Pandora Pre-orders

aranson

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not alone with all the waiting, wondering and salivating when it comes to the release of this wonderful thing. My question (concern) is of distribution. Are the developers relying on retailers to distribute the 3000? If so, do they have any lined up yet? Is there going to be a pre-order session that bypasses retailers?

I understand that these questions may be a bit early, but even the distribution of the 3000 initial units, I wonder if I might be forced to order a Pandora from Turkey, even though I live in Canada.

Well, aside from that little supply and demand question, I'm extremely impressed at the Pandora project in its entirety. I can't wait to pre-order/order/ship from Turkey!

They've said that they'll take pre-orders, but not until they're sure that there won't be any last minute delays. As far as I know, there are no retailers involved.

Can't answer about the Turkey thing, I thought that was a little curious myself. Wouldn't worry though, I don't think that supply is going to be a huge issue here.

it's being designed primarily by the guy who distributes the gp2x in the uk. it's going to be mail order. i'm guessing most if not all of the gp2x distributors will add the pandora to their catalogs.

there was/is a turkish gp2x distributor who had an account on this forum but i forget his handle :(

this is a turkish website selling gp2x, it may be the site of the person i'm thinking of: http://www.smart-bs.com/

also check http://www.gp2xtr.com/ ... maybe there's some rumblings about the pandora there, i don't know for sure though.

rokdcasbah said:
there was/is a turkish gp2x distributor who had an account on this forum but i forget his handle :(

this is a turkish website selling gp2x, it may be the site of the person i'm thinking of: http://www.smart-bs.com/

The name's mfk (he's the Fatih on the developers' list on the openpandora.org blog page).

As for ordering from Smart Business Solutions (www.smart-bs.com), I definitely recommend them (unless, of couse, you do have a local distributor) - they are quite pleasureable to work with, and sensitive to customers' needs.

Can't answer about the Turkey thing, I thought that was a little curious myself.

I was pretty suprised myself, but it's real. And I'm glad it is :) Living in Turkey used to mean having to order gadgets from overseas countries, waiting for weeks for the shipment to arrive, then having fights with the customs officers to convince them what's inside the parcel will not bring about the end of the world or something. That still is the case with expensive, overseas-shipped gadgets, but thanks to SmartBS we are able to acquire GP2Xs (and hopefully will acquire Pandoras with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you guys missed the point of his last question:
No, you will not be forced to order from Turkey. If you are living in Canada, there are online stores who will provide service for the US and also Canada. I am not sure which shop it is that is actually based in Canada but there definately is one.
The Pandora will be sold in Turkey aswell, but not solely of course as the device is mainly being developed by people from the UK and Canada (well not entirely... mfk is involved aswell as some others).

xnopasaranx said:
No, you will not be forced to order from Turkey. If you are living in Canada, there are online stores who will provide service for the US and also Canada. I am not sure which shop it is that is actually based in Canada but there definately is one.
I'm sorry for not being clear. I meant that if there are 3000 units, and they are shipped to retailers, maybe it sell much better in one geographical area than in others. If it is sold out in the States and sold out in Canada, then I might have to ship it from Europe. I mentioned Turkey simply because on the openpandora.org splash page, it mentioned that it was going to be sold from Turkey.

That being said, if there is a round of preorders, or if the retailers order it from the suppliers on an "as needed" basis, then everything is A-OK.

xnopasaranx said:
The Pandora will be sold in Turkey aswell, but not solely of course as the device is mainly being developed by people from the UK and Canada (well not entirely... mfk is involved aswell as some others).
Chances are that people in the USA/Canada who want one would order it off Craig's website.

http://www.gbax.com

Took a look at the postage cost for international shipping on the GBAX website, 20 bucks is pretty good for international shipping. That is of course if I can't find anywhere closer.

JakeK, I got my GP32 shipped to Oz from GBAX and it worked out well. If the local distributor doesn't carry the Pandora, I'll likely hit the Brits up again.

I asked gp2x.net.au via email, but got no response. They're generally pretty good with answering emails (I once got a detailed reply to a tech support enquiry, on a Sunday afternoon!), so I can only surmise that they're playing it safe and not saying anything until it goes into production.

Or maybe their loyalty lies with GPH... who knows.

I don't mind either way. If I have to order from the UK, that's fine.

craigix said:
Email your local distributors to show interest and they might get stock :)
Are you going through the normal distributors (or, if we aren't even there yet, are you planning to)? PlayAsia, etc.

Back