Pandora Vinyl Mod.

'Bosbeetle' said:
I am planning to create a pandora mod so it can play (and scrobble) vinyl.

and than I woke up, hmm strange dreams.
Oh cool I like the idea it's very unique. How about it can stream the vinyl output live over bluetooth? A quick nooby question LOL but if you install crysis onto the vinyl, will it run? You will probably have to use the emulator WINE... jus wondrin

Seriously though, there are turntables designed to work straight from USB. I doubt the drivers would work though!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Eversmile' said:
Seriously though, there are turntables designed to work straight from USB. I doubt the drivers would work though!
Of course they will, if not initially, at some point. However, that doesn't get to his desire to scrobble. I really haven't looked as I rip and tag mine. Audacity works great.

'lingenfr' said:
'Eversmile' said:
Of course they will, if not initially, at some point. However, that doesn't get to his desire to scrobble. I really haven't looked as I rip and tag mine. Audacity works great.

I didn't know they were open source/arm friendly. And I prefer WavePad to Audacity, you should check it out.

'Eversmile' said:
I didn't know they were open source/arm friendly. And I prefer WavePad to Audacity, you should check it out.
They're tonearm friendly, does that count?

/letting myself out etc

Woot has a USB turntable for pretty cheap today: CODE
http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx?WootSaleId=8591&ts=1239491635&sig=fd0f1b0c38c4557d

I've got the ion portable. I'm satisfied.

'Bosbeetle' said:

thought you were dreaming of a case mod there for a second, make the pandora case out of vinyl..

how about GRANITE lol, ok maybe not, but a glass case would be pretty cool..

Mr Poletski said:
'Bosbeetle' said:

thought you were dreaming of a case mod there for a second, make the pandora case out of vinyl..

how about GRANITE lol, ok maybe not, but a glass case would be pretty cool..

How about one made out of ice!

'Bosbeetle' said:
How about one made out of ice!
That would be cool

okay, I just had to say it

It's kinda sad that this promising topic has gone all awry as to the title and main discussion topic ;)

Ripping vinyl with the OpenPandora, out of the box would be quite possible (and quite OK at that, I surmise). We already know that the TV-Out cable will have left and right line-in jacks so just hook your pre-amplifier up to it and voila, you're hearing vinyl on the Panda :)

Another possibility: the headphone jack is supposed to also act as a line (or microphone) input, at least that's what's been said around about the console's specs. So that too could be utilized, although still not enough information is known to me to say exactly how feasible this solution would be (a Mic input for vinyl ripping wouldn't be too good...).

Further possibilities! Use a USB sound card with your Panda :) The implications of this are quite obvious.

So in general, no dreaming and modding necessary Bosbeetle :D

I'd probably set up my pandora as some sort of squeezebox I hope to mount my network HD and play music from it wireless, and then link my pandora to my 1979 sansui hi-fi set so I have best of both worlds, and great sound and audioscrobling and playing vinyl just the normal way through the same system. There will be no need for ripping, since I rather listen to the actual vinyl :D

On an other note I hope people here can help me with any problems I encounted being the n00b that I am. Also I did notice that the slimdevices software has a source available. So if this and the virtual squeezebox can be ported I would efectivly have a squeezebox and an awsome gaming machine.

oh the options :) :wub:

The idea with the squeezebox is quite nice. I'll consider it too. BTW I also got 2 late 70's Sansui amplituners. Rock-on! :p

As for audio scrobbling, I'm planning to make a proper desktop app for manually scrobbling stuff onto last.fm. All the other efforts that I've seen are mediocre at best and don't help me much...

Then I'll try to port it to the Pandora and if it's not possible I'll make it possible (by using existing and common development libraries, etc.) :D

Mr Poletski posted on Apr 14 2009 at 12:21 PM) [quote="'Bosbeetle' posted on 'Apr 11 2009 at 11:57 AM said:
I am planning to create a pandora mod so it can play (and scrobble"] vinyl.

how about GRANITE lol, ok maybe not, but a glass case would be pretty cool..[/quote]*smash* "o dere i bwicked it."

OK, I've checked up on the forums and apparently the headphone jack is indeed also capable of carrying a mic signal, albeit only in mono. So yeah, that could also be utilised for getting sound, but pretty low quality in comparison with feeding the Pandora through the line-in connection :)

Back