Pandora Pandora Panic

hello again

i want to ask something, is adding new games at this point posible or its completely closed?
and 2 if someone makes a manual i would like to translate it.

DroneB Dev said:
hello again

i want to ask something, is adding new games at this point posible or its completely closed?

I don't think it's closed for new games, though you might have to be done quick and it also might not make it into the release if it still buggy then...

Oh and as you are mentioning it, I could translate anything to German...

Last edited by a moderator:
DroneB Dev said:
hello again

Basically what Foxblock said... be quick! ha ha.
We are talking "a few weeks", whatever that means to try and be ready for Pandora release with the game.

Also...
UPDATE: Some more button help stuff updated...
I made it so you could press the "A Button" in Pang to shoot the spears... you can still press up if you wish.

I'll be working on adding the help screens next.

@Pickle
Sorry for not posting anything yet. Been working alot.
Here are some things i did.
The screenshot is how I imagined the game and after seeing it I suppose you imagined it differently. If you want to use the graphics just tell me and I'll make the rest.
I took the liberty to make some more details on the houses.

fire.gif

screen1.png

Bagera said:
@Pickle
The screenshot is how I imagined the game and after seeing it I suppose you imagined it differently. If you want to use the graphics just tell me and I'll make the rest.

Looks good and a good start, much better than what I have. But here are some thoughts.

Truck is great, make the cannon separate. I use penjins sprite rotation, so make it one bitmap pointing vertical.
The 3 wide buildings may be an issue, i think it may be too wide. I have 1 sprite wide at the moment, 2 i think is about as large as it should be. If we go with something wider than 1, i will have to do a little of recoding to support it. Either way I dont think im going to change the game logic, so if the water hits floor, no matter the width all the fire on that floor goes out.
The roof and doors on the first floor, would also need some rework if those are included.
I also pictured more damage to the building. If I got to it I was thinking of making it look like the wall was getting smaller vertically as the fire did more damage (in 3 stages)
The fire animation looks good, although its different that you combined the floor and the fire, I had them as separate sprites, if we combine them it will be a little bit of coding rework.

It is all separated but I put them together just to show how it would look. I thought this house damage would be somewhat realistic. Houses rarely fall apart from a fire don't they? I will look into making the damage more serious.

Help screens have been added to the selection box... unfortunately I now realise that many many games do not provide game instructions on their pause screen... that's including my own game!

I will obviously add some help text to Plander, but I again would like from anyone that can to add the pause screen help for the minigames!

hey people, still without decent internet here.
It really bugs me that i cannot contribute more, now that time becomes short.
I hope to be active again soon, at least before release.
Anyway, good to see all the progress, allmost there...
Cheers!

Bagera said:
@Pickle

fire.gif

screen1.png
Interesting. :)
But I would like to Pixel-double the graphics for the Pandora Screen, the graphics like in the pic above could look too small onto the 800x600 Screen. And IMHO these smooth gradients do not really look good if you don't use 32 Bit Graphix. ^^""
More pixelated "retro" Style could be fit very good for this kind of game, the graphics don't need to be so super-smooth. ;)

foxblock said:
Uhh, ok I will do, it will appear here when I am ready: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

Edit: Downloads are up! You need to extract both archives into the same directory (one contains all the images. fonts, sounds, etc. - the other one contains the dlls and exe)
Cheers! Just had a little play. Still excellent. :D I'll be back with questions, I still don't know how a couple of games work.

Good news, the pandora controls should become finalized very shortly. Ive confirmed the button's can be read and thier assignments. Ive also provided a patch for nub support for Penjin.

Woo-woo! Good news, indeed!

Poke -- I'm taking a look at BadVista this weekend. (Yuck... C++: I've grown soft and comfortable coding Java at work!) There are a few code segments marked
Code:
#ifdef PENJIN_FIXED
. The
Code:
#else
is what seems to get run, and seems to be the more attractive code, too. For example, I define a whole boatload of constants, but exactly three of them (the floats) are dealt with in this way.

Do I need to pay attention to these? Can I take them out & leave the #else clauses in?

Good one Pickle.

