PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

Yes, the Kickstarter was presented on Dingoonity a day before it went live for feedback. Everything here was said then (inc the KS rules bit, making the units with only 50% of funds etc etc). I actually suggested they hold of and run a crowdfuning to produce a prototype first before going all out in a later KS. But alas they decided to go ahead anyway. At least they have been honest in saying what they show is just hacked together parts from other devices.

It will be interesting. If it doesn't get massive negativity - and that's no where near a given, then expect the KS to reach it's goal and pretty much hit a lot if not all their stretch goals. After all, the device is pretty much most gamers dream device. They have 111 backers in 1.5 hours and have raised $30K of the 100k goal. Pretty obvious they will reach there goal on the first day assuming the hate doesn't kick in

P.S Looks like everyone went for the Hardcore unit and not the lite version. Sounds familiar .

I like how there is zero provision to pay their staff a salary over the duration of the project. I suppose they are all volunteering.

This whole story just makes me sad. A shitty 3D printed case with a monitor in it for a hidden tablet, a few rendered images and some dubbed guy in a video with horrible lighting seems to be enough to get $34k on Kickstarter.
Looking at what ED did before he felt confident enough to release the press kit is just not comparable.

Who else wants to bet on the PGS actually getting released? We all know it won't happen, so why not make claims about doing something ridiculous for if it somehow does?
I for one would try to get 1 point in desert bus.

I like how there is zero provision to pay their staff a salary over the duration of the project. I suppose they are all volunteering.
Please elaborate, I smell yet another story that makes me hate humanity.

At the bottom of the KS page it has the breakdown of where the funds are going. There is 5% to operational expenses . Nothing specific to salaries.. They have seven people in the team
(they told me on twitter) , the campaign goes for 3/4 of a year. It suggests they all are volunteering their time to be part of this company/project.

This whole story just makes me sad. A shitty 3D printed case with a monitor in it for a hidden tablet, a few rendered images and some dubbed guy in a video with horrible lighting seems to be enough to get $34k on Kickstarter.
Someone ought to make a Kickstarter parody site:
  • Everyone is welcome to post their most outrageous vaporware projects, so long as it "looks legit" ;)
  • Backers pledge "internets", "cookies", etc instead of real money xD

Who else wants to bet on the PGS actually getting released? We all know it won't happen, so why not make claims about doing something ridiculous for if it somehow does?
I for one would try to get 1 point in desert bus.
If they even bother to look into Linux support in a serious manner I will also get a point (ya gotta get home).
[doublepost=1467336001,1467335767][/doublepost]
  • Everyone is welcome to post their most outrageous vaporware projects, so long as it "looks legit" ;)
Nah, let people give em real money for the LOLs. It could turn out that the parody site become the legit crowdfunding site if people actually try to make their vaporware with the money they get.

Edit: This could be what is needed to make the Retro VGS happen. Also, anyone interested in the ICP2 (sorry, couldn't resist)?

I just got a reply about the wireless. I wasn't expecting a reply at all.
Hi! International GSM (2G\3G\LTE).
That doesn't tell me what networks it will actually work on other than it won't be Verizon.

I just got a reply about the wireless. I wasn't expecting a reply at all.

That doesn't tell me what networks it will actually work on other than it won't be Verizon.
They probably don't understand how it works in the US. They may not even be taking that into consideration, which means they could lose a bunch of customers.

92' "proto" relevant.
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/28/florida-man-sues-apple-1992-invention/
Apple-vs-Ross-design-drawing.jpg

If you look at the prototype pictures in the "about us" image you can see where the iPega controller cabling has been photoshopped out of the sides. This whole thing is such a sham.

At least they have been honest in saying what they show is just hacked together parts from other devices.
[...]
After all, the promised device is pretty much most gamers dream device.
ftfy

Why not do a kickstarter with a horse with a narwhal horn glued onto the forehead and promising genetically engineered unicorns that can fly and make rainbows?
It's exactly what is happening here.

I wont be the hero of the day for saying this, but i backed them, simply because i hope they can pull it off.
I want to use it for everything that wont run very well on the Pyra due missing arm/Unix port and or poorly optimisation of Unix builds of games.
That and Indie games that lack unix ports, i want to use the PGS as a phone too.
Everything that works well on the Pyra, will end up on the Pyra.

I already walk around with two gadgets, Pandora and Phone, in the near future i hope to be walking around with a Pyra + PGS10 instead.
Its a risk, hopefully itl work out.

in the near future i hope to be walking around with a Pyra + PGS10 instead.
Its a risk, hopefully itl work out.
That's what I would like too - except that I would like to have some kind of phone applications for Windows, as I do not have any interest in rebooting that thing every time I want to be reachable.

I don't believe it will work out, but I hope it will

I wont be the hero of the day for saying this, but i backed them, simply because i hope they can pull it off.
So did you back them for a unit, or at a lower tier? If you will be receiving one I would love to read your thoughts and experiences once you have it. It also interests me how well installing and using other OSs works (Linux and such).

Also, don't let the opinions of the rest of us influence your decisions or feelings. I am glad you are backing them, and that they are trying to make this thing. Even if it isn't exactly for me, it is a pretty good idea (and I would probably prefer this to the Win, even if it seems they are biting off way more than they can chew...many wouldn't even try).

That's what I would like too - except that I would like to have some kind of phone applications for Windows, as I do not have any interest in rebooting that thing every time I want to be reachable.

I don't believe it will work out, but I hope it will

Well, I've already said what I think about this project early on. So I'm not going to reiterate.

But to play along here, they do say that they will get call functionality working from the Windows side if they reach $400K. It's one of their stretch goals.

It really is almost my dream device, but everything smells fishy. No real prototype, unrealistic specs (too much stuff inside too little space), hype generating comunication without much to back it up, ... And the kickstarter user is fishy as well: It seems professional and whatnot, with a certain history after having backed 13 projects, ... I may be mistaken, but the user was created only recently, and looking at the backed projects IMO they have just backed random stuff, and out of those many are projects that end soon, so once those finish you would have to enter the project to see those were just quite recent projects and PGS doesn't actually have that long a history. There are also inconsistencies between what they have been posting on the forums and/or reddit and now, like for example stating that now THEY decided to do crowdfunding, and not the investors like before.

You can check yourselves, but it seems much of their campaign is designed to get them money by tricking you in some form or another. Let's see what the kickstarter updates bring, but things will have to change quite a bit for me to back it. Which is sad, because as I have stated, I find it to be almost perfect.

Back