Pandora Team: How Do You Handle It?

where is the pleace where craig is safety?, when i look on the pandora comunity maps, i see that there is no pleace to hide for craig, and if he wonts to run away, he has can this make a long time ago, yet whe now where he lifes, but i think, whe get our pandora, and i trust evildragon and craig more than our politicans

"Craig for Queen"
"ED for Kanzelar"
"mweston for President" :p

Poem58 said:
Then along comes one of the bully's who tells me how wrong I am to think I can have an A9 in my Pandora, as those chips will never be in anything until at least the middle of next year, and I shouldn't talk about this as I would stir up trouble etc. Clearly someone who does not pay attention to what a person says but clearly thinks they know more and you are stupid.

I doubt the 'lack of attention' was restricted to just my side. :rolleyes: If you bring up possibilities like that then there are plenty of people who do run off thinking that it's a possibility unless it gets quashed quickly, regardless of your intention in bringing up the subject. (see the "Confirmed: X" meme, which makes fun of them.)

Anyway, a lot of the haters vanished once the Wiz was released, since they were too busy using it to bother trolling. I predict it'll calm down even more once the Pandora is finally released - although probably not entirely until the second batch is ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phawx said:
Yea, the Cortex A9 looks sick! 250mW of power per CPU and it beats N270. That's incredible. Not only is it faster, but it uses 75% less power!

Just think, as awesome as the A9 looks, by the time the OP Team is ready to begin design of the Pandora 2 it's quite possible the A9 will have already been replaced by the next generation CPU. What will THAT be like? It will probably be 4 cores at 3Ghz and run on heat generated by holding the device! LOL Seriously though, Pandora 2 will probably be screaming with ability given what the Pandora itself will be in comparison to current hardware. So we will have the original to enjoy and if a second generation comes to be, it will undoubtedly be just as amazing, and crazy fast. good times in the future. Long Live PANDORA! (Hopefully in a couple of years, they will just design a faster board and we can just replace it in our current handheld, cost savings for those who adopted the original, as I don't see a pressing need to change anything else about the console in the future. Might just be the first upgradable handheld!?)

Poem58 said:
Phawx said:
Yea, the Cortex A9 looks sick! 250mW of power per CPU and it beats N270. That's incredible. Not only is it faster, but it uses 75% less power!

Just think, as awesome as the A9 looks, by the time the OP Team is ready to begin design of the Pandora 2 it's quite possible the A9 will have already been replaced by the next generation CPU. What will THAT be like? It will probably be 4 cores at 3Ghz and run on heat generated by holding the device! LOL Seriously though, Pandora 2 will probably be screaming with ability given what the Pandora itself will be in comparison to current hardware. So we will have the original to enjoy and if a second generation comes to be, it will undoubtedly be just as amazing, and crazy fast. good times in the future. Long Live PANDORA! (Hopefully in a couple of years, they will just design a faster board and we can just replace it in our current handheld, cost savings for those who adopted the original, as I don't see a pressing need to change anything else about the console in the future. Might just be the first upgradable handheld!?)

STFU

I bet that we wont see an A9 soc in anything mobile till some time between end of 2010 and first half of 2011. At least not anything open source. It seems like there is always hype at least 18 months before any products appear on the market. :p

A9 looks awesome. I hope there will be a future Pandora with A9 or better in it. That would kick so much ass.

Sphinxter said:
Poem58 said:
Phawx said:

STFU

Mind ya bizness. I didn't say anything wrong. No one forced you to read or respond. I love this project and it has a great future. If you feel otherwise than that is your opinion. Don't go tellin me what to do.

@Poem

Well, last I mentioned an upgrade to the Pandora, Craig was leaning towards just a chipset refresh and keeping the body the same. So when newer OMAP chipsets come out, it might not be such a big long affair, because the only thing getting updated would be the PCB.

So I think when OP is ready for Pandora 2, it will only be a chipset refresh, thus they could come to market *before* other companies next time. Pandora 3 might see a bigger screen/different *upper* layout to the Pandora. For me, the bottom half of the Pandora is perfect.

Poem58 said:
Phawx said:

It would be great if the only thing us future Pandora owners would need to do to upgrade it to a Pandora 2 would be to replace the board, keeping our cases and everything else the same :p

Of course, that OP team should keep a nice stock of spare parts as a good proyect int his case (OP1 BOARD and cases).

Phawx said:
@Poem

Well, last I mentioned an upgrade to the Pandora, Craig was leaning towards just a chipset refresh and keeping the body the same. So when newer OMAP chipsets come out, it might not be such a big long affair, because the only thing getting updated would be the PCB.

So I think when OP is ready for Pandora 2, it will only be a chipset refresh, thus they could come to market *before* other companies next time. Pandora 3 might see a bigger screen/different *upper* layout to the Pandora. For me, the bottom half of the Pandora is perfect.

