Peripherals

dagger

Still Fresh
this link: http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora says "The USB will be fully powered (500 milliamps). You'll be able to use anything that has drivers.". Is this really true? I will be able to connect this peripherals?
- keyboard
- mouse
- ethernet card
- printers
- webcam
- Pen Drive / external Hard disk
- regular Displays

Do you realize that this is the netbook of the future? Now I understand why Intel just said "Netbooks are ok, but only for one hour". They said that, because they understand that TI Beagle Board / OMAP SoC will win the market easy, Intel simply has no chance. I mean, netbooks made with Beagle Board (like Pandora) can be much smaller and deliver much longer battery life than they can ever deliver.

Gaming system? You must be kidding. Of course it will be awesome as a gaming system. But it will be so much more than that. I never liked laptops because they are just too big to be truly portable. But recently I was considering to buy a netbook because they are really portable. But now that I discovered Pandora exists, I am so sure this is what I allways needed: A truly portable computer, that you can carry in your pocket with you.

usbhost said:
- keyboard < yes
- mouse < yes
- ethernet card < yes, assuming there are linux drivers
- printers < yes, once someone ports cups
- webcam < yes, assuming there are linux drivers
- Pen Drive / external Hard disk < yes
- regular Displays < there isnt a vga port, so probably no

How about external USB video cards then?

http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Do_you_reall ... .2F_etc.3F
"We are aware that much of the general public will not need or appreciate Pandora's feature set."

I think that is extreme modesty. Most of the people haven't even heard about Pandora. I think the best thing would be to find some funds for producing more units, and sell them trough some retail chains, like Asus does with their eeePC. That will increase the sales a lot. Virtually no one heard about Pandora, just because it sells from online orders.
Just attach a cheap usb ethernet card and you can transform your Pandora into a powerfull network testing tool (like Fluke, JDSU Validator), using the right software. That would save about one thousand dollars.
A lot of people that buy netbooks and laptops are doing it just for:
- listening music
- watch movies
- play games
- read / write documents

And Pandora can do that. So a lot of buyers would prefere Pandora instead of much heavier and shorter battery life alternatives.

Who shall I beg for considering to produce in large volumes and sell trough retail chains? I am so sure that money can't be a problem. There should so many investors more than happy to put their money into this...

Craig did mention that on the day preorders went live, he had some major interest from VERY large resellers looking to buy large amounts of pandoras, but he couldn't afford to do a big enough run at that point.

Hopefully, once the first batch ships, it will show that OP are able to ship a real product, and they'll get enough investment to make a far larger batch.

Well usbhost writing documents on pandora woudnt be a good idea because you have to write with your tumbs :p i even wrote this post on my phone and writing goes pretty slow. but for gaming, reading and browsing the pandora is the ultimate portable media player/computer :p

I believe people will get nuts to get their hands on a Pandora. In short time the 16GB and 32 GB SD cards will be dirt cheap, with a flash memory that big, the hard disk will not be missed so much. So a lot of people will want to throw their netbooks and get a Pandora instead.
Chaosstorm said:
writing documents on pandora woudnt be a good idea because you have to write with your tumbs
not much worse than writing on a netbook, i think. Also you can add an usb keyboard. And when you go home or at work, it's very likely you'll want to conect a regular keyboard, mouse and monitor to it.

Back