Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh.

• I dislike it

• I hate it

• Total voters

if it's as small as a DS lite, it's perfect - if it's bigger, no way! I wanna see comparisons in size.

I'm not sure if by "Pandora's design" the original poster meant the look or the
specs. I assume he meant looks.

I like the specs (very much) and I also like the addition of a (reduced) keyboard.
But I voted "I dislike it" because of its looks. Some of the graphics in the 300+ thread
were much better looking. Wanting to add all desirable features gives it a bit too much
'featuritis'. A slide-out keyboard and -dare I say- a more PSP look instead of aNDS look
would have made it more appealing, I think. But then, I already have an NDS. I don't have
a PSP (mostly because of Sonys DRM'ing of every possible feature).

But still, its specs are nice

yodaofborg said:
So you are telling me the extra keys will not come into play, and that the Q and P keys are hard to reach? Too hard to reach to use as triggers?
You're assuming that my thumbs will be free, and they won't be. Imagine MOH for example, you're using the left stick to move and the right stick to look, so if I'm crouching and firing...

yodaofborg said:
Most Playstation games don't even NEED the analogue sticks, so hitting one in any direction could simulate triggers...
They'll be the ones you play then. A lot of the ones I play do need them (remember there are thousands of PSX games so the phrase "most Playstation games" needs to be taken with a grain of salt) but I digress, I'm whining about the shoulder buttons, not the analog sticks. Generally for the older games(and the 2D stuff) it's not necessary, but for the true classics like MGS, Ape Escape, MOH, Vagrant Story, Colony Wars etc. it is. However it's not a bad idea, though I think it would be awkward to use at best.

yodaofborg said:
Lets face it, if L1 and L2 are needed more than R1 and R2, then you can put the lesser needed buttons (yes, there are ALWAYS lesser needed buttons, even in Abe) on the keyboard, and use the triggers as *mandatory* buttons.
Again you're assuming that both my thumbs will be free...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lobo said:
You're assuming that my thumbs will be free, and they won't be. Imagine MOH for example, you're using the left stick to move and the right stick to look, so if I'm crouching and firing...
How about, then, we use the fact that you're likely to have your hands in a position to mash the keyboard slightly if you want to whilst playing. Set the left half of the keyboard to one trigger, and the right half to the other.

Sure, there'd be problems - iirc the keyboard can only take 2 characters at once (if that), so L2+R2 might be hard, and of course, you can't use it for anything else if you map like that. But you do get two extra triggers.

Incidentally, does anyone remember whether there's a click in the analogue nubs? Because if there is, why oh why can't those be mapped to L2/R2 respectively?

Sounds a bit awkward, and from what people are saying about the keyboard/pad position I'll already be doing that by accident :D Another possibility though.

About the analog nub click: Now you've got me thinking if the whole L3 and R3 stick-click thing is used at all on PS1, or is that something exclusive to PS2?

Karel Jansens said:
A_SN said:
You're the idiot. We're not going to buy something for 300 euros if it looks awful and if the touchscreen is crippled by design.
What exactly is crippled in the design of the touchscreen? (this is an actual question, not flamebait)

It's gonna be hard to use without laying the thing flat on a table for the reason that you'd have to hold the console by the screen instead of the body to use the screen with the other hand. You don't have that problem with monoblock devices such as the F200

Lobo said:
Sounds a bit awkward, and from what people are saying about the keyboard/pad position I'll already be doing that by accident :D Another possibility though.
About the analog nub click: Now you've got me thinking if the whole L3 and R3 stick-click thing is used at all on PS1, or is that something exclusive to PS2?

Nah, they were there on PSX but even I can admit that they're practically redundant :D Still, stick click will not be good for just anything.

Unless they are intending to surprise us again, like with dual SD and the other thing, we may as well forget dual shoulders.. even though I showed a practical solution as far as I'm concerned :(

Can't you use the F1 and del button for this purpose? If you use your pointing fingers to press them and your middle finger for the shoulder buttons it could work. I guess this will take some practice, but it isn't impossible.

The other possibility if you insist on dual "shoulders" might be a botton on each side of the unit, literally. You'd hit them by mistake all the time, so they'd definitely have to be user-activated and disabled by default, but in princple, you could use "squeeze" buttons, if space permitted.

It would be nice since you guys are talking about it, if you gave some kind of response on the post I made with an option for two.. either way good or bad.

zaffercharles said:
"One shoulder per side, 2 actions. Perhaps viable without the overhang at all depending on how much of the above space could be used for them. The slight angle the overhang gives would maybe help 2 ways, using the keyboard on a flat surface and giving something to rest your fingers under while holding with one hand, and using the stylus with the other..
yeah, i like this idea. or just four shoulderbuttons with overhang.

I cant use the analog nub as L2/R2, because i need the thumb for the A, B, X, Y buttons. :/

A_SN said:
Karel Jansens said:
A_SN said:
You're the idiot. We're not going to buy something for 300 euros if it looks awful and if the touchscreen is crippled by design.
What exactly is crippled in the design of the touchscreen? (this is an actual question, not flamebait)

It's gonna be hard to use without laying the thing flat on a table for the reason that you'd have to hold the console by the screen instead of the body to use the screen with the other hand. You don't have that problem with monoblock devices such as the F200

No, that just means you'd have to use it differently from a tablet-like device. I can vouch that using a touch screen on a hinged device with a keyboard is not more difficult; it's just different.

Oh, I have extensively used both a Psion 5mx, a Netbook and several Newton MessagePads.

It all depends on how (well) the user interface is designed.

zaffercharles said:
It would be nice since you guys are talking about it, if you gave some kind of response on the post I made with an option for two.. either way good or bad.
I CAN HAS MORE SHOULDER BUTTONS? :) :)

MWeston said:
zaffercharles said:
I CAN HAS MORE SHOULDER BUTTONS? :) :)

OH HAI. MORE SHOULDER BUTTONS PLZ? KTHNX.

[/lolcat]

:lol: They started it!

It's going to be a bit flat though, isn't it. On the table. And overhang would give extra grip in the hands. And make room for these bloody buttons I can't seem to shut up about!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I know I've posted on this all ready but I just feel I should press the subject. I'd like to see real good WIFI please make the wifi antenna external, or at leat try to make it easy to mod a wifi type antenna plug by leaving a few open well labeled contacts(kinda like what they did with "Atari Flashback2", to make it easy to add a game slot). A good antenna can make a world of differences.

thanks

Back