Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh.

• I dislike it

• I hate it

• Total voters

As I understand it, Pandora won't support anything beyond Svideo by default - so VGA and other monitor inputs go down right there, without the aforementioned signal converter.

Iirc, svideo is ~640x480, although I've a suspicion the numbers may not be quite so rounded.

It may be possible (ask those who know about these things - Squidge, Exophase, MWeston and Craigix in particular) to output vga via the USB port, but I've not come across any USB->VGA adapters before, so I wouldn't get your hopes up...

Squidge said:
Tobriand said:
It may be possible (ask those who know about these things - Squidge, Exophase, MWeston and Craigix in particular) to output vga via the USB port, but I've not come across any USB->VGA adapters before, so I wouldn't get your hopes up...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...45&doy=29m1 :D

Well, it's expensive, but if someone got it to work, there's certainly a chance I'd think about getting one. Think I'd not be the trailblazer on that one though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just add my thoughts based on the renders on openpandora.(com|ca)

I'm not sure I like the placement of all the ports on the front of the unit. I would put USB and DC power jacks on the back. One of the problems I have with my PSP is the DC cord sticks straight out the bottom so I have a cord in my lap when I play. It does make sense to leave the headphone port up front since the cord should be running right to your head.

The keyboard thread had turned mostly into a shell vs gamers argument but I expect to do things like chat on google talk and browse the web when I'm not using it as an MP3 player (possibly even GPS with a dongle) in my car (my PSP currently fills the MP3 player role). I'm not looking to do hardcore typing, just enough to type web addresses and chat. I've never thumb-typed before but I think this thing is too small to set on a table and try to touch-type (I think I'd look like an idiot in the process being hunched over what looks like an incredibly tiny laptop).

Someone else mentioned making the LED's visible when closed, I second this request. Perhaps some grips could be molded into the sides as well. Finally, the speakers on most portable devices of this type are mostly useless anyway so how about moving them from the sides of the display to underneath it and putting "menu" type buttons along one or both sides of the display (this one is from far left field but I liked it on one of my older portable media players)?

Overall, as long as features don't start disappearing (and it doesn't look likely with this crowd) and I get my Wifi, keyboard, and touchscreen I'm definitely in for one even if it still looks like the renders!

javaJake said:
Composite is the format used for TV's, correct? :s
No, that'd be a composite signal muxed with the audio signal - on one wire. Not cool. Composite is actually a step up from your regular antenna signal, but it still looks crap.

cappuchok said:
javaJake said:
No, that'd be a composite signal muxed with the audio signal - on one wire. Not cool. Composite is actually a step up from your regular antenna signal, but it still looks crap.

Close, but not quite. Composite video is simply the video (not audio) signal sent down one wire. The chroma, luma, and sync are all sent together in one waveform. It is the most common sort of video signal on consumer-grade AV equipment, and is usually sent out via a yellow RCA connector.

S-Video is the next step up. Video quality is much better with S-video because the luma and chroma are separated out and sent down different conductors, each with their own ground.

Pandora will have both composite and S-video out.

Pandora will not have the following, but I'm linking to them anyway for educational purposes (arguably in order of improving quality):
  • Component video
  • VGA (or RGB)
  • SCART (It's not really a format, just a "convenient" connector that combines composite, S-video, RGB, and analog audio on one cable. It's used in many European countries where nobody can be bothered to sort out different cables.)
  • DVI
  • HDMI
Hope that clears things up.

On first look I thought it was unattractive, but interesting. The more I look at it now though the better I can tell that this thing looks like it will be quite useable. And the specs are totally awesome. This thing is nearly as powerful as a laptop in a small handheld with lots of great "geek" factor for us linux people.

I think it's awesome, and looks like it'll be a great gaming device or even just a computer on the road.

Chip said:
Close, but not quite. Composite video is simply the video (not audio) signal sent down one wire. The chroma, luma, and sync are all sent together in one waveform. It is the most common sort of video signal on consumer-grade AV equipment, and is usually sent out via a yellow RCA connector.

S-Video is the next step up. Video quality is much better with S-video because the luma and chroma are separated out and sent down different conductors, each with their own ground.

Pandora will have both composite and S-video out.

So I must be thick or something. I have a media box that has both composite and S-video connectors and I swear that, if anything, S-video looks worse on my tv than composite.

More info: The tv is an old-ish cathode monstrosity and the media box is used for playing from a DivX library.

Chip said:
cappuchok said:
javaJake said:

I was reffering to the question of whether Composite is the format used on regular (aerial) TV inputs (RF modulation). That is, as I said, a Composite video signal sent together with audio signal on one wire. Composite is the yellow connector with "only" video information. But that was not javaJake's question. However, between the two of us I believe we've covered all available TV input standards now. :)

Oh wow! I can't believe I've only just heard about the Pandora!!!!!

I't looks ace, everything I could ever want from a hand-held. I need to do more reading up on this...

Wow!

Miner49er said:
Oh wow! I can't believe I've only just heard about the Pandora!!!!!

I't looks ace, everything I could ever want from a hand-held. I need to do more reading up on this...

Wow!
Should be plenty of reading materials contained within these forums. :D

bump.JPG

JakeK said:
My only criticism is how shiny it is. I'd prefer it to be a matte black rather than a shiny black. Shiny doesn't look good.
): that hurts, but I agree anyways.

GnoStiC said:
i loved it but it should have the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover. :}
Is there any way we could actually do this? I would do it anyway with vinyl, but to have it molded into the lid would be the most awesome thing ever. (listening to fans of the movie who notice it would be the WORST thing ever. Movie suck, books good.)

Back