What Sort Of Reviews Will The Pandora Get?

mazza558

See the thread title.

Since the Pandora is getting pretty close to release, some sites might get their hands on one (e.g Engadget, Ars Technica) and review it. What do you think they'll be saying about it?

What will the overall consensus be?

I reckon the folk at Engadget will be all like :wub:

On the whole though, I think the common thread between reviews will be "huge potential, niche market." That'll be early on though. If the device starts to draw the interest of biggish software development teams, the tech press will realise that it's so much more than a GP2X-like oddity.

Hopefully it will be crowned "2009 Gadget of the Year"! :)

It may depend on what software is available at the time of the review, and the ability of the reviewer to realize the potential, instead of writing it off as 'meh, just another netbook'. :rolleyes:

:pandora1: should easily standout from other gadgets though, due to it's gaming controls. I am very interested to see what people think of the hardware itself: keypad, nubs, screen, etc.

The pre-order people will either become vindicated or look like the biggest bunch of suckers on the planet.

2009 bit of nerd tech? or maybe 2009 scam of the year?

As for reviews Im sure there will be plenty of people moaning about things which were done intentionally (i'm speaking of the OS of course).

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
As for reviews Im sure there will be plenty of people moaning about things which were done intentionally (i'm speaking of the OS of course).
Why would people moan about the OS? The main distro already seems capable enough and there's some tweak time before launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
One Linux mag mentioned Pandora, I think it was Linux Format about one maybe two months ago. It was only a couple of lines along the lines of 'not yet seen in the wild'.

Hopeful that there will be something to show them soon.

It does all depend on how it all ends up feeling, working, looking etc but i'm not really playing fair by the nice thread idea by mentioning that so assuming the above are all as good as we hope i expect....

The words linux, angstrom, homebrew, emulation, gamepark, gp2x, gp32 and geek to be lavishly tossed about.

Some comparison to the surprise success of netbooks and mentions of the pre-order rush tempering comments about how niche and geeky the whole thing might seem.

Interest in the unusual business model and community involvement in the project.

The most impressive emus and apps touted to grab attention. "Psx games!" "Firefox!"

A last line joke about its fitness for secretive pron viewing.

Oh and a huge swathe of idiot comments mis-comparing it to existing devices and expressing smug shock that anyone could be impressed by such a thing.

I assume we ll all be here debating the merits of navigating such posts from the nubs v the touchscreen. :)

Why would you say that?
I imagine it'll be as simple to use as the GP2X. Drag n' drop games and emulators from your computer. What's so hard about that?

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
The pre-order people will either become vindicated or look like the biggest bunch of suckers on the planet.

2009 bit of nerd tech? or maybe 2009 scam of the year?

Wow, you're even more anti Pandora than Orkie :D
Good on ya :)

Mithrildor said:
In one a sentence: A really great gaming device , which is sadly to hard to use for beginners in Linux.

That's what I think the reviewers would say.
They didn't say that about the Mattel JuiceBox. They didn't say that about TIVO. They didn't say that about the WRT45G Router. They didn't say that about the many other devices people use in their everyday lives that already run Linux whether they realize it or not. I can't imagine any reason why the Pandora (once the GUI is complete) would be any different.

I think the magazines should be sent Pandoras for review AFTER the first batch has been sent out

Let the first orders get out there ... Get the buzz going, get some half decent emulators showing the possibilities of this baby.

Then let the press at them

Simply sending out the first rush of devices may do more harm than good - you want to bestow an established supply chain, great apps, great potential apps and a modest userbase created without much press coverage

That way when the reviewers do see the Pandoras they will think - this thing has the potentional, with a established userbase and great developer community behind it as well as some great apps emulators already running

=====
gp32_console + :gp2x and Hopefully Very Soon!!! a :pandora1:

http://gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

RajTakhar said:
I think the magazines should be sent Pandoras for review AFTER the first batch has been sent out
SCREW THAT!
I am one of those people hoping to get my hands on one of the extra 200-300 hundred. :p

It depends on who reviews them. Linux dudes will be all positive. All the boys and girls that asked their mom and dads to get them one for christmas, expecting to play The Sims and Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 are going to be boo. All the hardcore gamers expecting to play new fancy DS and PSP commercial quality games are going to be dissapointed, but won't mind since they can play emulated games anyway. Gadget geeks are either going to love or hate it, depending on form factor, features and functionality etc.

Everyone registered on these boards just for the pandora are going to generally like it, to extremely foaming at the mouths for craig's signature. Maybe a few oddballs will hate it, but pre-orded one anyway :p

Gruso said:
I reckon the folk at Engadget will be all like :wub:

On the whole though, I think the common thread between reviews will be "huge potential, niche market." That'll be early on though. If the device starts to draw the interest of biggish software development teams, the tech press will realise that it's so much more than a GP2X-like oddity.
I really hope so, given their other posts about the pandora with titles such as: Pandora boots up, flashes colors on screen.

audovoice said:
RajTakhar said:
SCREW THAT!
I am one of those people hoping to get my hands on one of the extra 200-300 hundred. :p

I'm confused, sending the review Pandoras after or before the paying customers makes no difference to you, there will still be the same amount to fight over (first batch = pre-orders + review items + a few more). Or are you suggesting no review Pandoras should be sent out from the first batch? That would be silly.

As a member of the press I would support the Pandora's being sent to users, some of whom will potentially be developers, before the press. I've covered the Tapwave Zodiac, GP2X and Nokia N8xx in some form or another and, particularly with the GP2X and Tapwave Zodiac, because I got these early on in their lifetime, they had not reached their "prime" or got anywhere near it.

OpenMoko, for example, warned me that their newly minted product would be an incredibly basic phone with little to no advanced functionality until the community produced it (I never did get my hands on one, either).

Obviously, I'm as interested in the Pandora as everyone else so I would love to get my hands on one as soon as possible, but am no stranger to waiting and waiting for things.

If possible I'll be taking a stance of continuous press coverage of the Pandora. No cut and dry review can do these products justice, my attempts to adequately cover the N810 in the short period of time Nokia would loan it to me are a good example,.I had a brief run in with the fantastic community, a look at some essential apps and barely scratched the surface. It'll now almost run Android but I'm no longer on the scene to cover it, simply because I can't *buy* everything!

I fully know what to expect from the Pandora and understand that "the community" as as big a part of the experience as the device itself. My coverage will reflect this.

Sadly, as Gadgetoid isn't the most popular site in the universe I don't expect to get my hands on a Pandora ever, much less from the first batch. The same goes for the GP2X Wiz which I will also endeavor to cover. As much as I would love to be a part of the community (again) and cover every little homebrew gem to grace these devices I can barely scratch up the cash for one and certainly not both!

You may remember me from such publications as GP2X.gadgetoid.com (http://web.archive.org/web/20051223060338/http://www.gp2x.gadgetoid.com/).

I miss those days :(

Hello to any old friends! I can't for the life of me remember anyone's names!

Back