Release Pcsx-Rearmed

.pcsx hidden folder in the pcsx_rearmed folder it seems! I haven't been able to retest this as FFVIII isn't currently on my SD card, but I believe this is just before the first battle. Head downwards and keep going until you meet Quistis at the main gate. Skip through any tutorials, and you'll then go outside to the "world map" and soon enter your first battle. It should only take a few minutes.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R0U2NYPQ

I've noticed save games work fine with FFVII, so I'm hoping the save issue with FFVIII gets fixed in the future. (Though obviously the freezing is a higher priority, lol.) Thanks for your hard work.

Theme Hospital takes forever and a day to load, but after that it runs perfect. (I advise creating a save state so you can bypass the intro nonsense)

Theme Park also works perfect.

These are the NTSC versions. Using bios, everything else set to default.

Suggestions: Is it possible to include an option to automatically continue from the last save state?

Thanks for all the hard work, as soon as I get some money from selling some old stuff on eBay, I'm tossing a donation.

@Mantis, just wanted to mention that I had the shutter-every-5-seconds-problem also on ff8 and was able to clear it up by changing the region setting in pcsx. ff8 also freezes when you get in a battle, it's a ff thing apparently.

Cranking it down to 750MHz worked. Good lord, notaz, this is one excellent emulator. :)

Although, now, I have Mega Man Battle & Chase, a game I am thoroughly addicted to, in portable form... I'm not sure if that's a good thing for my free time! :lol:

Chaser said:
Shadow Master (NTSC SLUS 00545) (R4) Still randomly crashes out in early game play.
Apparently programmers of that game forgot about delay slots :(

Code:
  800135d8: LH r12,r5+8
  800135dc: LH r13,r5+a
  800135e0: SLTIU r2,r12,320
  800135e4: BEQ r2,r0,80013610
  800135e8: SLTIU r2,r13,256
  800135ec: BEQ r13,r0,80013610
  800135f0: SWC2 cpr2[13],r5+14
  800135f4: SWC2 cpr2[14],r5+20
  800135f8: LWC2 cpr2[0],r4+18
  800135fc: LWC2 cpr2[1],r4+1c
  80013600: ORI r2,r0,1
  80013604: COP2 1
  80013608: SWC2 cpr2[14],r5+2c
  8001360c: JR r31
jump in the delay slot.  this shouldn't happen.
Disabled speculative precompilation
* 80013610: JR r31
oops, branch at end of block with no delay slot
  80013614: ADDU r2,r0,r0
Don't have many ideas how to fix this one without implementing jumps in delay slots, which is not something I want to do. Not to mention executing intsruction at *r31 twice which I suppose would happen here..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just updated to R4.

Valkyrie Profile CD1 (NTSC) at CPU of 750, no BIOS. The starting menus work, and you can start a new game. Video is then very slightly stuttery in parts. Music plays, but some voices stutter, and others I believe fail to play at all. Game then freezes upon speaking to Odin a minute or two in. The same as in R3.

Ow, that looks really terrible notaz. Especially since it's indirect, otherwise you could at least statically recompile something. That seems like a good place to drop down into the interpreter, assuming the interpreter is delaying PC updates such that this works naturally.

.... or you could insert a nop there and see if it works for this game ;p

@stustaff - Welcome. Not quite sure what you mean by testing the image, unless you mean errors in the rip, so ill probably try redoing it at some point. I doubt the emu will be at fault though, although crashes may screw things up on the SD perhaps.

Lobo said:
Just thought I'd mention that Parasite Eve 2 PAL works, but you need to activate the fix for it in the Advanced menu.

Also, Syphon Filter 3 gets stuck in a loop on the second mission in the first (realtime) cut scene :(

Great news on PE2 I´ll have to try that with the fix. My wife dug that game big time. Shame about SF3, though with 1 and 2 to get through (if they dont have issues) there´s lots of time, as I recall them being quite time consuming to play through. There will no doubt be various games that have issues further along but we´ll have to see what folk find and report back on.

Prometheus said:
Cranking it down to 750MHz worked. Good lord, notaz, this is one excellent emulator. :)

Although, now, I have Mega Man Battle & Chase, a game I am thoroughly addicted to, in portable form... I'm not sure if that's a good thing for my free time! :lol:

All these old titles on various formats, in pocket form with good controls, is a serious hazard to social time. At least we can let others in on the fun soon (read acknowledge their physical presences) when the iCP and tv out cables ship, then our partners can cease sending pidgin texts or clawsmails to us, to tell us to get the hell off the Pandora, as they´ll be likewise absorbed! :)

@ notaz - thanks for looking into Shadow Master, though its not a vital title for me (just an fps I picked up cheap in a charity store, that I thought may boost the available fps titles). I gather its a darn hard but frantic serious sam/painkiller style title with descent´ish controls, whilst exhumed is a brain box and Alien Res is all atmosphere. The Doom titles dont appear to go yet but PrBoom has that covered better anyway.

games that dont work (all PAL)

Resident Evil 1: black screen
Resident Evil 3: stuck on content warning screen
Dino crisis 1: stuck on content warning screen

Also Dune 2000 worked pretty good in the previous version but in this one you get some very strange graphics corruption a few seconds after starting the first mission.I tried switching renderer but the bug continued.

