Paypal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, whatever Craigix will use I am sure I have it covered. I have paypal for the longest now, used it for many online purchases. I also have my debit mastercard that I can use and capitalone mc as well. Since mastercard had become more popular than visa, I don't think I have to worry.

Squidge said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
That's a bad situation and all, but how does it affect you if PayPal is an offered payment option? No one's forcing you to use it. If your account is locked up, you're not going to be able to send money anyways, PayPal doesn't just freeze accounts mid-transaction, as many here are trying to say.
Lets turn this around, what if Craigix's account is locked up for 6 months? There could be over a hundred thousand pounds that is completely unusable, but people will still want there Pandoras or a refund. It could bankrupt him.And tomorrow the stock market could crash, too. Or your bank account could get frozen. Or a credit card transaction may be faulty. Or the world could end. I'm sure if Craig gets a hold of them beforehand like he's planning, these doomsday scenarios everyone's throwing around aren't going to occur; not like they were likely in the first place. There are MILLIONS of people who make a LIVING on eBay stores, people here are blowing the "satanic" PayPal phenomena completely out of proportion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the end of the world if you can't pay with Paypal. It's not like there isn't any other route you can take to pay.

Craig is a business man so he will do what is best for his company. No need to tell him what he should or shouldn't do. Don't always look at things from one side.

Kayday said:
It's not the end of the world if you can't pay with Paypal. It's not like there isn't any other route you can take to pay.

Craig is a business man so he will do what is best for his company. No need to tell him what he should or shouldn't do. Don't always look at things from one side.

Like you are right now? :rolleyes:

Problem is, people like myself have been under the assumption that PayPal would be accepted since the beginning, seeing as it's the most common way to pay for crap on the internet. The turnaround time for the funds I've garnered to a form of "accepted" currency isn't going to make it in time for the preorder. The point of Pandora was community input, no? Well, I'm part of the community and I'm giving my opinion on this. Since when is that a bad thing? Besides, according to this, nothing's set in stone yet:
craigix said:
We do accept it but as Squidge said the problem is they have a habit of suspending accounts if you get too much in them. But I'll give them a call and see what I can arrange (if they actually have a phone line).

CronoTriggerfan said:
Besides, according to this, nothing's set in stone yet:
craigix said:
We do accept it but as Squidge said the problem is they have a habit of suspending accounts if you get too much in them. But I'll give them a call and see what I can arrange (if they actually have a phone line).
Speaking of that;

@Craig, just in case you've been busy and haven't been able to get to that yet, they have a link to get to their UK phone number here, but you'll need to log in to get at it, it appears.

hey

Actually I think they should be cautious.

Anyhows I agree with what was said earlier, lookout for alternative options. Ask friends or family members if they have a credit card you can use and pay them back. Also, I'd probably advise to be careful about withdrawing ya paypal funds for now incase it turns out you can use it. Hmm, I mean even if you do withdraw the funds from paypal then how can you use it to purchase the thing if ya need a creditcard? it would be of no help.

I don't think many businesses that use paypal or whatever launch products like the pandora that may produce a large profit in a short period of time. I think such a thing could very well automatically flag warning signs for investigation by paypal.

cyas

CronoTriggerfan said:
And tomorrow the stock market could crash, too. Or your bank account could get frozen. Or a credit card transaction may be faulty. Or the world could end.
Or PayPal could go bust. And unlike a regular bank account (which earns you interest!), you're not covered by the FSCS.

PayPal offers massive convenience to a buyer, but as a seller I *hate* it. I don't mind the fees, although they are a lot higher than a normal credit card processing fee, but they hang on to your money for far too long and like to make it very difficult to get money out.

You keep saying it's the most commonly used payment method on the internet. I'd like to see some references for this, because quite frankly I don't believe it for a second. A quick Google turns up this:
"Credit cards are by far the most common method of payment for online purchases—60 percent of global online consumers used their credit card for a recent online purchase, while one in four online consumers chose PayPal. Of those paying with a credit card, more than half (53%) used Visa."

I'd understand your frustration if you were buying from abroad - it drove me nuts having to borrow my parents credit card to import items before I was 18 and could get one of my own - but is there any reason you don't have a regular high street bank account? As already said, they give out debit cards to those under 18 - and all that money in your PayPal account could be moved into an account that you can access at any time (and earn interest!).

Guys, the alternatives you keep throwing around would work out if I knew that PayPal wasn't going to be used a month ago. People who have money in their PayPal accounts, such as myself, now have a mere one week to bend over and find some alternative method, throw cash around, and bend over backwards for something so simple. I'm sorry, but I've got a life, too, and so do my folks; I can't just drop everything I'm doing and whip myself up a bank account.

CronoTriggerfan said:
something so simple. I'm sorry, but I've got a life, too, and so do my folks; I can't just drop everything I'm doing and whip myself up a bank account.
Some banks allow you to apply online and you can get an account number within 48 hours. You just have to visit the bank once to show id and your done (or you could visit the bank and get everything done the same day in some cases).

We know your busy, but, how much do you want that Pandora? ;)

CronoTriggerfan said:
Guys, the alternatives you keep throwing around would work out if I knew that PayPal wasn't going to be used a month ago.

