Release Pcsx-Rearmed

I got the same bug in Alundra (PAL) when it was on r4, I played the game for a bit but then when coming back to it, loading my file or starting a new game made the game hang. When I tried in r5 and r6 though, the game's been fine for me, I've played the first half hour of it with no problems. Looks like the erratic speed issues from r5 have gone now too :) . I'm loving this emulator, can't wait till it's all optimised.

Also MGS1(PAL) runs pretty much fullspeed and the analogue controls work, however, you need to turn them on during gameplay. If you have the analogue turned on on boot, you can't skip past the Konami logo or anything, it doesn't recognise button presses. There are also some weird graphical glitches in cutscenes and on the codec, but the game itself plays fine. Was wondering how the battle with Psycho Mantis will work though, will I just have to remap all the controls for that battle to Player 2? At least thanks to it being an emulator with a menu, pressing space now pauses the game so you can use it during cutscenes! Hooray! :D

FFIX also works with analogue controls. Just waiting for it to be fullspeed now before getting stuck into it.

Barnaby said:
If you have the analogue turned on on boot, you can't skip past the Konami logo or anything, it doesn't recognise button presses.

I've had similar issues. I think the start button doesn't work when set to the analogue controller meaning you can't skip cutscenes.

Thanks for the updates Notaz. My Pandora was away for a few weeks and the difference between versions in that time is stunning. I will be donating again at some point soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
BaDToaD said:
I've had similar issues. I think the start button doesn't work when set to the analogue controller meaning you can't skip cutscenes.

Nah the start button works fine, used it to pause in both FFIX and MGS. Just doesn't seem to work on the introductory stuff to MGS...

BaDToaD said:
Thanks for the updates Notaz. My Pandora was away for a few weeks and the difference between versions in that time is stunning. I will be donating again at some point soon :)

This. Notaz you are the fucking MAN! I also find it hilarious that Notaz doesn't find this optimized? Like it runs pretty god damn great and Notaz is like, "eh it can run better."

Beast.

Barnaby said:
Was wondering how the battle with Psycho Mantis will work though, will I just have to remap all the controls for that battle to Player 2?
If I'm remembering rightly, there was a way of fighting him without switching controller ports. You may want to look up a strategy guide or something to verify that. :p

notaz said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
In Alundra 1 I have got to deactivate the dynarec to start a new game. Otherwise I hit "Start" and the game hangs, but I can still get into the emulator's menu. Bad .img or bug?
Sounds like a bug, but NTSC version works for me. Which is yours?

NTSC. Just happened, as said, when starting a new game as it seems. Will try a bit deeper later. :)

Jade Cocoon seems to hard crash on startup now. Where as before you'd get into the menu before it'd crash.

Never mind. Everything is crashing, even on R5. Time to see what's up.

notaz said:
Actually it emulates the right controller, but not accurately enough. Ape Escape sends some commands and wants responses that were missing. Try this test build:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r6-4-g7ce7d3c.pnd
Could somebody try all games that support analog controller and report if they work with above test version?

Using the above build, the following games worked great:
  • All three Spyro games
  • Wipeout 3 (original and Special Edition)
  • Speed Punks (aka Speed Freaks)
  • Rollcage Stage II
  • Ghost In The Shell

The following games had issues:
  • Ape Escape: worked okay, but one direction (up and right) didn't register strongly. Our hero ran in all other directions, but in that direction he walked slowly, like a teenager who came in late and is trying not to wake his parents. Hardly heroic!
  • Robotron X and Wipeout XL: no button presses ever seem to register. But then both of these are 1996 games, and the Dual Analog Controller came out in 1997. I'm too lazy to haul out the PS1 and a Dual Analog to test and see if they act like this on the real hardware.

BTW notaz, I'm loving the auto region feature. I'm playing Spyro 1 and Wipeout 3 Special Edition from EU, and the rest from US, and now I don't have clock issues. Works great! I'm also loving the keyboard shortcuts for emulator controls, 1 and 2 for savegames and 5 toggling frameskip. I have frameskip on most of the time, but Speed Punks and Ghost In The Shell run like ass unless you turn it off. Good thinking!

Larry Hastings said:
[*]Ape Escape: worked okay, but one direction (up and right) didn't register strongly. Our hero ran in all other directions, but in that direction he walked slowly, like a teenager who came in late and is trying not to wake his parents. Hardly heroic!
Do you mean with nubs? If so reset your nubs and recal if needed. I have that problem just in general with mine though.

Barnaby said:
Also MGS1(PAL) runs pretty much fullspeed and the analogue controls work, however, you need to turn them on during gameplay. If you have the analogue turned on on boot, you can't skip past the Konami logo or anything, it doesn't recognise button presses. There are also some weird graphical glitches in cutscenes and on the codec, but the game itself plays fine. Was wondering how the battle with Psycho Mantis will work though, will I just have to remap all the controls for that battle to Player 2?

I don't experience those glitches with this game, your not the only one who still has problems, I'm curious as to what's going on there. The ONLY fault I have found so far is sometimes in the cutscenes the text goes faster than the actual audio, it recovers pretty soon after.

