Pre-orders Confirmed For 30th Sept

ashdjones said:
I only joined this forum when the Pandora was announced/had a website that linked to this forum - probably about December or January. That's certainly less than one year, so just because I never owned a GP2X you're suggesting I lose out?

Yeah, that's exactly what he's saying. And when you weren't listening, HE CALLED YOU A PUSSY! :eek:

And then he said you smell like yogurt. :ph34r:

<waits for fight>

Last edited by a moderator:
monkeyo2 said:
I believe only forum members who joined before December 30th 2007, and who have a member number lower than 14455 should be able to pre-order early...
:rolleyes:
That took awhile for me to understand (work fries my brain), but once i did I lol-ed like I haven't lol-ed in a long time.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Well, no one actually confirmed the 15th preorder, Craig did say that there would probably be an early one between the 15th and 30th for us.

My thing is, if they can confidently say preorders begin on the 30th and put it on the front page, then why can't they give a date to forum members as well? I don't get it... :(

So it just occurred to me that the 15th preorder jump for forum members might not be feasible without the rest of the world noticing it on the website for a whole 15 days. What I think should happen is forum members be giving a slight early window to put their pre-orders before everyone else noticed. For example as someone mentioned in another thread, just before the official pre-order starts, a few hours in advance or so they could notify us here at this forum that the system will up and running up for pre-orders in like five minuted and whatever. We would then run and get all of our orders in and then they post the news to the rest of the world on Openpandora site on the official date hours later.

What do you guys think?

FRZ said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Well, no one actually confirmed the 15th preorder, Craig did say that there would probably be an early one between the 15th and 30th for us.

My thing is, if they can confidently say preorders begin on the 30th and put it on the front page, then why can't they give a date to forum members as well? I don't get it... :(

So it just occurred to me that the 15th preorder jump for forum members might not be feasible without the rest of the world noticing it on the website for a whole 15 days. What I think should happen is forum members be giving a slight early window to put their pre-orders before everyone else noticed. For example as someone mentioned in another thread, just before the official pre-order starts, a few hours in advance or so they could notify us here at this forum that the system will up and running up for pre-orders in like five minuted and whatever. We would then run and get all of our orders in and then they post the news to the rest of the world on Openpandora site on the official date hours later.

What do you guys think?
i can't see it happening, the amount of members who want one i can't see 3000 lasting both them and then the rest of the world orders, good thing i've already got mine ordered :)

silvercroc said:
FRZ said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

What do you guys think?
i can't see it happening, the amount of members who want one i can't see 3000 lasting both them and then the rest of the world orders, good thing i've already got mine ordered :)
If there isn't enough for the rest of the world, who cares. That would mean for Graigix and co. that the first batch of 3000 is a great success and they can start working on the second batch. I don't see the problem.

But if we announced to the forum that we get pre orders early, there would be one website to find out, and then we get a flood of new regestrations to the forums.

Personally I think the first batch should go to the community, so that those who know the device and know what it is about get a chance to write some apps, and find any flaws before the Product goes live to the world. Because I could see people buying one because of the hype, then not having a clue on ow to use it or how to get Community software onto it. Or even there being some sort of wear and tear, and then the Pandora being flamed for 'bad design'.

MarcelP102 said:
Why only for UK, USA, Canada, Germany and Turkey customers and not other European costumers like Holland. Or does this mean that I could pre-order it at an german site?
It is likely that all pre-orders will go through Craig's shop. If you want to order a Pandora from the first batch, that's where you order it from - no matter where you live. If the first batch doesn't sell out before they arrive, some of those may go to local distributors.

Mr Wendal said:
I don`t think it`s fair if people who have been forum members for a longer time are given priority in the preorder, as many of you have suggested. Should people be punished simply because they hadn`t heard about the pandora until recently? And should people be rewarded for joining in the GP2X days?
They won't be. All notification emails will be sent out at once. If there is a board-only pre-preorder, then it will be open to all board members. At most, Craig may post an announcement here a day or two before he sends out the email notifications. Any more than that would be pointless, since the news that preorders have opened up would quickly spread.

The preceding answers are based on common sense and a little reading-between-the-lines. I'd welcome corrections from Craig if I got something mixed up.

Chip said:
MarcelP102 said:
Why only for UK, USA, Canada, Germany and Turkey customers and not other European costumers like Holland. Or does this mean that I could pre-order it at an german site?
It is likely that all pre-orders will go through Craig's shop. If you want to order a Pandora from the first batch, that's where you order it from - no matter where you live. If the first batch doesn't sell out before they arrive, some of those may go to local distributors.

Can you please give a link to craig's shop? :) Thanks

ljones

I live in the U.S., so if I preorder from Craig's shop will that mean my Pandora will be shipped sometime in November to gp2xstore.com(the United States distributor) where my name will be on a list so I do not have to pay overseas shipping charges, tax, custom delays, etc...?

