Pandora TV Out: Composite -> HDMI Adapter -> Black Screen?

tnpir4002

Greetings all,

I bought the 1GHz Pandora Platinum eight years (!) ago and I still have it and I still love it. I'm gearing up to do a video review (and I plan to do a followup to compare the Pyra when I get it), but I'm stuck trying to record video from the screen. Here's the setup I have:

Pandora video port -> the Pandora video cable -> RCA to HDMI adapter -> HDMI cable

Trouble is, I'm not getting any kind of output. Whether I plug directly into the capture card or into an HDMI port on a monitor, all I get is a black screen.

I've gone into TV Out settings and I have it tuned to NTSC with the Main Layer enabled, so in theory this should be working, but all I get is a black screen. (And unfortunately I don't have any native composite-in devices to test with anymore.)

Can anybody help me figure this out? I know the capture card is good but this is the first time I've ever messed around with the TV out piece.

Use drastic, the nds emu, its settings for switching the screen are very good and you dont have to fear to lock yourself out into a black screen by disabling the internal.

Check that your HDMI adaptor can cope with composite or s-video connections. I suspect it may want RGB only, but the Pyra TV out cable only produces composite and s-video.

Edit: You do say it's an RCA to HDMI adaptor. That means it's composite input or possibly YPbPr component input, depending on exactly how many RCA jacks it has. If it is composite input, check you're using the right plug, I think it should be the yellow one, all the others are for line in and out I think. If it is component input you should still get a monochrome image from plugging in a composite input into the Y jack.

I assume it's a powered adaptor because the conversion chips inside need power and composite doesn't provide enough on it's own. Check the power.

Last edited:
Back