I had a milestone today. I finally triggered the BadVista easter egg. :D Wasn't sure if it had made the final cut. In actual news, I've started work on the basic manual structure and made a page for it on the wiki (hope that's ok): http://projectinfini...anic:usermanual

It still contains a lot of blank space, but I'm working on it. There are only a few things I need assistance with (like, what does one game in particular game even do ^_^ ) but I'll scour the thread in full before asking dumb questions. If anyone is horrified by how I've described their game, don't freak out, it's all shorthand for now.

Gruso said:
I had a milestone today. I finally triggered the BadVista easter egg. :D

Haha.... I'm excited someone noticed. :)

The issues with BadVista seem to have been due to the overly crude collision system. No surprise there. But I think I have put together an adequate fix not by writing a more subtle collision system, but by simply being a little smarter with the gravity. In my testing so far, the ball never gets stuck in the eternal bounce. Thanks to whomever put a last-ditch fix in there, counting the number of bounces. I've left your fix just in case.

Another, only slightly less major, problem with the game was how the ball would sometimes bounce out of the basket in a most mysterious way. I think that, too, has been fixed by the smarter gravity system.

I'll get my kids to play-test the game for a while tomorrow and, if all is well, submit my updates.

I don't have or want a google account: may I please just post up a .7z file with my changes (all of three files) and get someone to submit them for me?

todd said:
Woo-woo! Good news, indeed!

Poke -- I'm taking a look at BadVista this weekend. (Yuck... C++: I've grown soft and comfortable coding Java at work!) There are a few code segments marked
Code:
#ifdef PENJIN_FIXED
. The
Code:
#else
is what seems to get run, and seems to be the more attractive code, too. For example, I define a whole boatload of constants, but exactly three of them (the floats) are dealt with in this way.

Do I need to pay attention to these? Can I take them out & leave the #else clauses in?
The PENJIN_FIXED code is code put in to compile with fixed point support.

You don't have to pay much attention to it since I never managed to get the entire project compiling with fixed point and also I don't think we need it... Although if you haven't changed much code in these areas you may as well leave it as it's not hurting anything... if the code has significantly changed, just delete out those parts.

todd said:
The issues with BadVista seem to have been due to the overly crude collision system. No surprise there. But I think I have put together an adequate fix not by writing a more subtle collision system, but by simply being a little smarter with the gravity. In my testing so far, the ball never gets stuck in the eternal bounce. Thanks to whomever put a last-ditch fix in there, counting the number of bounces. I've left your fix just in case.

I don't have or want a google account: may I please just post up a .7z file with my changes (all of three files) and get someone to submit them for me?
Yeah I did the quick fix and then foxblock confirmed the bug as fixed and tweaked it.

Yeah just mailing me a 7z is fine... or anyone else with commiting access.

Here is a 7zip with the changed files. Hopefully it will just drop in. Please let me know if you see any further problems: my kids didn't uncover any. :D

Thanks again for all your work coordinating this project, Poke. I'm very excited to see my work on the actual machine. And find out if PanicAttack really works!

PanicAttack works fine... it's just hard to play with a keyboard. If you plug in a USB pad with sensible button mapping (using the commandline and loading a button mapping script) it's perfectly playable. I don't think you should worry too much about it on Pandora! :p

Also I've got Pickle's nub code and the button layout for Pandora gaming buttons. The gaming button are now in my copy of the code and I'm just trying to integrate the nubs with remappable controls... somehow.

I am currently working on the instructions for every game, so if you have any preferences or text you would like to have in there or want to do it yourself, message me.
You can already see some finished in Arena, BadVista and BallDrop - I will also upload my progress every now and then.

@Todd: Your update for BadVista is included, seems to work fine, more exact now (and seemingly no bugs)

@Pickle: Sorry for not posting the artwork for Fire, but you better go with Bagera anyway, his graphics already look pretty good :)

@All: Started working on a 3rd game... "Pee Pee's Big Adventure" is the current working title...

foxblock out

Discovery of the day: You can get a nice endless mirror effect in Selection Box when you leave the render function of a game blank :D

Back