean all the parts are in hand and they where just waiting for the rest of the screens (he has 640 available atm), so he may be assembling the first 640 devices RIGHT NOW!!!!!

ooooooh

:D

I didn't get a chance to read too much of this thread because I'm at work, but I understand there's some problems with the bank Craig is using to accept the preorders.

Any word on what is going to happen to orders done by bank transfer?

I was one of the few that tried to preorder via paypal and had been refunded, after paypal finally gave me the money back I put that money on a credit card which took a couple days to credit.. only to find out that by that time they were no longer accepting credit card preorders. Then I paid using the bank transfer, it's been about 2 weeks now and I haven't received confirmation, I sent an email to Jaquelyn but no response as of yet.

I don't care about the hassle because it'll be really worth it when I actually get a Pandora in my hands, I'm just worried about being totally unable to pay for it and possibly missing out on the preorder entirely. Now that it has 256mb RAM, I'm even more excited/anxious.

TaG said:
gpx74532 said:
craigix said:
I'll probably write up a more detailed newsletter for this soon. Sorry for the last minute change - but we think in 6 months you will be very very pleased we did it.
It would be great if you could send an email to people who do not need to reorder together with people who do need to reorder. This means people can trace up if they do not get an email either way instead of having to enquire to double check they do not need to reorder.I think this is essential, otherwise people will be filling the boards with "I didn't get an email, is my order ok????". We'll all be dreading the emails though...

Gonna have to third this, I ordered by card and would like to know if I have to do something or nothing, because not getting an email could mean that I'm fine, but it could also mean that email delivery failed in some magical internet kind of way.

And before someone suggests it: my card is based at a different bank than my bank account, so I'm not sure about the logistics of getting money deposited back and whether or not I could just check my bank balance to see if the money has been refunded or whether it's somehow tacked onto my card.

Eniko said:
And before someone suggests it: my card is based at a different bank than my bank account, so I'm not sure about the logistics of getting money deposited back and whether or not I could just check my bank balance to see if the money has been refunded or whether it's somehow tacked onto my card.

If it's anything like my card, which has had many refunds applied to it over the years, then you just call them up and ask.

We won't make a loss and the first batch will pay for moulds, set up costs, test units and recent development costs, but there won't be any profit for us, or even a chance for us to get all our invested money back.

The next batch is much easier because we will have established credit lines, from that batch we hope to start making some money.

As for the credit card thing, yeah it's a pain but we want to move banks and the old bank won't let us take the card orders with us.

Moving to a new bank is essential now the project is bigger and we need a bank which can let us grow and manage us in a professional way, the current bank is unwilling to do this. It could be effects of the banking crisis on them, I just don't know, but we will write more about it once it's done.

Thanks for all being so understanding about it, and we will handle it in a neat and tidy way, keeping you in your original order - and the 256MB will pay for itself in the coming months I'm sure! We can really go head to head with some of these bigger x86 machines now. Fun times!

I don't give a damn what the negative nancies around here say, 256MB of RAM and a usable amount of NAND = Win. This is the best news I've heard so far, by far. Does this mean I can order more Pandora this time around? :)

If I can offer an opposing viewpoint, one that I'm sure 99% of you will vehemently disagree with... I'm not thrilled about paying even a dollar more than I have already paid for a Pandora. I doubt I will ever make much use of the extra RAM (nothing I plan to do will be substantially aided by it). The device was at the top of my "widget" budget already, so any extra cost tips it into the realm of "not financially sensible" for me.

I sincerely hope that currency fluctations are not too severe, or you might have one extra first batch Pandora to sell to a lucky customer :)

On the one hand I greatly appreciate you making this change for the first batch. It would have been a slap in the face to early adopters if it was only implemented for the second batch. Kudos for this.

On the other hand, I wish you could wait another month before switching banks, to avoid this malarky. I do understand there are circumstances which you cannot discuss which may be forcing your hand though.

Will all people who paid with credit cards have to reorder or just some of them?
If you are one of the people who have to reorder, did you get an email saying so?
If not, will such an email be sent?
If you have to reorder, will your place in the preorder list be safe?
Sorry for all those questions, but I don't want to let this very nice machine slip through my fingers because of petty bankers! The upgraded ram is awesome news! I was always short on ram on my Zaurus, and this is four times the ram of that thing!

Im very happy to hear the news of the upgrade for sure, but I got one question regading the refund.

Im in the UK and payed via credit card, but since then ive payed the credit card off so i got zero balance (which is a good thing of course :p ) but if you refund onto that, how does that work!! can a credit card have plus money in there?? i don't know cos i havent been in this situation and of course don't want some bank error thats cost me money. . .

any bank managers out there that can answer that?

Cheers

Yes, if you get a refund to your credit card, your card will have a credit balance rather than a debit balance. You will not get any interest added or removed whilst you have a credit balance.

However, some banks MAY charge for translating currency, depending on where you are in the world, what your card currency is, and which site you used. If you didn't get charged it for sending the money, you will not be charged for the refund.

GoblinKing said:
Im very happy to hear the news of the upgrade for sure, but I got one question regading the refund.

Im in the UK and payed via credit card, but since then ive payed the credit card off so i got zero balance (which is a good thing of course :p ) but if you refund onto that, how does that work!! can a credit card have plus money in there?? i don't know cos i havent been in this situation and of course don't want some bank error thats cost me money. . .

any bank managers out there that can answer that?

Cheers
Credit cards can have positive account values.

If your limit is low, it's a great way to take a vacation: Put extra money into the card *before* you go. My wife and I did this on vacation back in '99, it worked great.

You don't get to make money at 19% interest, though...

I for one think that this idea is beyond great. We are going to want to use it to browse the internet and will probably be embracing fennec at some point in the future, since it looks awesome. Anyhow, I currently own a nokia n800 which also happens to have 128MB of ram and I can personally vouch for the fact that while it is enough to start the program, it does take a long time to start and that opening multiple pages nearly gridlocks it. If people are planning on running a complete ubuntu distro on here 256MB is definitely a must.

With this change, the pandora will be simply amazing. My only regret is that I was flat broke for the whole duration of the pre-order. Here is to hoping that the second wave sells soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back