Pandora Pandora Panic

I can probably help out with some sprite work. If you need any help, PM with what you are currently using (sprite sheets) and I'll try to work some magic on them.

EDIT: Some crap I've done previously

outcast.png
waveformation.png
gp2x_cc.png

A_Llama said:
I made some short winning music though: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZ6ACITE

Let me know what you think!

I like it :)

nem said:
I can probably help out with some sprite work. If you need any help, PM with what you are currently using (sprite sheets) and I'll try to work some magic on them.

EDIT: Some crap I've done previously

outcast.png
waveformation.png
gp2x_cc.png
I wouldn't call it crap. It sure is way better than anything I could make and I'm sure someone could use your help.

I'm not working on any games right now since I have to pass my classes (should be done by friday), but after that I'm ready to make some games. Btw. I'm open to suggestions for mini games.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_Llama said:
A build would be helpful :D

I made some short winning music though: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZ6ACITE

Let me know what you think!

I'm shortly heading to work :/ But I'm downloading now and I'll try and get a build to you tomorrow!

@nem: That is some nice work, if you want to do anything for the main game interface, then I'll welcome it... I can also get you a build tomorrow if needed!

Pstudio you are the minigame machine so far, so you deserve a break from it :p Good luck with your studies!
Anyway I better dash to work, later!

Hi there,

Things are going good, slowly getting grip on things. But i have another question:

I want to use some of my (currently avi) short video clips as a background. I could ofcourse turn the whole thing into png frames and use animatedsprite but i thought there might be a better/easier/more correct/whatever way with the framework ;)

Thanks

Good timing, I am quickly checking the board just now!
You can use the Animation object at present, or as you say the AnimatedSprite. I have intention of having ffmpeg based video playback but I haven't even started this.

Basically you will have to extract every frame to a png or jpg, or merge it into a tilesheet. Sorry about this.

Build coming soon for those that require it!

PokeParadox said:
Due to the nature of the game all that is needed is short snippets of music.
We currently have pretty much nothing... :D

so somethings that are needed are
Title screen music,
short winning music,
short losing music,
credits music,
You got a hi-score music,
hi scores screen music,
minigames themselves.
woo! so if you need a build or anything else I'll gladly provide it. Obviously I'm not expecting you to do everything in that list, but if you can fill in a few blanks it would be great!

Status Update: almost ready for another framework update. (working hi-scores tables and credits screens... couple of bug fixes)
I can probably whip up some sounds. I'll start working and see if I come up with anything fun. Any preferred format? I'm generally a mod tracker, but can master wavs, too.

An awesome project. I may also make a game if I can find some time!!!

some mod formats are supported by SDL_mixer... I can't seem to find out which are.... you can't really go wrong with MOD though.
I would prefer this format since it's generally smaller file sizes.
other alternatives are OGG and MP3.

Framework has been updated.
Here is a build for windows

controls are Z,X Enter and arrow keys
to exit you have to get back to the titlescreen and quit in the menu... I know this is not friendly but it's still very WIP :)

don't play the Ordered mode... since the hiscores table is not done for that and it will crash!

Well hope this build inspires and helps people help us non artistic coders! :lol:

PokeParadox said:
Well hope this build inspires and helps people help us non artistic coders! :lol:
Some people would consider coding being an art :p

when I try to compile the project in linux i get the error:

cannot find -l3ds (File: ld)

-------------- Build: Lin Release in PandoraPanic ---------------

Linking executable: bin/Release/Penjin3D
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l3ds
collect2: ld returnerade avslutningsstatus 1
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 2 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

What is this l3ds? And why did I get 50 errors the first time I tried to compile?

just get rid of: -l3ds in build options.

it's a lib for loading 3ds models, it doesn't need to be linked since we are not using the 3D part of the framework... I thought I fixed this already, however.

For what concerns music... What about using LMMS for producing? version 4.0 rc3 is available for both Linux and Windows (so it will be easy for people to propose modifications to the existing tracks) and I've found it quite complete. What do you think about it?