That would be awesome! the idea of just upgrading the handheld a few years from now is just great. Obviously they would produce some in the cases for those who did not yet have one, but it would cost so much less for them and us if we could just drop in a replacement. I agree, also that we shouldn't need a case/screen upgrade until a 3rd version. By then my guess would be something like OLED as they will probably be more commonplace by then.
Seems we are not the only ones who like this idea!

Any way you look at it, this project is so good as it is and still has so much upside. I do hope that this does well enough to have many, many years of life and new models. Who knows, since every company started as a small company, OP may become a huge business one day with the ability to get things done their way without delays and with the innovative ideas and open source design, they have a bright future in the Linux computing industry alone. If just selling tiny powerful Linux systems.

It would seem that the way they are handling the negativity, they are definitely going to have the ability to handle the difficulty of whatever projects they try to undertake.

Poem58 said:
Phawx said:
@Poem

That would be awesome! the idea of just upgrading the handheld a few years from now is just great. Obviously they would produce some in the cases for those who did not yet have one, but it would cost so much less for them and us if we could just drop in a replacement. I agree, also that we shouldn't need a case/screen upgrade until a 3rd version. By then my guess would be something like OLED as they will probably be more commonplace by then.

Any way you look at it, this project is so good as it is and still has so much upside. I do hope that this does well enough to have many, many years of life and new models. Who knows, since every company started as a small company, OP may become a huge business one day with the ability to get things done their way without delays and with the innovative ideas and open source design, they have a bright future in the Linux computing industry alone. If just selling tiny powerful Linux systems.

It would seem that the way they are handling the negativity, they are definitely going to have the ability to handle the difficulty of whatever projects they try to undertake.

Actually, I would like a screen upgrade for the next version just so that we can get our hands on one with that Resistive Multitouch technology.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Poem58 said:
Phawx said:
@Poem

Actually, I would like a screen upgrade for the next version just so that we can get our hands on one with that Resistive Multitouch technology.

-God Ginrai

If you're gonna go for a screen upgrade, it's gotta go larger as well right? Let's max it out. Might be able to get a 6" screen in there with the same overall dimensions.

lulzfish said:
Some of us enjoy having speakers, though.

What if the speakers were behind the display? Not on the back cover of the pandora, but DIRECTLY underneath the display. OLED is pretty thin, maybe it wouldn't pose much of a barrier to the sound. Or you could have the display side have slits on either end in the front so the sound is still front firing. (In case the sound can't travel well through the display LCD or OLED)

There are a number of ways to still have front firing speakers, not interfere with the mic and have a larger screen.

Apple has a patent for having a webcam directly behind the display. Don't know when it will be implemented, but they have it so they could have a very thin border and still have a webcam.

Also, macbooks have rear firing speakers, but because of how the hinge works on the display, the sound is reflected against it's angle. And it works pretty well with the mic too.

So I've listed three possible ways it would be possible to have a larger screen and still have speakers that work with a mic. I'm sure one could be made.

skeezix said:
Gruso said:
Don't be fooled. They might look helpless, but you'd best land the first blow.

I think I have a new sigline: "They might look helpless, but you'd best land the first blow."

Exactly what I was thinking.

hmm, i have read about some OLED Sound Emiting, and is somehow working merging both technology OLED flexibility and flat linear speakers (something like sound-laser)

ive seen it somewhere

here it is i dk if is the same i saw before

http://www.hardwaresphere.com/2009/04/28/kenwood-oled-speakers-by-junji-kido/

I have no idea how feasible it would be, but how about a couple of electrostatic speakers behind the screen?

DroneB Dev said:
http://www.hardwaresphere.com/2009/04/28/kenwood-oled-speakers-by-junji-kido/

If I understand it correctly, all they're doing is pairing a slim speaker with an OLED display. Something like that would be welcome, seeing as they do have slim speakers now, and OLED screens are compact as well. There is tech that exists that can turn many objects into sound emitting devices, though I'm sure their sound quality is questionable.

Phawx said:
What if the speakers were behind the display? Not on the back cover of the pandora, but DIRECTLY underneath the display. OLED is pretty thin, maybe it wouldn't pose much of a barrier to the sound. Or you could have the display side have slits on either end in the front so the sound is still front firing. (In case the sound can't travel well through the display LCD or OLED)

Also, macbooks have rear firing speakers, but because of how the hinge works on the display, the sound is reflected against it's angle. And it works pretty well with the mic too.

For small speakers, I'd much rather have them front-facing, without any blockage. I don't know if you've heard the difference between PSP1000 and PSP2000, but the difference in speaker placement is quite substantial.

I suppose one alternative could be to build it into the posts where the LED indicator lights are now, or under them. That way you could also have the lid closed and still hear sound. Or if you want them in the lid, behind the screen, position them at the corners so they are only partially blocked.

... but anyway, aren't we getting a bit off-topic here? :lol:

How do they handle it, I think the pandora team does well and for the pandora2 I'd like to hey robots they are great especially robby the robot from forbidden planet that has also a pretty nice girl in it her name was Anne Francis I think it was pretty cheecky for 1956 well anyway it was the best movie leslie nielsen was in. ehh were was I...

Back