I do hope Craig clarifies preorder procedure for those outside the UK. :unsure:

ljones said:
I don't know if the order will be taken through Openpandora.org or GBAX.com, but I'm sure that it will be specified when the announcement is made.

rmm21 said:
I live in the U.S., so if I preorder from Craig's shop will that mean my Pandora will be shipped sometime in November to gp2xstore.com(the United States distributor) where my name will be on a list so I do not have to pay overseas shipping charges, tax, custom delays, etc...?
I highly doubt it. At least for pre-ordered systems, I wouldn't expect to get them from anywhere besides one of the two sites I listed above.

Chip said:
ljones said:
I don't know if the order will be taken through Openpandora.org or GBAX.com, but I'm sure that it will be specified when the announcement is made.

rmm21 said:
I highly doubt it. At least for pre-ordered systems, I wouldn't expect to get them from anywhere besides one of the two sites I listed above.

My perfect world of preordering and getting a Pandora as soon as possible seem to be slipping away from me because I live in the states. :/ How much of a markup would be possibly be talking about here for oversea order or is this something I'll have to patiently wait until a more local website will be able to carry it and take the risk of not being able to get a Pandora for a while?

I haven't been this excited about a handheld gadget in a very long time; please don't let my preorder dreams die (if possible).

litphoenix said:
How much of a markup would be possibly be talking about here for oversea order or is this something I'll have to patiently wait until a more local website will be able to carry it and take the risk of not being able to get a Pandora for a while?
Of course you can still preorder. Craig has always shipped to the US and there is no reason he should stop now. Shipping for the Wiz is only about $16, and the Pandora shouldn't be much more.

As for customs fees, that's a bit of a crapshoot. You may not get a bill at all, or you might get a rather hefty one. I've ordered fairly expensive packages from overseas before and it's gone both ways. That's just the price of being one of the first to get something new.

rmm21 said:

I do hope Craig clarifies preorder procedure for those outside the UK. :unsure:
I keep asking Craig and Co. about who the US distributor is going to be, and they don't answer. So it very well could end up not being gp2xstore.com.

As for the "pre-orders for the board" issue: I believe they should set up some log-in that makes use of the GP32X user database to check to see if someone is a user. And if the user account was made in the most recent, say, 30 or so days, then they are not eligible because they more than likely registered just out of the rumor of an early pre-order.

This method would more secure the pre-orders for us board users, because even if someone DOES leak the news, which someone will (no doubt about it), then there's nothing any of those people not of the board can do.

-God Ginrai

Chip said:
As for customs fees, that's a bit of a crapshoot. You may not get a bill at all, or you might get a rather hefty one. I've ordered fairly expensive packages from overseas before and it's gone both ways. That's just the price of being one of the first to get something new.
Duty shouldn't be any more than the tax that you would have paid anyway if it were shipped within country anyway. Besides, even if they don't charge you duty, you're still supposed to claim it on your income tax. ;)
The problem I have is that they hold onto it until they receive payment, which usually involves sending you a letter, waiting for a response, and eventually releasing the package, which can add 2 to 4 weeks to the delivery time if you're unlucky. In such cases, it might be better to wait for a local distributor.

WizardStan said:
Duty shouldn't be any more than the tax that you would have paid anyway if it were shipped within country anyway. Besides, even if they don't charge you duty, you're still supposed to claim it on your income tax. ;)
The problem I have is that they hold onto it until they receive payment, which usually involves sending you a letter, waiting for a response, and eventually releasing the package, which can add 2 to 4 weeks to the delivery time if you're unlucky. In such cases, it might be better to wait for a local distributor.
I've never had a package held by customs. The one time I did get a bill for import fees it was about $45 on a $300 item. Certainly more than the 6% sales tax would have been.

Every time I have had something held by customs, they've charged almost what the item's have been worth.

As for the "special preorders" if it were to happen, they'd surely have to be a system like the one God Ginrai suggested, otherwise when the news spreads, they'll be new members galore. Well, unless we all start speaking in code for the next couple of weeks to hide any secret preorder news *wink wink*.

Saying that, I'm surprised noone's suggested a long tedious Q & A of questions that only loyal Pandora fans would know the answers too, followed by an epic quest to find out where the Pandora's are stored and finding the secret password to gain entry to warehouse and finally get one Pandora. Or something similar. *coughs*

Chip said:
I've never had a package held by customs. The one time I did get a bill for import fees it was about $45 on a $300 item. Certainly more than the 6% sales tax would have been.
Was the cost of the item listed on the package, or did customs have to open it and guess? I've heard horror stories about ebay purchasers being very surprised that their great deal suddenly becomes subject to a massive tax because whoever handled the package at the border decided it was worth a lot more than was actually paid. And by "heard" I mean "experienced".
This is all purchases cross border from the US into Canada, incidentally. Maybe US customs works totally differently. Or I'm just really, really unlucky about what gets shipped to me.

Back