Moreover, I was thinking about another program for writing MIDI... It's a quite strange one. It is called InStep http://www.whohooo.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/inStep/ , it is Java based (but only windows exes in the downloaded zip file :huh:) and it is focused on collaborative MIDI editing. Might be usefull for people wanting to contribute the MIDIs for the menu, and so on. If someone is interested I can set up a "server" on my PC from 8AM to 10PM GMT+1 ;)

Hi,
I've been working on a minigame since last weekend,
pix here :
my dev log

However I could only get to test mine using Pandordered,
will it be ok to continue with older framework in the meantime? Are there breaking changes?

I definitely want to relase a first test version before weekend to gather comments.

PokeParadox said:
just get rid of: -l3ds in build options.

it's a lib for loading 3ds models, it doesn't need to be linked since we are not using the 3D part of the framework... I thought I fixed this already, however.
Thank you! It works now. Now I just have to learn c++... I've only used Java and processing (and a tiny bit python), luckily I know how to google.

kattle87 said:
For what concerns music... What about using LMMS for producing? version 4.0 rc3 is available for both Linux and Windows (so it will be easy for people to propose modifications to the existing tracks) and I've found it quite complete. What do you think about it?
<snip>
TBH I'm not sure... I really am just a coder, and while I have messed about with verious music programs and even managed to end up with something that sounds like music... at the end of the day I'd be lying if I said I knew what I was talking about on this front! :lol: By all means if something works for you then use it. :)

trabitboy said:
Hi,
I've been working on a minigame since last weekend,
pix here :
my dev log

However I could only get to test mine using Pandordered,
will it be ok to continue with older framework in the meantime? Are there breaking changes?

I definitely want to relase a first test version before weekend to gather comments.

I checked the blog and the pictures look nice! I tried to practice my rusty french too :lol:

The only changes I can think of are changes to the Hi-Scores table... make a backup and try the new framework if you want. Unless you have a bug (scaling and rotation were previous bugs that had to be fixed) there isn't a super urgent need to use the latest framework, although it does help to keep up to date. I just need the minigame State files and resources to include your game into the build, so it doesn't matter too much which framework version you use. (I bug fix on inclusion too...)

SelectionBox mode should also work. The only reason not to use Pandordered is that it will crash out when it tries to load the score table, since the State hasn't been defined yet. To actually test the game, it's fine if you can live with crashes (I'll be fixing these problems soon). As for a test release, if you send me the files, I'll update the framework, but if you are wanting to post a build that's up to yourself.

dentrado said:
Thank you! It works now. Now I just have to learn c++... I've only used Java and processing (and a tiny bit python), luckily I know how to google.
Well glad you are up and running now, and if you get stuck, then just post here. The earlier pages of the thread have some answers too.

PokeParadox said:
I checked the blog and the pictures look nice! I tried to practice my rusty french too :lol:
hi poke and thx for the nice comment,
your french is quite decent !

back on topic a repetitive strain injury is preventing me from hitting my deadline,
so I expect to finish next week.
I'll do some paper flipbook pics for an other minigame this weekend in the meantime,
it doesn' strain like keyboard. :unsure:

will definitely finish though :ph34r: :pandora1:

Another status update:
Pandordered score screen has gone in and everything seems to be working fine with both score tables.

I've been bug hunting and I fixed bugs with the particle engine. It wasn't respecting lifetime values.
I've also tweaked particle fading and such

I'm hoping with some graphic work and little bit more code the Engine part of PandoraPanic! can be classed as complete so I can work on my minigames for the project!

i warned you about noob questions :p

Another: I googled for sdl ways, went through the framework, looked into the mingw tutorials, but could not find this simple thing which was so easy in the basic days. I just have an integer, x, that i want to give a random value between 0 and 9... The only thing i could find was rand() which gives huge numbers as return.

Help plz. :unsure:

Back