Toshiba Thrive

eksasol

I ran out and returned my Asus Transformer and got the Toshiba Thrive tablet when I found out it had a full size USB port. I've already tried connecting my mouse and keyboard to it with good results. Base on everybody else they can connect their wired Xbox, PS3 and USB gamepad to the tablet and the controllers work. My cordless Logitech gamepad don't seem to work so I'm getting a wired version.

The Asus Slider released later this year will have everything though, slide out keyboard and USB port. I'll probably sell my Toshiba for that.

I have the iControlPad, but lacking support on Android doesn't make it a viable option right now (In addition to poor selection of emulators on Android). Though I'm going to keep it incase of improved support in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.umpcporta...hands-on-video/

I much prefer the SAMSUNG Series 7 Tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rxvg3_QNkek?feature=oembed
wpid-020920114811.jpg

http://www.umpcporta...-testing-notes/

wpid-cm.jpg

I thought the industry and consumers had agreed to do away with windows tablets. What madness is this?

The iPad USB adaptor is handy for external audio devices and whatnot. I think it's oft overlooked, or just hated because it's an adaptor, or hated because it has limited device support. Actually, the iPad just seems to be generally hated 'round these parts.

Sony, maybe you can answer some questions for me. I've been reading/watching these tablets as well, and read the articles on Engadget and UMPC. It sounds appealing, but i wake up in the mornings anti-tablet and usually be evening I warm up to it. I go to sleep and this process repeats. (joking).

Anyway.

Can you explain something to me, this is an ignorant question without the use of google/wiki ahead of time, so pardon the question. These new "Windows Phones" that have mango, WP7, or the tablets with Windows XP Tablet edition. Even though it has the word windows, I cant assume for any of these non-standard editions that they would play Windows Games correct? I mean, might they as well be Android or something in the sense of "oooo, Windows, I can play Windows games!".

That being said, the Netbook Navigator Nav-series and this Samsung Series 7 are "regular" Windows 7 correct? So they do not fall into the above categories.

Again, any ignorance above, could probably be eliminated if Google was my friend, but I think I'm simply burned-out on researching at this point.

Oh one last thing, this tablet is heavier than most if I recall. But I'm wanting to like it. I've never used Android (i have a blackberry) and no desire to see what I'm missing unless it somehow takes over computers one day.

I can answer that.

Can you explain something to me, this is an ignorant question without the use of google/wiki ahead of time, so pardon the question. These new "Windows Phones" that have mango, WP7, or the tablets with Windows XP Tablet edition. Even though it has the word windows, I cant assume for any of these non-standard editions that they would play Windows Games correct? I mean, might they as well be Android or something in the sense of "oooo, Windows, I can play Windows games!".</p>
Anything running the Windows Phone OS is running on ARM, and hence not compatible on a binary level with classic x86 programs. There is however a tie-in with their XBox services, and efforts to make programs increasingly architecturally independent associated with Windows 8. We'll see how that actually plays out next year after Windows 8 actually launches.All Windows 7 devices, including the Sandy Bridge powered tablets Sony references, and the Brazos tablets, are for all intents and purposes related to running programs a normal computer. Whether you want to run certain applications on them, on the other hand, is an open question.Now mind you that the big name publishers are porting their games over ARM devices as part of their existing wide net multiplatform strategy. So the limiting factor here is going to tend to revolve around processing power, and how the associated charlie foxtrot that shows up once Windows 8 hits plays outs. If Microsoft, Valve, or otherwise don't start turning the publishers arms, I'm going to tend to say that they're going to go with their existing buy multiple times to cover multiple platforms strategy.

@friz898, Well I've been doing a fair amount of research and I surprised myself on getting on Android/ARM tablet, instead of Windows/x86 one.

The current gen Windows tablet uses x86 CPU and support Win7. Intel came out with their Oaktrail (single) and Cedartrail (dual) x86 cpu which are very low consumption and amazingly can work with Windows, Android and Meego. I do not know what issues Intel are having that's keeping these devices from showing up though, because there are many tablets with these cpu as spec, but they are very slow to release, though there are a couple right now such as Motion CL900 and the Fujitsu. Competiting with Intel is the current gen AMD Fusion tablet. On the higher end scale, Win7 tablet seem to run on these low power core i3 and i5 CPUs.

The next gen Win8 platform, on one side it will support x86, but it will also support ARM architecture. They'll have an app store though so it will make it less confusing to get app for Win8ARM, but I think some people might be confused with trying to play Crisis on their ARM tablet.

I fear Win8 might actually win out on the tablet war if Google doesn't come out with a strong OS (Android4.0 scheduled later this year) and somehow improve the fragmentation issue. I used 6 different Android phones and tablets, and they all have different kernel features and some app don't work with different one. I feel Microsoft will learn from this and makes a more unifying experience and compatibility across devices. People will flock toward platforms with killer app imo (MSOffice), going to be hard for Android to compete with toy apps). While WindowsPhone7 is a flop, Win8 might see a comeback. Add on to that they make tons of money by corp like Amazon and HTC paying them royalty for using linux technology.

Back