Pangea - Alternative Gui To Gmenu

latiosu said:
It's the best GUI I've seen so far. I'll probably use this one once I get a 2nd batch Pandora.
:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
@cb88
thx, for the links :) I remember, that I've seen a rotating cube somewhere with different screens on each side, maybe I was just klicking around and can't reconstruct the pathway any more.

Have you seen the GUI running on my own ARM graphics chip, yet :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhNhEerp9Y...feature=related

Well, I've learned I have to say, that im kidding so: Just kidding :rolleyes:

mali said:
@cb88
thx, for the links :) I remember, that I've seen a rotating cube somewhere with different screens on each side, maybe I was just klicking around and can't reconstruct the pathway any more.

Have you seen the GUI running on my own ARM graphics chip, yet :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhNhEerp9Y...feature=related

Well, I've learned I have to say, that im kidding so: Just kidding :rolleyes:

If someone makes a triangular GUI we could have 20 screens running on an icosahedron! >_>

In a fullscreen setting, this wouldn't be that bad. An appealing way to switch tasks IMO.
Yes, the SGX driver will make things much easier :)

The main problem with the flashy 3D effects, is that they can mess up when running 3D applications (and sometimes normal apps too). This would have to be sorted out in the desktop versions before even thinking about porting to the Pandora, otherwise it could cause trouble for people who enjoy the gamin stuff.

Would look damn impressive though ;)

EDIT: Realized that just making programs aware of the 3D software might be enough to sort this out. This would be hard to do on a desktop system, but on a hand held that needs software porting to it first (or that is getting new software written especially for it) it could be a lot easier.

What are the SGX drivers? I remember I giant thread about them but I never found out what they were

PoisonedV said:
What are the SGX drivers? I remember I giant thread about them but I never found out what they were
They are the drivers to access the advanced features of the graphics chip to have OpenGL ES acceleration.

Alex. said:
[...] I like how only the icon for the opened category is displayed in order to save space [...]
However, for optimized touchscreen usage, it should be solved differently. It would be better to make all the non active categories bigger while decreasing the size of the active category because that one can't be pressed anyway. Well, I guess the focus isn't that much on touchscreen usage on the Pandora but this is still something to think about...

Pangea will most definitly be my gui it looks so slick!

I will be making themes for sure too!

That is one (awesome) amazing GUI! But do you...

Have any idea about what the theme format is? would there be a built in manager? if so, would it accept .png backgrounds and icons?

Never hurts to think ahead :D (2nd batch)

Pseudonym said:
That is one (awesome) amazing GUI! But do you...

Have any idea about what the theme format is? would there be a built in manager? if so, would it accept .png backgrounds and icons?

Never hurts to think ahead :D (2nd batch)
Theme format is XML, I'll write documentation for it when it's done. Yes, there will be a built in theme manager. You can choose whatever common file format you want for backgrounds and icons, although I don't know how many formats does Qt 4 accept, but .jpg and .png are a given (I'm using pngs on the theme I'm using for development)

For multitask I'll be using Matchbox Window Manager. And Wifi has nothing to do with a launcher, I think each app should be for what it's designed, but you can have an icon on the system tray that manages wifi, being it an independent application.

I'm thinking about what wesbrown18 said about having all the battery status, wifi, clock speed, etc in matchbox widgets, so it's independent of the GUI. I have to study it, it's a good idea but how will it affect the theming?

Conky would work nicely for all the system info and looks "cleaner" imo.

efegea said:
For multitask I'll be using Matchbox Window Manager. And Wifi has nothing to do with a launcher, I think each app should be for what it's designed, but you can have an icon on the system tray that manages wifi, being it an independent application.

I'm thinking about what wesbrown18 said about having all the battery status, wifi, clock speed, etc in matchbox widgets, so it's independent of the GUI. I have to study it, it's a good idea but how will it affect the theming?
Sound be fairly easy without any intervention on your part if you use the matchbox window manager.

Matchbox window manager can 'swallow' the matchbox system tray apps into the decoration/title bar. So no need to do anything other than making the SDL canvas slightly shorter to allow pixels for the window decoration.

This is a huge part of why we're going to use Matchbox. By using X11 components with standard APIs, it makes it trivial for other frontends to use the existing work.

Back