I'm stuck at Phsyco Mantis. I believe I have to do something to the statues in the room but I can't quite remember what to do! looks like I'll have to bind W,S,A,D etc to player 2 and complete the bit that way. I'm refusing to cheat by reading an online guide.. Playing this with my external speaker is sooo cool. This game is really atmospheric and draws me in for hours.. it would spoil for me if it glitched on videos

Bryce Leo said:
Larry Hastings said:
[*]Ape Escape: worked okay, but one direction (up and right) didn't register strongly. Our hero ran in all other directions, but in that direction he walked slowly, like a teenager who came in late and is trying not to wake his parents. Hardly heroic!
Do you mean with nubs? If so reset your nubs and recal if needed. I have that problem just in general with mine though.
Sir! I'll have you know that Ape Escape is unplayable with the original digital controller. It was Sony's showpiece for the Dualshock controller, and it makes heavy use of both analog joysticks.

I don't know how to reset/recalibrate the nubs, but I rebooted and now it had problems moving in different directions. So it's not the emulator's fault.

Larry Hastings said:
Sir! I'll have you know that Ape Escape is unplayable with the original digital controller. It was Sony's showpiece for the Dualshock controller, and it makes heavy use of both analog joysticks.

I don't know how to reset/recalibrate the nubs, but I rebooted and now it had problems moving in different directions. So it's not the emulator's fault.

K figured I'd check. I'll have to try out Ape Escape I've never played it before.

Resetting nubs is easy go into "nubs" on minimenu. You can go into "configure left/right nub" and choose "reset nub" easy peasy. I'll have to

Larry Hastings said:

K figured I'd check. I'll have to try out Ape Escape I've never played it before.

Resetting nubs is easy go into "nubs" on minimenu. You can go into "configure left/right nub" and choose "reset nub" easy peasy. I'll have to

OilySalmon said:
It should be good now. I think that with Megaupload there's a bit of a delay between uploading the file and having it become active. I don't know of many upload sites, sorry.
Ok beat that boss, it exploded, battle ended and story continued. Maybe check your dump against http://redump.org/disc/70/ (you can run 'md5sum' directly in terminal of pandora), step overclocking down a bit, I don't know.

BaDToaD said:
Barnaby said:
If you have the analogue turned on on boot, you can't skip past the Konami logo or anything, it doesn't recognise button presses.

Try the test build I posted in prev page, it should fix that.

Titcher said:
Jade Cocoon seems to hard crash on startup now. Where as before you'd get into the menu before it'd crash.

Never mind. Everything is crashing, even on R5. Time to see what's up.
You probably hit a firmware bug (to be fixed in HF5), try removing battery for a 5 minutes or so.

Larry Hastings said:
The nubs are supposed to calibrate themselves when you use them first time after boot by moving them to all directions. Strangely some of them don't need that at all and some do.

notaz said:
OilySalmon said:
It should be good now. I think that with Megaupload there's a bit of a delay between uploading the file and having it become active. I don't know of many upload sites, sorry.
Ok beat that boss, it exploded, battle ended and story continued. Maybe check your dump against http://redump.org/disc/70/ (you can run 'md5sum' directly in terminal of pandora), step overclocking down a bit, I don't know.

Hm... My md5 matches that. Clocked it down to 700, then 600MHz, toggled a few settings... same result each time. Is there a debug log or something I could send you? Maybe it's something that nothing can be done for? I think I've exhausted all my options. I've even tried using a PAL bin/cue image to try to get past this. Exact same result.

This is quite a bummer. It's my favorite FF game. :(

Prometheus said:
^ Just a thought: Are you using HLE, or the BIOS?

BIOS. From what I've experienced it's the only way to enter battles without the emulator freezing (which it not what it's doing right now. It's just crashing to the desktop). I don't think there's a way to switch the BIOS used on a save state, but I'll see what I can do about resuming from an actual save (not a save state, but from the "memory card"). Honestly though I think that won't do anything very useful. Worth a shot though, I suppose.

OK I know I'm being a tard here, but how do you get the nubs to work as joystick on this emu?

Mine don't seem to do anything even when I set up the controller as the Analog in the controller settings.

jonjandran said:
OK I know I'm being a tard here, but how do you get the nubs to work as joystick on this emu?

Mine don't seem to do anything even when I set up the controller as the Analog in the controller settings.

Are you using the test build in post #574? Or R6?

Wow, notaz, this emulator's seen some enormous improvements since the last couple of releases! Once again, I'm very impressed.

I won't do full write-ups this time, because all that needs saying for most of the games I've previously written about is that the fixed frameskip has put an end to them slowing down in certain places (which I'd noted before).

However, I did want to make special mention of Klonoa - Door To Phantomile (PAL), which has seen the most improvement this time around. That game was unplayably slow before, and sped up in just a few rare places, and now it is the opposite - with frameskip, and clocked to 750MHz, it runs full-speed, but for a few spots where it still slows down a tiny bit (regardless of the frameskip). It is absolutely fantastic - I never thought I'd get to play this on a handheld! The only real issue it has is some errors with displaying the names assigned to character text-boxes (this can easily be observed at the end of the second level, Gunston Mine, and in the story scene once you've beaten its boss, Rongo Lango. Sometimes it will show "???" at the start of the second line of one person's text (where there should be no "???" at all, as this is used to denote a newcomer to the conversation), or for a moment in place of a character's name, when that name is disappearing (the best example is Grandpa at the very end of the aforementioned story scene, just before it fades out). This is not really a problem, but just in case it's indicative of some other emulation issue or niggle or something, I'm making a note of it here. :p

One thing is important to note, however: For Klonoa - Door To Phantomile, you MUST turn off the "SPU IRQ Wait" option in the SPU configuration, or else it will suffer from irritating pauses and stutters every few seconds (if you save this as a configuration for this game, you'll never have to worry about it again :p ). This little tip also applies to Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, which also gets the same issue, but to less of a degree than Klonoa does.

Thankyou once again, notaz. :)

Back