Payback Full Version Won't Work?

GoblinX

Still Fresh
So I stumbled upon the page to purchase Payback today. Looked fun, so I bought the thing in the download able version, and downloaded it. Installed it to my SD card, and gleefully tried to run it....

Nothing. It's just a black screen. Anyone else have this problem with it? I'm highly dissapointed, because it looked fun.

I'm on a F200 in case that helps. Firmware 4.02

craigix said:
It might be the firmware version you are running.

Does the demo work?
No, wish I'd tried it first :/

What firmware would you reccomend? Is it safe to downgrade mine from 4.02 to an earlier one?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Just wait a little we are trying to figure it out, is your GP2X one of the new ones with the new LCD?
I believe so, I've not had mine even two months yet, I don't believe.

Goblin said:
So I stumbled upon the page to purchase Payback today. Looked fun, so I bought the thing in the download able version, and downloaded it. Installed it to my SD card, and gleefully tried to run it....

Nothing. It's just a black screen. Anyone else have this problem with it? I'm highly dissapointed, because it looked fun.

I've got the full version of Payback (and the demo) .. I too have a new GP2x that's firmware 4.0.2. It's the firmware that's the problem. Update it to 4.1.0 and it will all work fine. Yeah, it is fun. Perfect GTA clone.

When I first got my GP2x I couldn't get MAME4All, MAMEGP2x, Payback, Vice, Super Maryo Chronicles, and some other titles working at all. Always just a black screen. ..was discussed in another forum topic, but the 4.1.0 update fixed it for all of us.

Nathan.

TKO said:
Goblin said:

I've got the full version of Payback (and the demo) .. I too have a new GP2x that's firmware 4.0.2. It's the firmware that's the problem. Update it to 4.1.0 and it will all work fine. Yeah, it is fun. Perfect GTA clone.

When I first got my GP2x I couldn't get MAME4All, MAMEGP2x, Payback, Vice, Super Maryo Chronicles, and some other titles working at all. Always just a black screen. ..was discussed in another forum topic, but the 4.1.0 update fixed it for all of us.

Nathan.

I was considering updating my firmware, but also read 4.1.0 can brick systems? Is it safe for me to upgrade?

TKO said:
Goblin said:

Nathan.

Tried updating, dragged the new firmware onto my blank SD card, root of it. It said press b to upgrade, I pressed it. It said patched.

I looked for the utilities menu, I didn't see one. So, not knowing what to do, I turned my unit off, removed the firmware files from the SD, put payback on it, and popped it back in. Upon booting my unit, it said firmware 4.0.2, yet I noticed when it finally loaded, a new background screen. Payback still didn't work.

Any idea what happened? Did I not fully upgrade firmware?

If the F200 is like the F100 you will need to put the firmware in the root of SD. Then turn GP2X off, press and hold START and SELECT when you turn on. Wait untill it shows the firmware update screen then you can let go of the buttons, then leave it alone for a few mins. It will do a few different things then load to the work bench. Pull SD restart and you should be ready.

MrHillBilly said:
If the F200 is like the F100 you will need to put the firmware in the root of SD. Then turn GP2X off, press and hold START and SELECT when you turn on. Wait untill it shows the firmware update screen then you can let go of the buttons, then leave it alone for a few mins. It will do a few different things then load to the work bench. Pull SD restart and you should be ready.
Yeah, I did the Start+Select thing when updating it too .. make sure with firmware updates that you read the update instructions carefully, coz (generally) if a firmware update is done wrong (wrong firmware or incomplete update) it is possible to brick a device. .. afterwards it will show 4.1.0 when booting, and the menu's have a new background .. also the touch screen calibration is (finally) in english.

Thank you to all of you. With your help, I got my firmware installed, and now Playback runs fine. It was definitely worth the upgrade :) I really do appreciate all the time you folks have taken to help me, so thank you again.

Goblin said:
Thank you to all of you. With your help, I got my firmware installed, and now Playback runs fine. It was definitely worth the upgrade :) I really do appreciate all the time you folks have taken to help me, so thank you again.

glad to see things working for you. had the same issues with my f200 ( B ) that i purchased new a few weeks. it came with 4.0.1 firmware (on system info screen) and showed 4.0.2 on system bootup screen.

i had the same problems with payback, mame and a few other things. i installed the old version of 4.1.0 and things work fine now.

Back