Pandora on Slashgear

Wiki to the rescue! No solar alignment or anything like that, it's just very simple multiplication. In the long date format, a day is a kin, 20 kin equals one Uinal, 18 Uinal equals one Tun, 20 Tun equals one Ka'Tun, 20 Ka'tun equals one Bak'tun, and 20 Bak'tun equals one Pictun. So one Bak'tun is about 394 years. Starting from 3114BCE, we see that we are just about at the end of the 13th bak'tun. That's all it means: 394 years has passed since the last time 394 years had passed.

from what i understand, a "pictun" starts on this dec 12th 2012 thing, which hasnt happened before, as they only counted up to "baktuns" and the mayans used a 5 number date, consisting as you said, of baktuns, katuns, tuns, uinal, and kins, so dec 12th 2012, would be the first Pictun, so the date 13.0.0.0.0 would be dec12th 2012, which for some reason is a new "Great Cycle" or "Mayan Era" for them

The first pictun doesn't happen for 7884 years, so not until 4771. We're definitely just starting into the 14th bak'tun.

FoFNZ.gif

What's this talk of "a revised verions of the OMAP3" on engadget and "

a new OMAP3 processor" on pocketables??

Last edited by a moderator:
What's this talk of "a revised verions of the OMAP3" on engadget and "

a new OMAP3 processor" on pocketables??

Could be two things:

The OMAPs on the PCBs from Germany are a more recent revision, which have some bugs fixed (like the copy from SD-to-SD-bug) and it also has a newer revision of the SGX.

Or they could mean the DM3730.

We've got 2000 of the old OMAPs left, so we could switch to the DM3730 easily after that.

However, as Ari64 mentioned with his testing, it wouldn't make a big difference in speed.

The DM3730 usually only overclocks to a maximum of 1,2 GHz. Many of the current OMAPs do that as well.

The DM3730 is a bit cheaper though.

Basically, the biggest difference between the DM3730 and the current OMAPs would be that the DM3730 claims to be running at a default speed of 800MHz. But then again, every OMAP I've seen can do that as well.

EvilDragon, if for nothing other than costs I would appreciate considerations of the DM3730. I like the idea of a slightly more powerfuly Pandora, particularly at a slightly reduced price if, and only if, it could be easily managed.

Basically, the biggest difference between the DM3730 and the current OMAPs would be that the DM3730 claims to be running at a default speed of 800MHz. But then again, every OMAP I've seen can do that as well.

The DSP is faster too and can play 720p videos that OMAP3530 can't.

The DSP is faster too and can play 720p videos that OMAP3530 can't.

But only with suitable software to make use of the DSP...

The DM3730 usually only overclocks to a maximum of 1,2 GHz. Many of the current OMAPs do that as well.

I didn't know 1.2 GHz was a common overclock for OMAP?

How much does the NEON overclock on DM3730?

With OPP5 I can get to 1.15Ghz on mine. Some people claimed higher.. not saying it's a usual overclock, but I say most people can get to over a 1GHz when set to OPP5.

but with that said, I rarely need to set it to OPP5.. as 500mhz seems to run everything I need it to fine.

You guys are lucky then. Even at OPP5, I can't get above 1GHz / 1000Mhz without it locking up. :/

Currently these higher speeds are only needed for things like N64 emulation or Sonic Robo Blast 2, but it still sucks to know that even with the Pandora I still get the lower end of the excess speed stick (My GP2X Couldn't get past 240).

We've got 2000 of the old OMAPs left, so we could switch to the DM3730 easily after that.

ED, do you think you'll switch to the DM3730 when these 2000 chips are used up, based on cost grounds, as well as the possible performance benefits? This seems relevant to me, as a late 2009 preorderer who may not see my unit until the next 2k+ units are shipped from Germany.

Thanks.

You guys are lucky then. Even at OPP5, I can't get above 1GHz / 1000Mhz without it locking up. :/

Currently these higher speeds are only needed for things like N64 emulation or Sonic Robo Blast 2, but it still sucks to know that even with the Pandora I still get the lower end of the excess speed stick (My GP2X Couldn't get past 240).
I lock up at 1ghz, so I don't clock past 950. And I only clock that high for N64.

For better Mupen performance, drop the resolution in the GLES plugin config to 400x240. 800x480 is a nice luxury, but it's a lot to ask out of this little machine. :)

If something needs 1ghz+ then either it needs more work, or you have to ask whether it belongs on the Pandora at all. I hate to think that people would consider their device inferior because their CPU 'only' handles clock speeds 50% higher than advertised!

If something needs 1ghz+ then either it needs more work, or you have to ask whether it belongs on the Pandora at all. I hate to think that people would consider their device inferior because their CPU 'only' handles clock speeds 50% higher than advertised!
At least we're well past the stage where some people were claiming that they saw this as a fault, and that they would RMA repeatedly until they got a good overclocker...

I hate to think that people would consider their device inferior because their CPU 'only' handles clock speeds 50% higher than advertised!

I didn't really want to come off as ungrateful... I still love my Pandora and use it almost every day. it's just that I was kinda looking forward to the possibility of N64 emulation... and almost nothing runs (That I want to run) or is at least near playable speeds. Even Mario 64 runs a little choppy. I guess I was just got caught up in the hype and let my expectations get a little too high. :p

ED, do you think you'll switch to the DM3730 when these 2000 chips are used up, based on cost grounds, as well as the possible performance benefits? This seems relevant to me, as a late 2009 preorderer who may not see my unit until the next 2k+ units are shipped from Germany.

Thanks.

The DM3730 actually is cheaper than the 3530 nowadays.

However, there won't be much difference.

The guaranteed clock speed is higher and the 3D GPU has a higher clock, everything else is basically the same.

The maximum overclock is about 1,2GHz, so the same as with some of the old 3530 as well.

Wait a second....you mean those 3 swap outs for one that does 1075 in Tekken3 were a waste of Jacquelyns time? j/k

Yes though. She should have been knitting Pandora cases via the Swedish Heavy Metal Fans template, as face it, we ALL would have bought one right?

You may have to revert back to earlier builds of Mupen to get Mario running perfect, as it did once. Other games maybe not and yes perhaps a few of us did expect more of N64 on Pandora. However when we pre-ordered, it wasn't even a remote possibility at all and thus it running at all is a surprise. Same goes for Saturn, sure it to speed but hey, even as a proof of concept, god gosh darn it, it actually runs on this little box of tricks. So does so many things, expanding every day that it is a constant surprise. Thanks to all the various devs. P2 will also surprise us.

Back