Media Library Management Program Thingymabobber...

HackModford

Will there be a media player that can manage a library on day 1 of the pandora?
I guess xbmc could do this but I was hoping for a native app.

I don't want to just use (forgot name) that little standalone player that plays files but doesn't really do anything like manageing a library.

I want something like iTunes or the iphone OS or the Zune OS
What I mean is I want a nice gui that will organize my media in an intelligent manner. That will download podcast automatically, use online stores efficiently, and do everything I want :blink:

Blah Blah (goes on and hobbles in corner weeping for my Pandora to come home to me...)

HackModford said:
Will there be a media player that can manage a library on day 1 of the pandora?
I guess xbmc could do this but I was hoping for a native app.

I don't want to just use (forgot name) that little standalone player that plays files but doesn't really do anything like manageing a library.

I want something like iTunes or the iphone OS or the Zune OS
What I mean is I want a nice gui that will organize my media in an intelligent manner. That will download podcast automatically, use online stores efficiently, and do everything I want :blink:

Blah Blah (goes on and hobbles in corner weeping for my Pandora to come home to me...)
yoyoyo... check it
http://www.getsongbird.com/

word to your mother

Last edited by a moderator:
HackModford said:
I want a nice gui that will organize my media in an intelligent manner. That will download podcast automatically, use online stores efficiently, and do everything I want :blink:
Online stores?
Geez.

You need Songbird. It has a web browser built-in. It can do fucking anything, and it will use all your RAM. But you asked for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songbird_(software)

It should be ported to the Pandora eventually. I think it's based on the same stuff as Firefox.

Oh I'm well aware of songbird. The problem with it is that it doesn't work on pandora yet ;)

I don't really care about online stores. But yes something like songibrd is what I'm thinking. Just with a gui more tailored to Pandora like the iphone gui is tailored to the iphone. (They don't just use the iTunes gui :p )

HackModford said:
Oh I'm well aware of songbird. The problem with it is that it doesn't work on pandora yet ;)

I don't really care about online stores. But yes something like songibrd is what I'm thinking. Just with a gui more tailored to Pandora like the iphone gui is tailored to the iphone. (They don't just use the iTunes gui :p )
http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Developer_Intro/Feathers

BA'AM!... oh snap... that just happened

would be cool to have a kindve widget like music application. so nice big buttons name of artist etc and cover art nicely presented :)
something like winamp would be fine. no gimmicks just plays and organises music... tho i hate the way winamp organises music tbh

uh! what's wrong with banshee?, it does all you mentioned more or less, I love the way it suggests alternative bands etc and allows you to stream em off the net, preview etc.

as for Istuff, I hate it, I mean, seriously, whats with all this iPod/iPlayer cr*p?, I was going to buy a new music system, but they're all encumbered with sodding iTwit docks, why is every music system on the planet lumbered with a sodding dock for an ibad media player that I don't have or want?

I can't seem to find a system with the features I want anywhere, it's like everyone decided to stop adding features you might actually want, and just added an iDock instead...pah!, get off my lawn...mutter..mumble :angry:

why is MONO an issue?, the framework has been ported for that iPhone thing iirc, so it should run on Pandora.

Maybe someone can port D-Tunes, the iPhone app.

It's pretty good, simple, but nice.

I'm sure it can have a better GUI, but its nice.

Edit: P-Tunes!!

Banshee was... blah.... nothing compared to iTunes.

But seriously if you don't have an iPod Touch you haven't experienced a media player yet :D

But I was hoping there was going to be something that would be made specifically for the Pandora. Since I would like to use this as an iPod... why not? B)

Rhythmbox is what I prefer for music (by contrast I'm having to fight with foobar2000 in Windows to get it to do what I want).
Is there a similar "manager" for videos?

HackModford said:
Banshee was... blah.... nothing compared to iTunes.

But seriously if you don't have an iPod Touch you haven't experienced a media player yet :D

But I was hoping there was going to be something that would be made specifically for the Pandora. Since I would like to use this as an iPod... why not? B)

The Pandora has not been released yet, the OS is not even complete.
They really cannot populate/create the software like you need until everything is ready..

Someone out there will make an excellent media player once it's fully released in the wild.
Just wait until it has been released and see what comes..

Do/did you have a GP2X? They had a great media player that someone made - NOT the standard crap one.. I never had the chance to use it properly in the end..

I ended up buying a shit SD card from ebay - "upgraded" 16gb - I hadn't seen Prometheus' fake SD/flash media links until recently.
It was fine until you got over the 1gb mark, and it could not boot or anything. Took 2 hours to copy Fedora files to it (700mb). I hate eBay sometimes!

hobbyman II said:
uh! what's wrong with banshee?, it does all you mentioned more or less, I love the way it suggests alternative bands etc and allows you to stream em off the net, preview etc.

as for Istuff, I hate it, I mean, seriously, whats with all this iPod/iPlayer cr*p?, I was going to buy a new music system, but they're all encumbered with sodding iTwit docks, why is every music system on the planet lumbered with a sodding dock for an ibad media player that I don't have or want?

I can't seem to find a system with the features I want anywhere, it's like everyone decided to stop adding features you might actually want, and just added an iDock instead...pah!, get off my lawn...mutter..mumble :angry:
aparently he's not a fan of something he probally never used

unbiased opinion here.... they are pretty nice (ipod touch)

not a fanboy by any means... but all evil aside the user experience is unlike most of the stuff out there

All the sheeple buy Apple's iCrap. Overpriced junk that has half the functionality of things that cost half as much.

cbox said:
All the sheeple buy Apple's iCrap. Overpriced junk that has half the functionality of things that cost half as much.
i donno... 180ish USD for a capacitive touchscreen MID sounds pretty good to me. Can you link to something with more features? in the same price range (serious question, I am unaware of such things)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+iPod+touch%26%23174%3B+8GB*+MP3+Player+(3rd+Generation)+-+Black/8771732.p?id=1204332006293&skuId=8771732

EDIT:won't let me link it right.... well you know how to find one

The link works for me. Got to say the pricing on the iPod touch is quite alright.... I still wouldn't buy one but that's just me of course. It's definitely a quite powerfull device with a nice web browser and tons of application. As long as you don't mind the apple control freak side of it.

The real killer beside the closed software are the non upgradable memeory and the non user replacable battery IMO.

Back