Pandora On Engadget

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hardly see anyone following Gizmodo for their "accuracy" on anything technological. It has always seemed like a bunch of 12 year olds "pwning" the world as if anyone cared but themselves. People often fear what they don't know and in the case of technology fear is quickly replaced by arrogance and anger. So sorry if the Pandora has more capability than a PSP or a DS. Im sure Sony and Nintendo will continue to put out the same games they do whether the Pandora does well or not. But I would be interested to see how the success of the Pandora might affect those consoles (and I have a strong suspicion it will). After all, after the success of the Wii, Sony miraculously introduced motion control to their system. Albeit sloppy, but the feature seemed to capitalize on the success of the Wii but was never mentioned prior to the release of the Wii. Stick to Engadget for more reliable opinions. Peruse Gizmodo if you want to find 12 year olds to scream into their microphones while "pwning" each-other during Call of Duty.

From the future:

I think the Pandora 2 will be amazing, we just need to wait another few weeks months they'll ship it when it's ready!

no but seriously I hope you don't have as much trouble if you decide to make a different one in 4 or 5 years.

Well done Engadget.
And watch out Gizmondo... you just made some powerless but dedicated enemies.

Engadget has been blogging about the pandora positively for a while, though engadget, joystiq, wii/xbox360/ps3 fanboy commenters are some of the dumbest people you will find on the internet. Gizmodo, not being able to compete if they release the same stuff, releases the same news but with an angrier, negative viewpoint for no real reason. OMG, ITS A FAT DS!

I hate games journalism.

nice to see engadget and gizmodo posted my news submissions about the pandora to them

as for comments on either site, i would take none seriously, the vast majority of folks dont give a toss whats commented on those sites, nnice to see more exposure for pandora and thats what matters

craigix said:
Forget the big sites, GP32Spain has some users who have serious hate for the Pandora and that's kind of part of our niche device scene. See the thread on the recently released video there, slightly depressing reading. It's not all of GP32Spain though, just a select few, I know we have some great followers there and I enjoy reading the non-bashing posts.

I don't know where the hate comes from or why, it's probably many many reasons and sources. Some people seem to be actively working to make us fail too, like emailing google and paypal to 'tell' on us and try to get our accounts frozen/banned.

I guess it's just the old Sega vs. Nintendo shit from years gone by. Some people just don't grow out of it.
Psychologically, people hate what they don't understand.
Seriously think about it.

Racism,
Homosexual hatred,
US vs. Japanese cars vs. European cars.
PC vs. Mac's

Its not just competition... its what people don't understand about something that causes them to hate without knowing. Its too bad too.... many people in this world are so closed off from the rest of whats out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
MilanC said:
It's on Hackaday too.
i loved when hackaday turned from being based on actual hacks, reworkings, and other things people did to their technology and turned into a generic tech blog

PoisonedV said:
i loved when hackaday turned from being based on actual hacks, reworkings, and other things people did to their technology and turned into a generic tech blog

Me too! Oh wait... no... what's that other word? Oh yeah, "hated". That's the word. I always get those two confused. :p

TJFBryant said:
Psychologically, people hate what they don't understand.
PC vs. Mac's

This one is actually different from the rest, this has more to do with the way Apple brands it's useless products, and their zombie customer base really doesn't help.

craigix said:
Some people seem to be actively working to make us fail too, like emailing google and paypal to 'tell' on us and try to get our accounts frozen/banned.
Intruiging statement, which reminds me - do first batch preorder custoemrs get a freebie copy of The Book?

I gotta agree with Username, all a Mac is anymore, is a vastly overpriced and rebranded PC with a rebranded Linux-based distribution. The vast majority of people will be excited about whatever their more wealthy or more trendy friends are raving about in an effort to "Keep up with the Joneses." One thing I have always liked about Linux and the Pandora project for that matter is that it is a device that seems to be designed and contributed by individuals who could give a crap less about the Joneses. However, in the back of my mind it might introduce revolutionary mobile computing concepts that could one day dictate what the Joneses are buying. Who knows, maybe we might one day see turtle-neck sweater wearing yuppies standing around sipping Starbucks foo foo lattes and remarking about how trendy they are now that they have their Pandoras just like everyone else. Ya never know........................

Eternalodyssey said:
I gotta agree with Username, all a Mac is anymore, is a vastly overpriced and rebranded PC with a rebranded Linux-based distribution. The vast majority of people will be excited about whatever their more wealthy or more trendy friends are raving about in an effort to "Keep up with the Joneses." One thing I have always liked about Linux and the Pandora project for that matter is that it is a device that seems to be designed and contributed by individuals who could give a crap less about the Joneses. However, in the back of my mind it might introduce revolutionary mobile computing concepts that could one day dictate what the Joneses are buying. Who knows, maybe we might one day see turtle-neck sweater wearing yuppies standing around sipping Starbucks foo foo lattes and remarking about how trendy they are now that they have their Pandoras just like everyone else. Ya never know........................
It extends further then these trendy kids using them. My uni exclusively uses Macs for everything in the art department. I bring my laptop in to do all my work instead. :blink:

EDIT: I mean seriously, using Maya with a fricken ONE button mouse? No mouse wheels?! Blasphemy!