If Paypal didn't drag their feet in a way that borders on fraud any time you ask for your own money, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Maybe this situation should serve as a wakeup call that you need to start handling your money more responsibly. Many banks will give minors a checking account if their parents have an account there. I got a checking account at 15 because the branch manager was a friend of my mother's. If your family bank won't help, there are other banks that will. A 10 sec Google search came up with Key Bank, which offers free student checking with a MasterCard debit card for any student age 16 or over.

It may be too late to set this up for the 30th (it wouldn't have been if your money was more accessible), but I strongly recommend you look into a proper checking account for future financial issues.

Chip said:
It may be too late to set this up for the 30th (it wouldn't have been if your money was more accessible), but I strongly recommend you look into a proper checking account for future financial issues.
I have checked today if it is possible in the Netherlands to get a credit card before the 30th. That will be very difficult, so if you don't have one right now you are screwed or you need to find someone who wants to pay for you.
In the Netherlands people tend not to trust using a creditcard online, so that can be a problem.

Really this could have be handled a lot better and sooner. It doesn't take a lot of time to mail "paypal will not be allowed", still haven't seen a decision from Craig yet so it can still change. Not very professional imo. That really will be frustrating for people relying on Paypal. I will be ok, though, I have arranged something already.

b_o_b said:
Really this could have be handled a lot better and sooner. It doesn't take a lot of time to mail "paypal will not be allowed", still haven't seen a decision from Craig yet so it can still change. Not very professional imo. That really will be frustrating for people relying on Paypal. I will be ok, though, I have arranged something already.
I agree, it doesn't take much to visit Craigs site, add a gp2x into your shopping cart, and check out the payment methods offered...

After all, it makes sense that Craig will sell the Pandora on his own site.

In my opinion paypal should be a payment option if it costs absolutely no more than other payment methods from a sellers point of view, if it costs less then perhaps should be considered.

CCard, Visa, Debit cards all the way!!!! :rolleyes:

CronoTriggerfan said:
Problem is, people like myself have been under the assumption that PayPal would be accepted since the beginning

It's pretty poor form to make a mistake and then blame others for it or to demand that others fix it for you.

@ CronoTriggerfan: As you said, it was you're assumption that paypal was going to be accepted. Craig has never openly advertised paypal on gbax.com.

Why don't you ask a parent to pay for you, then transfer the cash to their account from the paypal account - easy!

Squidge said:
I agree, it doesn't take much to visit Craigs site, add a gp2x into your shopping cart, and check out the payment methods offered...

After all, it makes sense that Craig will sell the Pandora on his own site.
Evildragon is on the investor team as well and gives bank transfer and paypal as option on gp2x.de (very common combination in Europe)
Why should a potential customer search a forum to find one message in july that the ' usual payment methods' will be used without explaining what that will be.
29th of September we will know... that is really too late.

Open and honest communication is better than vague statements without clarification. Even if it is bad news. Now it is something as simple as pre-ordering.. what's next?

joa said:
In my opinion paypal should be a payment option if it costs absolutely no more than other payment methods from a sellers point of view, if it costs less then perhaps should be considered.
We know Craigix uses Protx, although which package is unknown. So that probably means either £20/month or 10p per transaction if there home page is to be believed. This seems considerably cheaper than Paypal's 3.4% + €0.35 EUR per transaction - almost €9 per Pandora in fees!

b_o_b said:
Why should a potential customer search a forum to find one message in july that the ' usual payment methods' will be used without explaining what that will be.
Why duplicate work? There was no need to explain, as his site clearly states which payment methods are available, and they have been the same ones for years (for the GP32/GP2X and other systems). His post reinforced this.

Squidge said:
b_o_b said:

Why duplicate work? There was no need to explain, as his site clearly states which payment methods are available, and they have been the same ones for years (for the GP32/GP2X and other systems). His post reinforced this.
It's still increasingly unclear exactly what outfits/sites will sell Pandora. GBAX may not offer PayPal, but these QUOTE
...special distribution
arrangements for USA, Canada, Spain, UK, Ireland, Germany & Turkey.

may offer PayPal. This thread exsts for confirmation (yay or nay) of ANY Pandora distributor.

Fair enough, I was going from a quote someone else made:

The first 3000 need to be ordered via us for us to pay for all the development costs.

Finding Craigix original post also includes this:

After than Hardcore gamer will be the regular Spanish distributor and supporter of the Pandora, including the initial preorders (supported via us of course).

Which seems to be both confusing ('than' = typo for then?), and throws the entire things into contradiction. How can you order via craigix to pay for all the development costs, but also pay via a distributor? Maybe he means you have to pay Craigix directly, but the distributor will then get a large batch to send out to the people buying one, instead of exporting them all from the UK? In which case, who pays for each part of the delivery?

:huh: :blink:

Which seems to be both confusing ('than' = typo for then?), and throws the entire things into contradiction. How can you order via craigix to pay for all the development costs, but also pay via a distributor?

Exactly, that has been bothering me too.

I know its pretty hard/time consuming for craig to make it all clear, but a simple " What will happen when I Pre Order " thread (by Craig) in the News section would be a big relief.
I am pretty sure I will pre-order a Pandora, but to be honest, I totally have no clue at all (apart from the date), how I would be doing that, when to do it, where to do it, and so on.

Sure we could wait until 30 September, but constantly waiting for the unknown to happen isn't comforting the purchase to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back