Media Library Management Program Thingymabobber...

marshal said:
The real killer beside the closed software are the non upgradable memeory and the non user replacable battery IMO.
those are both my 2 biggest gripes about it as well. The battery life is amazing though, sucks when if or when it goes out. And the jailbreak/homebrew community is pretty decent as well. The homebrew appstore (cydia/ice/?the other one) is nicely set up as well... but the library of software is almost lackluster, most of the "good" apps are in the actual appstore. Multitaker is nicely set up as well if you get into that far. (resembles palm pre's setup)

I don't know of a way to get past the stupid cryptic file system it puts your non-drm'd music... if someone could get around that it would be almost ideal IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yes? :p , I have used one, and its not as good as my Cowon in audio quality, another case of bling and marketing over substance, yes it's "pretty" and "cool" and "gee wizz", but the sound quality is lacking, sorry if I profaned against the church of Jobs, but imo the primary function of a media player is to play media well, not just look cool.

yeah!, if they spent a bit more on the hardware it would be a good player, in fact, it would almost be as good as everybody seems to think it is, but I do seriously doubt all these "Impartial" reviews, for one thing, they all seem to be written by the same person, and that person seems to be employed by Apple. <_<

also, I don't actually LIKE swirly swingy swoopy interfaces, it doesn't even do them right for one thing (list screens zoom in blank and then get filled rather than zoom in pre-drawn for eg), for another, they take too long when you are busy, and waste cpu cycles and hence battery, I always turn off desktop effects for the same reason, there's no point to em, just draw the goddamn window + content dammit!!, computers are slow enough already, they don't need slowing down any further.

maybe I'm showing my age, but imo the reason you can't get a music system with decent features is simply that adding a dock is cheap and easy, and adds perceived value, so every body does it, BUT its just a waste of time when I don't own an Ipod, don't WANT an Ipod, and have a list of features I want on my music system, that nobody's got around to adding cos they all think sticking a stupid dock on the bloody thing gives you all you need, sheesh!

I want a DAB tuner, internet radio, fm/lw/mw/sw radio, internal HD storage, multi format playback, built in dvd/cd playback and ripping, streaming of separate channels/playlists to satellite speakers via power-line/wireless, long range wireless remote (extended via speakers), display on remote giving status/feedback, equalizer pre-sets for anything from album/genre or specific track, volume pre-sets for same, options to stream to remote or preload and use as portable player, wireless, self powered wireless speaker option for summer evenings in garden, tv interface for serious file management, built in media database, bluetooth, usb and media card ports, network port, ability to record any source to HD, timers for record/playback etc

what do I get offered instead?.......A BLOODY DOCK FOR A SODDING MP4 PLAYER I DON'T HAVE OR WANT!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRR! :rolleyes:

:D

seriously, I'll be 148 before they get round to it :p

hobbyman II said:
oh yes? :p , I have used one, and its not as good as my Cowon in audio quality, another case of bling and marketing over substance, yes it's "pretty" and "cool" and "gee wizz", but the sound quality is lacking, sorry if I profaned against the church of Jobs, but imo the primary function of a media player is to play media well, not just look cool.

yeah!, if they spent a bit more on the hardware it would be a good player, in fact, it would almost be as good as everybody seems to think it is, but I do seriously doubt all these "Impartial" reviews, for one thing, they all seem to be written by the same person, and that person seems to be employed by Apple. <_<

also, I don't actually LIKE swirly swingy swoopy interfaces, it doesn't even do them right for one thing (list screens zoom in blank and then get filled rather than zoom in pre-drawn for eg), for another, they take too long when you are busy, and waste cpu cycles and hence battery, I always turn off desktop effects for the same reason, there's no point to em, just draw the goddamn window + content dammit!!, computers are slow enough already, they don't need slowing down any further.

maybe I'm showing my age, but imo the reason you can't get a music system with decent features is simply that adding a dock is cheap and easy, and adds perceived value, so every body does it, BUT its just a waste of time when I don't own an Ipod, don't WANT an Ipod, and have a list of features I want on my music system, that nobody's got around to adding cos they all think sticking a stupid dock on the bloody thing gives you all you need, sheesh!

