Pc Gamepads

taras

Mega Pandora mania
Website
taras.net
I'm thinking of getting a PC gamepad so I can play emulators on my laptop.

But first i have some questions

1. Can you get USB gamepads?
2. Can you assign gamepad controls to keyboard letters, as some emulators (eg. Fusion) will only allow Keyboard or Mouse control?
3. How much should I pay and which type. I'm thinking £10-£15.

I have a USB pad; its crap but does the job. All you do is when calibrating the control in options is just press the button on the pad you want. I payed a tenner I think; but as I said its fairly crappy.

I would suggest getting a Joybox or something similar instead, which let you plug a Gamecube/Xbox/Snes etc controller into your pc. Most USB joypads are either really uncomfortable or just don't work very well. I have a Gamecube one and it works brilliantly.

Most programs will let you use gamepads, if they don't you can get some programs called Joypad Profilers which basically run in the background and press a key or mouse button when you press a joypad button. I use one called Joystick 2 Mouse (also does keyboard stuff).

get the nyko airflow PC
its exatcly like a psx controller almost, and keeps you hands nice with fans ( quiet )
great for all game types, sept the n64, then just get the n64 to USB converter

~Octavious

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use some usb pad on Gp32 ? Some of them don't need power I guess, but I'm not sure.

Would be interesting.

the logitech wingman pads are pretty good, if you don't mind loose analog sticks (they have too much play for my liking).
and i hate to say this, ut the best gamepads for pc are the microsoft sidewinders. they ar ereally cheap and obviousy have fewer problems than a third party pad. plus there are no drivers to install.

thecheat posted on Oct 10 2004 at 09:28 PM said:
and i hate to say this, ut the best gamepads for pc are the microsoft sidewinders. they ar ereally cheap and obviousy have fewer problems than a third party pad. plus there are no drivers to install.
don't get one that only has a d-pad though, sidewinder d-pads are awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use my "current" joypad, but the reason I'm getting a joypad is because I don't have a joypad...

you see? :)

taras posted on Oct 10 2004 at 10:44 PM said:
I would use my "current" joypad, but the reason I'm getting a joypad is because I don't have a joypad...

You missed the console bit out. ;)

So you don`t own a games console ???.

Then get a ps2 joypad or an xbox pad or a gamecube pad and one of the adaptors in the link in my previous post.

Trooper

taras posted on Oct 10 2004 at 09:44 PM said:

Thrustmaster firestorm is what i use well built pretty comfortable pad same layout as a ps2 controller does the job nicely . Watchout for the Fierce feedback..

JoyToKey also does the job of keypads presses to keyboard..
As for the joypad itself.. The joybox gets my vote :) PS, Saturn and DC.. ahh bliss

lol, jcb did you know that the Logitech NUON controllers were like that almost?
Just not as rounded I think...

I use Thrustmaster Firestorm Digital 3 myself, and found it suits my needs gaming needs for PC perfectly. I got 4 front-face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons and it's nice and small to hold in you hand.

Keep in mind I also have Firestorm Wireless and Firestorm Dual Power 2 which both have 2 analog controllers... But as mention I don't use them quite as much.

My boyfriend bought me the EMS USB2 and it's probably the best damn periphel I've ever owned for the computer, and mixed with the DexDrive, it turned my machine into a virutal PSX monster, but the EMS USB2 has also mapped with every emulator that supports Joypads too.

The only problem is if you are using XP you might have to dig for the drivers, but it's worth it.

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that you can use a Analog PSX controller on SNES and use the sticks for a nice next-gen feel for your classic games, but I could be wrong since I'm using an original smaller (and lighter) PSX controller with no sticks. I usually leave my analogs in my room for actual PS2 gameing (and yes, you can use any PS1 or PS2 controller with it.) It's main purpose though is for 'light gun addition' adaption but I never needed it for the light gun so I didn't try it.

You can buy it from Lik-Sang but my boyfriend ordered it through Level Six and it was only $15 american dollars. That's not a bad deal considering most analog computer joypads run $40 and up and this let's you take a controller you already own that usually beats all PC controllers and hook it right up.

Long winded speach over.

=)

A word of advise, don't ever get a Sight Fighter Digital Plus, they look ok but they are really uncomfortable and the d-pad is terrible

i got this unbranded gamepad from CHiPS

Its exactly the same as a ps2 one, exept lighter.

Inface, im pretty sure its the same shell, cos its IDENTICAL to a ps2 controller

Back