Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh.

• I dislike it

• I hate it

• Total voters

That rotating hinge would be nothing but trouble. It would be way too fragile, and using it extensively will spell the end of the unit within one year...

Alex. said:
That rotating hinge would be nothing but trouble. It would be way too fragile, and using it extensively will spell the end of the unit within one year...
Yeah, definitely.

Also, I think only one corner should be rounded, like an old Gameboy. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, I find the lifebook really ugly. That one hinge rotating thingy is freakish. Just look how massive the hinge is. No way. Nice idea but not feasible.

Still there has to be a solution. I think it would be great to have the screen cover the keyboard at will. It will be just way more comfortable to use the touchscreen then.

Gah... irritating.

CoMiKe said:
I don't think the hinge should be a problem.

Even Fujitsu has released something very similar to this, the Fujitsu Lifebook U Series.

http://images.google.es/images?q=lifebook+u

Not actually what I had in mind. My idea would have much more in common with the lens rotation in the Nikon Coolpix 2500 except it would be for the screen, not the lens, thus (hopefully) avoiding whatever that mechanism is patented under.

However, I suspect Alex and co are right in that it would reduce sturdiness, certainly if done badly. That said, my Coolpix 2500 still works 5 years or more after dad bought it. I do think it could be done well, though - and to be fair, if you suspect it might cause problems, there's always an option of simply not using that bit of the device.

Just a thought, anyway...

CoMiKe said:
I don't think the hinge should be a problem.

Even Fujitsu has released something very similar to this, the Fujitsu Lifebook U Series.

http://images.google.es/images?q=lifebook+u

That particular design is probably patented. Plus, if there are any games that use the keyboard as well as touchscreen (you know, like basically any PC game that we want to port), it wouldn't make much sense to add another potential wobbling point.

And you know, while I'm at it, are there actually any PSX games that USE all 4 shoulder buttons? Because there are a lot of people complaining for them, and I honestly don't see why they're even necessary. If there are any that would need extra buttons, we have an entire fricking keyboard to work with, you know. It's not like the gaming controls have to be the only thing you can use for gaming. And if people are going to keep bringing up seesaw buttons, PLEASE stop using the GP2X volume control for comparison. It's one thing to use it for something like volume, but try to imagine using it for anything that you need quick response for. You'd probably end up hitting it in the middle in most cases, registering either both buttons, or neither. Way too inaccurate.

It doesn't matter to me if the Pandora has 2 or 4 shoulder buttons, really ;)

I just added that to idea, as people seems interested in having 4 shoulder buttons.

The main idea is to ease the use of the touchscreen, and I also think it helps using it as a gaming handheld.

EDIT: Anyway, if you don't like the rotating hinge, then we can make the clamshell to open entirely to 360º.
The problem with that is the keyboard would be under the screen, facing downwards, and you would be constantly pressing keys.

xnopasaranx said:
Seriously, I find the lifebook really ugly. That one hinge rotating thingy is freakish. Just look how massive the hinge is. No way. Nice idea but not feasible.

Still there has to be a solution. I think it would be great to have the screen cover the keyboard at will. It will be just way more comfortable to use the touchscreen then.

Gah... irritating.
You know what would work? Having open connectors on each side of the screen, that way it could be slid off, over the keyboard, and then back around. But then again, that's not a practical idea at all. :ph34r:

I don't know, I really do like the general idea as it is, with just some fine-tuning to fix spacing and everything. That entire "this looks like an old Nintendo product on steroids" thought keeps popping up in my head, and it just really appeals to me.

MWeston said the keyboard isn't finalized, right? So whatever happens with that, that should work out well. I would definitely like something like a mini laptop style keyboard, but it won't be the end of the world if that doesn't work out. And the d pad isn't set either, if memory serves me. Something even a little bit more like a Sega d pad would make my thumb very happy. The analog doodads look a little weird where they are, but I can't see anything interfering with function.