I hate that shit- design people always using macs. It says less about macs and more about designers being dumb, they act like trend setters but really the fact that they all proclaim they use mac for its superior design is bullshit. None of the build in mac programs are suitable for professional design, there are nowhere near as many 3D design programs, the Adobe suite is on Windows, along with almost all other professional-grade application suites, more open source design software is on windows and linux, etc etc

(also I stated earlier I hate games journalism- even the comments on dcemu are apallingly bad. I expected better. i have no problem criticizing the pandora and do it almost the most frequently of many of the buyers, but offering dumb criticisms without knowledge and other stuff really makes you look like a cunt. Also, the first reply talks about running windows xp and farcry on it... that sets the stage for the intelligence of the rest of the posts)

PoisonedV said:
I hate that shit- design people always using macs. It says less about macs and more about designers being dumb, they act like trend setters but really the fact that they all proclaim they use mac for its superior design is bullshit. None of the build in mac programs are suitable for professional design, there are nowhere near as many 3D design programs, the Adobe suite is on Windows, along with almost all other professional-grade application suites, more open source design software is on windows and linux, etc etc

(also I stated earlier I hate games journalism- even the comments on dcemu are apallingly bad. I expected better. i have no problem criticizing the pandora and do it almost the most frequently of many of the buyers, but offering dumb criticisms without knowledge and other stuff really makes you look like a cunt. Also, the first reply talks about running windows xp and farcry on it... that sets the stage for the intelligence of the rest of the posts)
While I am not sure about your claims about more professional 3D/design software being available for the Mac, the claim about not enough open-source software being available on OS X is a tiny bit ridiculous. As you are well aware, OS X is a POSIX-compliant system, which means most software can be recompiled and quite easily be made to run on OS X (aside from kernel-dependent modules/utilities which generally one should not consider anyway). There are systems that offer gentoo-like (or FreeBSD like) "ports" mechanisms for compiling such software and its dependencies automatically - like macports or fink. The quality of applications on OS X seems to be quite phenomenal, especially for the smallish, independently developed ones.

Advantages over Linux: easy to use, no need to dive into package managers, native ZFS support, in addition to the things mentioned above. Think of OS X as a properly designed User Interface layer on top of *nix userland - all the benefits, none of the costs of having applications that are mostly wrappers for console utilities to edit random text-based configuration files. :p Add to that the innovations in hardware and software that are becoming ever more available for Macs (multi-touch gestures, LLVM-accelerated OpenGL implementation, OpenCL support in 10.6 - just to mention some of my favourite ones) and I really have trouble seeing where people are saying that Mac is somehow worse than Windows or Linux. Sure, it's quite expensive on the one hand, but I've had more than my fair share of problems with laptop manufacturers to appreciate the hardware Apple makes.

Disclaimer: I run Gentoo (have been for 5 years) as well as OS X, mainly to test various things like KDE 4.2 for example (and while it is available for OS X, why would you need it when you have terminal and the whole desktop interface? :) )

P.S. Technically, I would think that OS X is more structured than Linux in terms of its features and the API it provides (disregarding the POSIX apis) - but that is simply because the development is centralised by Apple rather than not. The upside is that it can also be technically superior (see OpenCL for example), but has much less driver support for running on non-apple hardware (if that's your thing).

MDave said:
EDIT: I mean seriously, using Maya with a fricken ONE button mouse? No mouse wheels?! Blasphemy!
Let the USB mice reign. Amen. :eek: To be fair, that is one thing I do find annoying, but it is easily remedied... The aluminium keyboard is awesome however, not least because the keys are swappable so that you can have any physical layout you want. That and the F1-F19 :blink:

wait, did i get this right - people were discussing how human hatred stems from ignorance, and then the subjects shifts toward mac bashing by people who have shown little understanding of the technology and workings behind apple's desktops (a 're-branded linux'? oh dear). wait, there was a word about this.. ah, yes - irony!

here's some food for thought for some of you: i'm a technocrat, a professional game developer, have been doing computer graphics since apple2, and have been running a mac at home for years now, along various other systems. moreover, quite a few of my friends, again, professionals who i'd say are even more technocratic in their views (again, some of them long-time game developers, and other - people i'd trust my tightest project deadline with), have chosen macs for their home desktops. so, how does that fit your little view of apple customers being 'sheep following apple'? surely, apple products come at a premium, but so do many other worthy things in life. apropos, are you so sure the things you buy are all priced right?

i frankly i don't intend to argue in defence of this or that apple technology (not all of them deserve it, anyway) and i don't care how deeply confused some of you might be, but seeing how some of you fellow pandorians are readily making clowns of yourselves on a public board, i just decided to give you a heads up. cheers!

