Pandora Sync For Hacked Iphones!

Pandora's Lox said:
cloud858rk said:
If the OP doesn't like DRM content, you can burn all DRM'd stuff to a CD and rip it off into MP3 format in iTunes. :) It's funny they'd include a way to bypass DRM in their own software.
Bleh... burning stuff to a CD and rerip it? Sounds like a major loss of sound quality to me. Not a audiophil by any means but my ears would bleed burning 192kbps files to cd... then reripping them as 192kbps KILLING the quality even further :blink:

If you gonna bypass copyright protection may as well do it right from the start & download as DRM-free the first time around (mp3, wav, FLAC) ;)

How exactly would that cause a loss of quality? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
cloud858rk said:
Pandora's Lox said:
cloud858rk said:
If the OP doesn't like DRM content, you can burn all DRM'd stuff to a CD and rip it off into MP3 format in iTunes. :) It's funny they'd include a way to bypass DRM in their own software.
Bleh... burning stuff to a CD and rerip it? Sounds like a major loss of sound quality to me. Not a audiophil by any means but my ears would bleed burning 192kbps files to cd... then reripping them as 192kbps KILLING the quality even further :blink:

If you gonna bypass copyright protection may as well do it right from the start & download as DRM-free the first time around (mp3, wav, FLAC) ;)

How exactly would that cause a loss of quality? :huh:

Well... assuming the DRM stuff is already a lossy format - for example 192kbps - burning it to a CD as a audio disc = no loss
However reripping that burned CD to a lossy format again to say... 192kbps again would actually be losing quality since what's on the CD is technically 192kbps quality-wise... so quality wise reripping it would be 192kbps - more quality.

Reripping in general = loss of quality if the source is a lossy file format.

The fact of the matter is, 99.9% of all software for the Pandora is going to be community driven. This means the community will take the effort to port/compile/maintain software. This also means that random software to fill random purpose X, will have to be made by the community, which includes you. Asking if Pandora will do random action Y, is useless, since unless someone who knows how to code also wants to be able to execute random action Y, it is unlikely someone is going to code it.

That being said, I don't think any of the linux 'iTunes' replacement apps, like Amarok and Banshee, support the iPhone yet. Until you see those apps being capable of syncing to iPhones through the iTunes protocol, i doubt you will see it on the Pandora.

Mjlink said:
AireTamStorm said:
waffles said:
what i wonder is, if he doesn't own a PC, how the hell is he planning on transferring his 400 cds to the pandora.
USB CD/DVD/BD-ROM Drive?

Hey folks,

My thoughts are getting the CDs onto an external HDD via a PC & MAC or with an external DVD-R USB if support will exist. I then want to be able to transfer & play music copied from external HDD or SDHC to iPhone. Iphones don't play mp3s either, it has to be .mp4

Maybe Zod would understand this better? Or tell me to buy a computer. I only play retro games, any tough stuff like MS Office I do at work, I have access to a G5 & HD Video camera for real computerwork.

I have no reason to buy a PC or MAC especially once I have Pandora.

I like the iPhone, I don't like iTunes or Apple monitoring my data.

Hope this clears things up a bit, not trying to make any emotional response.

Peace

Link

There is a new player on jailbroken iphone/ipod touch called mPlayer and it runs Mp3s. but the problem is.. that once you plug the iphone into pandora (via usb..for example) it will probably don't recognize it as a external drive... you need drivers.

I think you'll find the iphone DOES play drm-free mp3s no problem... mine is full of them.

You need some music management software such as banshee or rythmbox ported across to the pandora, ten you'll be ready to go.

parag0n said:
I think you'll find the iphone DOES play drm-free mp3s no problem... mine is full of them.
I think what everyone is getting at is, you cannot simply drag and drop, you HAVE to use music management software.

So is this a case of being screwed by the device manufacturers? (AKA Zune/Creative Zen requiring WMP11 and thus Windows XP for no good reason, screwing people with a Win2000 SP4 computer?)

This is the problem with being a consumer, you can't foresee how you want to use a device because you don't know enough, and you have no idea that the device manufacturers have locked you into a corner with the software or requirements.

If you want to own an iPod, and you want to transfer files to it, I suggest a PC or Mac (I believe this is listed on the box as a requirement, or in the manual).

A used imac will not take up very much room, and you can use alternatives to iTunes.

Plain as day:

itunes.JPG

I guess if you can run the iPod as a standard storage device and use it to load mp3s with a file browser then there will be no problem.

I can only echo the sentiments that you could just play the music on the Pandora, and perhaps add that if the iPhone/Pod can't interface to the Pandora, it is only the fault of the iCrap for not being compatible with standards. iTunes is what they are selling, they would give away ipods (and in fact do) if it would get you hooked on iTunes. This is their primary business model, you have to know that going in and expect them to only support this narrow view of the world.

Noted, music management software, iCrap, selling of iTune$

We'll see what develops.

Totally stoked on getting all music consolidated on an external HDD.

And obviouslly :pandora1:

Mjlink said:
Iphones don't play mp3s either, it has to be .mp4
<redacted> of course ipod's play mp3's not a single one song in my itunes library is an mp4 and every single one of them plays on my ipod.

sorry guys i just figured this thread was already off topic so why not.

EDIT: There is no need to be a jerk about it - Chip

Mjlink said:
Noted, music management software, iCrap, selling of iTune$

We'll see what develops.

Totally stoked on getting all music consolidated on an external HDD.

And obviouslly :pandora1:
Sorry if I was being a jerk or cranky (I hope I wasn't too blunt or mean).

The beauty of these "lockdown" systems is that if they "succeed" and become popular they are a big enough target that people will start developing workarounds for the shortcomings of the system (yes I consider iTunes a shortcoming of the iPod, anyone who has been stuck in the Quicktime install catch22 will agree, I have had problems with this loop since Win 3.1 :(. A slightly similar shortcoming is the PSP's optical drive, circumvented easily by the memstick, although lack of a proper SD card slot is still a problem with iPod's and PSP's alike ;) )

I also find it ironic that instead of adding a $1 SD card slot to the iPod they force you to "upgrade" to a 32GB model, never mind that you could put a 32GB SD in your current iPod for $129 (currently at newegg.com, although the 16GB at $45 apiece looks to be a better deal). This of course would make your problem nearly moot, as your iPod could hold all of your music with a couple SD cards, and you wouldn't need a computer except to add to your collection, which you could do at a kiosk or some other computer quite easily.

Enough ranting, I just wanted to point out that if the software interface to sync has been reverse engineered and documented it might show up on the Pandora at some point (If it is coded in C against standard Linux libraries that exist for the Pandora/OMAP processor it shouldn't be a huge problem right?)

I wonder also if there is a hack for your current iPod to enable to show up as a standard USB drive? In that case the pandora could not only sync it and convert CD to MP3 for you, but it could charge the iPod as well :D.

(I just got a case of deja vu, but considering what kind of foot-in-mouth moods I get in it could have been anytime since I joined these forums :p , at least that means I usually apologize. Right?)

I hate iTunes and don't want to depend on it!

then you should've bought a nice standards-compliant, usb-storage happy MP3 player instead?

apple hardware/software only works with... apple hardware/software, 99% of the time.
get a Mac UMPC innstead? oh wait, those dont exist xD

sorry but i love bashing the Apple philosophy. what this guy is proposing is definitely possible, but he may have to get his hands dirty coding/hacking together a solution.

or he could just install one of the multiple, easy to use, freely available linux solutions.

wait, i mean OMG APPLE SUXORS I HATE THEM THEY SHOULD DIE LOL ONLY DUM PEOPLE USE APPLE LOL

Back