My one serious reserve is with the shoulder buttons. I don't know about anyone else, but I have issues with the shoulders on the GP2X. It could just be how I hold the system, but my fingers cramp up if the lower three are holdng up the system, and the index is on top. Just try and make the case ergonomic, I guess. I can't really say too much, as I haven't held an actual device yet.

By the way, a lot of the comments here are either really ridiculous, completely rude, or a complete change from the general ideas already set down. Sometimes all three. I kind of doubt that comments from any of these categories are going to help in the end design of the system, but then again, it's true that I don't know how much they're willing to change. I kind of doubt that it's very much, though, especially since the current design should work fairly well in the end.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. This is supposed to be really skinny, right? Make sure it won't overheat, since everything is so close together. Some Wiis were having a graphics problem or something because everything so tightly packed.

There's one major problem that I instantly noticed with the tablet-hinge version. The keyboard part that we'd be covering up comes above the surface of that part of the device. Therefore, the screen would turn down but would not be able to lie flat. That could be remedied by making the top of the device concave, but that wouldn't look very good.

Xmoon said:
I like the general design. I don't like that this superb machine will seem a wanabe ds for many people.
I would like not so "squarish". More tapwave zodiac.

What I really don't like. No international keyboard. Only english. That's very limited. : :blink:

Please add a few keys so everybody could write à, á, ..., ü, ç, ñ, etc...

Square is *in* dood. Ever seen a DS lite? An Ipod? last I checked those were kind of popular ;) A mac book?

The other thing is that it is just more efficient to get everything to fit in a small package. More curvy means bigger size for the same thing.

DaveC said:
Xmoon said:
I like the general design. I don't like that this superb machine will seem a wanabe ds for many people.
Square is *in* dood. Ever seen a DS lite? An Ipod? last I checked those were kind of popular ;) A mac book?

The other thing is that it is just more efficient to get everything to fit in a small package. More curvy means bigger size for the same thing.

As I mentioned before, ergonomics should be taken into consideration as well. I'm sure you could fit all the electronics of the original Playstation controller in a simple rectangle, but they gave it those handles to hold onto as well. That's definitely something to consider, even if CraigIX just decides to later produce a snap-on shell with a grip.

Yrx said:
DaveC said:
Xmoon said:

As I mentioned before, ergonomics should be taken into consideration as well. I'm sure you could fit all the electronics of the original Playstation controller in a simple rectangle, but they gave it those handles to hold onto as well. That's definitely something to consider, even if CraigIX just decides to later produce a snap-on shell with a grip.

Maybe there will be a grip shell. Maybe there will be a clip-on MAME arcade shell to play vertical games and include a trackball and spinner. The thing can always be accessorized.

I think the ship has sailed guys as far as drastic redesigns. It's just torturing yourself at this point.

As for mike's re-design specifically, the balance of that in your hands would be awful when using the game controls with the keyboard out (and yes, you will want to be doing that when using any type of PC emulator). All moot anyway.

Also, I prefer the white, but I don't care if the thing is purple with yellow polka-dots. I'm not buying this as a fashion statement or to show off to people who see me using it on the train or wherever.

I think it looks fine. In fact, the uglier it is, the less likely it is to be stolen, so bonus if it doesn't look sleek and sexy. I'd like to see some SLIGHTLY rounded corners for great justice, but other than that, all thumbs up!

Concerning the colours:
Producing different unicolour-versions shouldn't be that hard and I'd love to see some "special editions". Dark matte grey to be precise.

Eolair said:
Look any better? The problem is that you would have to redesign the hinge completely....maybe not what you want to do at this point.

That looks much better, though I'd prefer the upper corners to not be as curved, and what about seeing the LED indicators while closed?

Ugh. A handheld should be a game controller with a screen, not a fucking laptop. This is seriously the gayest design I've ever seen.

Heres a respectable design ;)
mockupzm2.png

the rectangles at the top are shoulder buttons, the round thing at the bottom is an analog stick, the rest is obvious.

I like the design, it's classy enough to use for calendar/email functions at work - but little do they know that I have the ultimate game machine in my hands! I'm all for function over looks - this thing will handle anything you throw at it - console and computer emulation. I'll start saving up right now!

Back