Yeah. Mac OS X is actually re-branded BSD Unix. Very little, if any of it, is taken from Linux. The Safari web browser, of course, is based on the open source Webkit thingie.

But there are valid reasons to hate Apple. Their software only runs on their hardware, which is expensive and puts too much effort into looking shiny and too much money into marketing. And I have little use for their software anyway, Linux does all the cool Unix things that it does, and Windows has all the same media production software that is available for OS X.

And they have spent all kinds of money on commercials that insist that they are not Personal Computers. I can't imagine what they THINK they are, but they insist that they are not personal computers.

Anyway, I intend to build the rest of my desktop computers to save cost, and I have little interest in Apple's laptops [They start at 1 kilodollars, what is that?]

Vladimir said:
PoisonedV said:

While I am not sure about your claims about more professional 3D/design software being available for the Mac, the claim about not enough open-source software being available on OS X is a tiny bit ridiculous. As you are well aware, OS X is a POSIX-compliant system, which means most software can be recompiled and quite easily be made to run on OS X (aside from kernel-dependent modules/utilities which generally one should not consider anyway). There are systems that offer gentoo-like (or FreeBSD like) "ports" mechanisms for compiling such software and its dependencies automatically - like macports or fink. The quality of applications on OS X seems to be quite phenomenal, especially for the smallish, independently developed ones.

Advantages over Linux: easy to use, no need to dive into package managers, native ZFS support, in addition to the things mentioned above. Think of OS X as a properly designed User Interface layer on top of *nix userland - all the benefits, none of the costs of having applications that are mostly wrappers for console utilities to edit random text-based configuration files. :p Add to that the innovations in hardware and software that are becoming ever more available for Macs (multi-touch gestures, LLVM-accelerated OpenGL implementation, OpenCL support in 10.6 - just to mention some of my favourite ones) and I really have trouble seeing where people are saying that Mac is somehow worse than Windows or Linux. Sure, it's quite expensive on the one hand, but I've had more than my fair share of problems with laptop manufacturers to appreciate the hardware Apple makes.

Disclaimer: I run Gentoo (have been for 5 years) as well as OS X, mainly to test various things like KDE 4.2 for example (and while it is available for OS X, why would you need it when you have terminal and the whole desktop interface? :) )

P.S. Technically, I would think that OS X is more structured than Linux in terms of its features and the API it provides (disregarding the POSIX apis) - but that is simply because the development is centralised by Apple rather than not. The upside is that it can also be technically superior (see OpenCL for example), but has much less driver support for running on non-apple hardware (if that's your thing).

MDave said:
Let the USB mice reign. Amen. :eek: To be fair, that is one thing I do find annoying, but it is easily remedied... The aluminium keyboard is awesome however, not least because the keys are swappable so that you can have any physical layout you want. That and the F1-F19 :blink:

Yeah, but something is pretty wrong with having to bring your own USB 3 button mousewheel mouse into class. Then hope the app supports it anyway. I hear they are going to upgrade all the macs with that mighty mouse eventually though. There must of been enough complaints :p

Vladimir said:
PoisonedV said:

MDave said:

darkblu said:
wait, did i get this right - people were discussing how human hatred stems from ignorance, and then the subjects shifts toward mac bashing by people who have shown little understanding of the technology and workings behind apple's desktops (a 're-branded linux'? oh dear). wait, there was a word about this.. ah, yes - irony!

here's some food for thought for some of you: i'm a technocrat, a professional game developer, have been doing computer graphics since apple2, and have been running a mac at home for years now, along various other systems. moreover, quite a few of my friends, again, professionals who i'd say are even more technocratic in their views (again, some of them long-time game developers, and other - people i'd trust my tightest project deadline with), have chosen macs for their home desktops. so, how does that fit your little view of apple customers being 'sheep following apple'? surely, apple products come at a premium, but so do many other worthy things in life. apropos, are you so sure the things you buy are all priced right?

i frankly i don't intend to argue in defence of this or that apple technology (not all of them deserve it, anyway) and i don't care how deeply confused some of you might be, but seeing how some of you fellow pandorians are readily making clowns of yourselves on a public board, i just decided to give you a heads up. cheers!
Indeed, Mac OS X is built on top of Unix.

However, I must say this to both of you:

The Mac OS X UI is the worst UI I have ever used in my life. I would rather use Windows 3.1 than that piece of shit. I'll admit that they have decent hardware, albeit a little overpriced, but I will never compliment that UI unless it goes through a serious overhaul.

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back