Phoneme Gp2x Sdl V. 1.0.0

I have tried your version AND deleted my appdb, bin and lib folder just in case, then copied the fresh new folders from phoneME-GP2X-SDL-1.0.1.zip over to make sure i definitely was not using the old version.

Same problem. It freezes after choosing one option from music yes or no.
However, what i noticed was that now when i installed your version, the "this application is being run in the background" screen was stretched horizentally (so i had to turn my gp2x to read it) rather than vertical like with the other versions, including the 240x320 N95 one. Don't know what caused this. Still didn't get me into the game anyway...

edit: ERROR FOUND! Quite simple, probably too simple :rolleyes:
While most games use the KEYMAP_KEY_SOFT1 button i had this button set up on the Start key of my Gp2x.
However, this button miracously causes the Vampires Dawn game to freeze.
What you need to do is to set -5 as a value for your Start key, that is KEYMAP_KEY_SELECT ! This works and should not freeze the Gp2x! Game now loaded and is presenting me the menu, woohoo!
D'oh! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Thanks for your efforts zaxxon!

Wolfsclaw said:
What you need to do is to set -5 as a value for your Start key, that is KEYMAP_KEY_SELECT ! This works and should not freeze the Gp2x! Game now loaded and is presenting me the menu, woohoo!
D'oh! :rolleyes:
-zaxxon- said:
Configure joystick to UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT (no numeric key) and action button to SELECT.
:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I guess.... :p

However, found out that pressing buttons that should! do nothing, do actually something: freezing the game.
For instance, pressing the KEYMAP_KEY_LEFT button ingame makes the character go left like normal. You would expect it in the menu to do nothing, but it freezes the whole thing! same goes for all the other buttons: If it can not actually be used, it will freeze the game.
Maybe this can be fixed?

Also I'm trying to figure out the open-menu button ingame :p it says to press 7, but 7 won't work.... like it says 5 for enter while Select is actually Enter.

edit: figured it out: KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEA will pop up the game menu. Beware that it's most probably freezing the game if used in the save-load-options menu :rolleyes:

Wolfsclaw said:
Yeah, I guess.... :p

However, found out that pressing buttons that should! do nothing, do actually something: freezing the game.
For instance, pressing the KEYMAP_KEY_LEFT button ingame makes the character go left like normal. You would expect it in the menu to do nothing, but it freezes the whole thing! same goes for all the other buttons: If it can not actually be used, it will freeze the game.
Maybe this can be fixed?

Also I'm trying to figure out the open-menu button ingame :p it says to press 7, but 7 won't work.... like it says 5 for enter while Select is actually Enter.

edit: figured it out: KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEA will pop up the game menu. Beware that it's most probably freezing the game if used in the save-load-options menu :rolleyes:
This is a MIDlet problem... no phoneME problem. I can't fix.

Okay thanks anyway.
I've set all my keys now (if anyone needs them for vampires dawn, pm me) and i'm ready for some human hunting :p

Instead of rambling about what keys do/don't work, can someone please post a proper gpe with the right exports. I have tried lots of combinations and it still freezes up. TIA

BTW, the port is awesome. All other stuff works great. I just have to remember to unset reverse for every gpe for horizontal to work.

I have used U/D/L/R, SELECT, and GAME-A only and unset everything else and I can start a game, get into the menu (as long as I don't press any direction) and as soon as I press a direction in the menu I can see the timer stop. So, it definitely freezes any time I press U/D/L/R (NOT 8/2/4/6).

what are some of the best games that work well with this? What series phone games are most compatible with this? I think that part may have been posted with earlier release but post was changed.

the pmeselector seems to help a fair amount. got doomrpg up and running but couldn't enter numbers for special door entry.

any good zombie games for phones that work with this? something like the zombie flash games where you get upgrades and shoot at hordes of zombies.

this is a great emulator. just that what it covers is so wide it can take effort find right games and get them working.

jbrodack said:
what are some of the best games that work well with this? What series phone games are most compatible with this? I think that part may have been posted with earlier release but post was changed.
I found several mobile sites for nokia j2me games. What I noticed is that the games that work state they are j2me, sized 320x or 240x (176x will work, albeit kinda small), either N73 or N95 compatible, and do NOT use Nokia proprietary code. On the last note I had to install the SUN j2me kit to find out which games are specific with code. The Windows emulator will state in the debug window that it can't find code com.nokia.XXX.XXX and hang. Those are the games to avoid because they also will not work in phoneme. Other than that, I have already tested about ten games with success. Most notably Silent Hill, Pro Evolution Soccer, Crash of the Titans, Pirates of the Carribbean 2. Don't know of any zombie flash games.

thanks for the comprehensive answer on the type of games most compatible with this.

the zombie games I meant like some of the higher rated action games on zombiegames.net
I've been trying to find some way i could get a game like this on gp2x.

