Pandora Won't Unmount Sd Cards?

Azuma

Been having trouble with this ever since first boot. I could never get the pandora to unmount my SD cards. Whenever I try it gives me an error message saying: Unable to unmount "SD card name": cannot open /media/.hal-mtab . I let it go for a while with the hope that the hotfix would fix it but it hasn't. I've also went through a reflash before and it didn't help. What can I do to fix this?

something using the SD card?, could be the Pandora pnd scanner thingy (forgot the name), this has been mentioned before, try a search (forum search is rubbish...use google)

:ph34r: gah! ....ninja'd :ph34r:

It amazes me how many people I have seen ask about this. I didn't think we would have so many Linux users at the beginning, to tell you the truth. XD There may be some times when mounting is needed, but for most of your use on the Pandora, you don't need to unmount your card. They mount the SD with sync so you can just put it in and pull it out.

-God Ginrai

I asked because the Pandora seems to have problems when I remove and then re-insert an SD card. Sometimes the Pandora won't detect it and sometimes I'll have trouble accessing certain files. So, I thought it may have been because I was just pulling them out. I can usually fix it by taking out and re-inserting the SD card a few times though, so as long as I know I'm not damaging anything then that's fine.

Azuma said:
I asked because the Pandora seems to have problems when I remove and then re-insert an SD card. Sometimes the Pandora won't detect it and sometimes I'll have trouble accessing certain files. So, I thought it may have been because I was just pulling them out. I can usually fix it by taking out and re-inserting the SD card a few times though, so as long as I know I'm not damaging anything then that's fine.

The only problem I have had is that once in a blue moon it wouldn't find the PNDs, and that is solved by pulling it out and sticking it back in for me. And yea, it shouldn't damage anything unless you do it during a write or something.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I just discovered an odd little fix. Whenever I take out and re-insert an SD card an error occurs. Basically, (after putting the SD card back in) whenever a program on the pandora uses the file manager to locate a rom, file, or directory I get an error when I try to navigate to the SD card that says: " Can't execute child process gnome-mount" or something like that. The odd thing was I could navigate into the SD card from the file manager when it wasn't being used by a pnd/program. I was copying some files onto my pandora from my psp later on and after that it starts working again. It let me navigate to the SD card under any circumstance. So I'm wondering why, exactly, did this fix the problem? Is it a matter of tricking the pandora to mount the SD card properly because it gets confused from not un-mounting the SD card previously? (and I know you said it shouldn't cause any problems when pulling the cards out without un-mounting but I can really think of a better Hypothesis :lol: ) I'm just curious.

Edit: Further investigation revealed it was actually the act of connecting the psp that made it work. So, I then tried to connect my External hard drive to see if it would fix it and it did. So it's actually just the act of connecting a USB mass storage device to the Pandora that fixes it.

Azuma said:
I just discovered an odd little fix. Whenever I take out and re-insert an SD card an error occurs. Basically, (after putting the SD card back in) whenever a program on the pandora uses the file manager to locate a rom, file, or directory I get an error when I try to navigate to the SD card that says: " Can't execute child process gnome-mount" or something like that. The odd thing was I could navigate into the SD card from the file manager when it wasn't being used by a pnd/program. I was copying some files onto my pandora from my psp later on and after that it starts working again. It let me navigate to the SD card under any circumstance. So I'm wondering why, exactly, did this fix the problem? Is it a matter of tricking the pandora to mount the SD card properly because it gets confused from not un-mounting the SD card previously? (and I know you said it shouldn't cause any problems when pulling the cards out without un-mounting but I can really think of a better Hypothesis :lol: ) I'm just curious.

Edit: Further investigation revealed it was actually the act of connecting the psp that made it work. So, I then tried to connect my External hard drive to see if it would fix it and it did. So it's actually just the act of connecting a USB mass storage device to the Pandora that fixes it.

Well, the reason that I know of that it doesn't work is that sometimes the SD is mounted to a new directory, and for some reason the file manager is still linked to the old directory, thus causing the problem. I'm not sure why plugging in a USB mass storage fixes the problem, tho'. o_ô

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Back