Grandia - NTSC - locks up after intro movie (whitescreen).

Legend of Dragoon - NTSC - some random slowdowns every now and then... (60fps for 2 minutes, then 40fps for a 5-10 seconds, then 60fps again) - tested at all kinda cpu speeds from 600 to 800.

MooTheKow said:
I'd like to point out that as someone who doesn't seem to contribute ANY features what-so-ever that DaveC whines a whole heck of a lot.

I hope it has been done by others down this thread, but I'd like to point out that DaveC has contributed a whole lot, by for instance designing the case and pad and stuff. Also: DaveC contributes by whining a whole heck of a lot. Inbetween all the "Wonderful, we love you all!", there needs to be a nit-picking, constructive, persistent whiner to point out again and again what parts still have not reached perfection, or else no progress will be made.

I mean this most un-ironically. A "whiner" contributes a lot more than someone that (like me) goes "Woo, love it, will donate".

Moxie said:
MooTheKow said:
I'd like to point out that as someone who doesn't seem to contribute ANY features what-so-ever that DaveC whines a whole heck of a lot.

I hope it has been done by others down this thread, but I'd like to point out that DaveC has contributed a whole lot, by for instance designing the case and pad and stuff. Also: DaveC contributes by whining a whole heck of a lot. Inbetween all the "Wonderful, we love you all!", there needs to be a nit-picking, constructive, persistent whiner to point out again and again what parts still have not reached perfection, or else no progress will be made.

I mean this most un-ironically. A "whiner" contributes a lot more than someone that (like me) goes "Woo, love it, will donate".

Well, it depends. A whiner could be completely useless to the project if they just whine about useless things. DaveC's suggestions, however, tend to make sense and generally work towards improving the applications as a whole when implemented.

-God Ginrai

Yeah you have to learn to love DaveC... when I first joined the community (GP2X era) I thought "Geeze... does this guy ever shut up!!??"(Sorry Dave it's true... :p)
But over time you see that it's pretty much constructive criticism so the wise would take on board what he has to say! :)

notaz said:
Don't have many ideas how to fix this one without implementing jumps in delay slots, which is not something I want to do. Not to mention executing intsruction at *r31 twice which I suppose would happen here..
If you want to handle this in the dynamic recompiler, pagespan_ds() generates code that executes one instruction and then branches. This is invoked by calling new_recompile_block(address+1). Put the branch target address in r8 (or whatever HOST_BTREG is) and then jump to the block that it generates. I used this to execute the delay slot in cases where the delay slot may have changed due to remapping virtual memory.

The downside of recompiling these is that if it happens frequently, you'll end up filling the dynarec cache with a mess of overlapping blocks. It's probably better to call the interpreter for cases like this, as long your interpreter is set up to execute one instruction and then return to the recompiled code.

Hi all,

have heard about the new emulator just now. It's a fantastic improvement and I really appreciate notaz's work!

Chaser said:
Music 2000 (E) (SLES 02224) – (R4) NOW WORKS.
I would love to use this on my Pandora so I've tested it too. So far it works, yes. But unfortunately it's still unusable because there's no proper playback of the samples. When playing it back in the sample palette all is fine but by playing as notes in the riff editor or in the song ends up in crackling, with a few exceptions though. Because of that I want to ask if you got the same result? Otherwise it would be nice to tell me your settings.

However, I think this could work fine in the future with ease. I'll donate then for sure!

God Ginrai said:
Moxie said:
Inbetween all the "Wonderful, we love you all!", there needs to be a nit-picking, constructive, persistent whiner to point out again and again what parts still have not reached perfection, or else no progress will be made.
Well, it depends. A whiner could be completely useless to the project if they just whine about useless things. DaveC's suggestions, however, tend to make sense and generally work towards improving the applications as a whole when implemented.

Yup, exactly. Thus the "constructive" :)

More on topic: I've been trying out FF VII a little. With real bios and 750 clock, it moves along in excellent speed most all the time (granted, I have no summons yet, so the real tests of speed vs eyecandy is yet to come). Notaz is, as always, my hero :wub:

PokeParadox said:
Yeah you have to learn to love DaveC... when I first joined the community (GP2X era) I thought "Geeze... does this guy ever shut up!!??"(Sorry Dave it's true... :p )
But over time you see that it's pretty much constructive criticism so the wise would take on board what he has to say! :)

My sentiments exactly. DaveC grows on you. I also joined during the GP2X era and got angry at DaveC a lot. Then I started to notice that a lot of his comments made a lot of sense and were useful. :)

-God Ginrai

More people need to contribute to the compatibility chart!
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArSWWAWRjErldHZVZlFxY0tBVnRRNXM5U3ZqWFNuN0E&hl=en

Back