I should try Pro Evolution Soccer most seem to say thats good. I'm not big into soccer games but I do like the neo geo super sidekicks series.

that nokia custom code thing kinda sucks since no way to know until you try it in some way but obviously not this emu's fault.

I didn't even notice there was a pmeselector til this news posting. gives you 3 different default controls to try out and automatic install of games which is nice. The "runG" seems to work most often.

there was already tons of games we could play on our gp2xs now there's tons more thanks to this emu.

You should really try vampires dawn deceit of heretics:
1196813764_vddohscreen4240x320gz8.png

1196866353_1196791688_titl-2.jpg

it works splendid on the 320x240 screen but you have to turn your gp2x.

Has anybody already tried "Baldur's Gate" mobile version? BTW: I've just found a movie of "BG2" coverted on a mobile (beta probably). Is sth like that going to happen on GP2x?

Wolfsclaw said:
You should really try vampires dawn deceit of heretics
OK, am I the only one that can't get it to work?

export J2ME_GP2X_JOYU=-19 <-GAME L
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYL=-18 <-GAME D
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYD=-20 <-GAME R
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYR=-17 <-GAME U
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTA=-13 <-GAME A
export J2ME_GP2X_START=-5 <-SELECT
unset J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL=49
unset J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL=55
unset J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR=57
unset J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR=51
unset J2ME_GP2X_SELECT=-6
unset J2ME_GP2X_LEFT=-10
unset J2ME_GP2X_RIGHT=-11
unset J2ME_GP2X_BUTB=48
unset J2ME_GP2X_BUTX=-5
unset J2ME_GP2X_BUTY=-8
unset J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=35
unset J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=42
unset J2ME_GP2X_JOYC=-22

Any time I use a control (L/R/U/D) it will freeze. I can get a new game started as long as all I press is SELECT. Then, as I stand in the first room, GAME A shows me the stats. SELECT shows me the items, but any move key locks it up. I can see the timer stop. So what the heck am I doing wrong?

If you would have read the thread, you would know that pressing buttons that are not for use can (or will) freeze the game.
Use my .gpe file settings, it works fine if you are using the 240x320 screen (so that you have to turn your gp2x):
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYU=-3
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL=-3
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYL=-2
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL=-2
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYD=-4
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR=-4
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYR=-1
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR=-1
export J2ME_GP2X_START=-5
export J2ME_GP2X_SELECT=-13
export J2ME_GP2X_LEFT=-13
export J2ME_GP2X_RIGHT=-13
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTA=-2
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTB=-1
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTX=-4
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTY=-3
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=-5
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=-13
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYC=-5
export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=0
cd /mnt/sd/phoneME/bin/arm
./runMidlet 2
sync
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

You can control either with joystick or with the keys, while i prefer the keys.

have fun

I wish I could find more 320x240 games. mostly 240x320 which means you have to rotate. And it seems having a game rotated makes the rotation setting "stuck" on other games.

edit: i do know that using unset J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE in the gpe fixes the rotation being stuck but just mentioning that as a bug that is still there

does this port work with 3d games? I tried one racing game and graphics were really messed up

oh well though my keybinds were set for horizontal control I had a lot of fun playing gameloft's version of the oregon trail rotated in 240x320 res. classic game modernized in a nice way.

Has anyone played "Darkest Fear 2 Grim Oaks"? If so, could I please have the keymap to be able to see my inventory?
It's driving me nuts: I can't get either of the "soft keys" to work. HELP!!!

which version of pro evolution soccer are u using?

ive tried the 2008 and i get errors trying to install it

Maybe I give this interesting Programm a try. :)
Looks, like the Configuration is as complicated as in "DosBox". ^^" Can each game (controlls) configurated from the Emu itself (Frontend-based "push button for UP" etc...) or do we need always a external Editor? Are game-specific Configs included?
A Config/Menu System like in "Picodrive" would be a good reason to put this Emu directly onto my SD. .)

fusion power, yes its a little complicated at first

but keep in mind that you are using games that work on a cell phone, so when you have two or three different controls config files made, most probably you have all combinations possible already (its a cellphone, not a pc keyboard, limited different possibilities)

and you dont need to do any games specific config as i say before, they work on cellphones

so the game would install or dont, and it would start or dont, as simple as that

Wolfsclaw said:
If you would have read the thread, you would know that pressing buttons that are not for use can (or will) freeze the game.
I DID read the entire thread and it said to use U/D/L/R instead of numeric. I just happened to use the GAME U/D/L/R instead of the KEY U/D/L/R. Apparently there is a distinction.
So, yes I am working and heck, I hope there aren't too many midlets with this difficult of settings.
Thanks for your config.

Back