I want a DAB tuner, internet radio, fm/lw/mw/sw radio, internal HD storage, multi format playback, built in dvd/cd playback and ripping, streaming of separate channels/playlists to satellite speakers via power-line/wireless, long range wireless remote (extended via speakers), display on remote giving status/feedback, equalizer pre-sets for anything from album/genre or specific track, volume pre-sets for same, options to stream to remote or preload and use as portable player, wireless, self powered wireless speaker option for summer evenings in garden, tv interface for serious file management, built in media database, bluetooth, usb and media card ports, network port, etc

what do I get offered instead?.......A BLOODY DOCK FOR A SODDING MP4 PLAYER I DON'T HAVE OR WANT!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRR! :rolleyes:

:D

seriously, I'll be 148 before they get round to it :p
look into a sqeezebox and a sonos player, my buddy is a big audiophile and his setup does *most* of that stuff... minus the dvd ripping, I think there's a sonos player that does the cd ripping in flac IIRC. Problem is.. you're going to pay for it... big time.... but the quality is unmatched (i've heard it first hand... glorious)

I'd take the emotion out of your opinion though, it makes you seem like a fanboy... but like an anti-fanboy... just my opinon there

EDIT: links for your reading pleasure
sonos
http://www.sonos.com/default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=1033
squeezebox
http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/

edit2:i'd also like to add, my friend (with the sonos box) HATED... i mean ABSOLUTELY HATED iAnything with a passion (sound familiar?)... till he got one... now he swears by it... but is ashamed that he likes it so much... "only for the apps"... of cource ;)

the emotion is "camped" up for comedic effect, anyone I know in meatspace knows I can't stay serious all the way to the end of a sentence, and I'm excitable, and jump around a lot, actually, I'm pretty immature for my advanced years, but sod it, I didn't opt in to "growing old gracefully", as for things like Sonos, very nice,but, well, unless I win the lottery, I am just going to have to wait until that sort of thing is common on main stream systems, 148yrs and counting....147.....146 :D

there are quadzillions of music-players for linux.
My favourite at the moment is exaile 0.3.x.
While listen (listen-project.org) has my all-time favourite UI and feature-set, it crawls like a slug since the switch to python 2.6. Exaile is kind of feature-complete and performs pretty well since the 0.3 release.

For video- and podcast-handling, there's miro. I didn't use it for a while, though. For videos, I still prefer a simple file-manager + mplayer, no interest in podcasts at all.

Canola2 is pretty nice but I'm not sure if it's open source or not. A few places say it is: http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2009/03/canola-is-free.html but the Canola page says it's not: http://openbossa.indt.org.br/canola/developer.html

the second gen ipod nano is a perfect mp3 player. aluminum case. color scratch resistant screen. solitaire. you dont need itunes. i ran mine over with a 60 inch commercial lawn mower and still use it to this day. i washed it once. it sat in a trunk in the back of my truck bed all winter in sub zero and i just got it out. still has an 8+ hour battery life. other icrap is way to shiny, cool, and scratch prone for me. pandora is very utilitarian in nature and low key, kind of like painters pants, while icrap is like fubu pants, they can be an embarrassment in all but casual social situations, and they scuff easily.

itunes should be classified as mal/spyware. it promotes sloppy file organization habits among the usual reasons people dont like it.

+1 for keeping a copy of xbmc on media sd cards. xbmc is the pandora of mediaware and is very complete. vlc will suffice for me until a panxbmc is released. add an "apps" tab like on the xbox ver of xbmc and your gold.

my dads apple 2e was pretty cool. it had a game where you shot at guys jumping from airplanes (kinda like the ipod game but waaaaay cooler) i used to love when they would get stuck on the cactus.

PhillipJ said:
Canola2 is pretty nice but I'm not sure if it's open source or not. A few places say it is: http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2009/03/canola-is-free.html but the Canola page says it's not: http://openbossa.indt.org.br/canola/developer.html

On the News Page:

as our plan is to release Canola totally open source in beta10

But that dates back from November 14th, 2008 and I have no idea if anything happened since.
Actually I found some blog entry about Canola on the nokia n900
http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2009/09/canola-on-n900.html

Back