Phytium-based ARM PC

When i had issues whit the HDMI Out, i moved the Cable to different Ports on my TV until it worked, but strangly since i have the Debian installed, i ditnt got this issue anymore,
But another "issue" : sometimes the Computer dont recomend the TV Correct, i have a Screen of 720p normaly (was a small LCD TV whe bought once for the Camper), but somethimes its sets the resolution to something lower until i restart the Computer..

Might be i over read the point whit the "Prototyphe",
The Case looks professional, the Ports are Working, i just have to master the Software a little bit more..

Success. After 3 monitors, two keyboards (cherry did not working, the logitech was detected in uefi, both standard keyboards, no rgb) and two usb readers later, i can boot into debian 11.
Added kernel param for video setup and now my default hardware setup is working.
@sigterm Thanks for your hints.

After a few hours, the graphics card fan is now much quieter than before and it no longer rattles.

Strange effect when compiling Godot. The system stopps during compilation, had to switch off the system. After reboot, there is no entry in the message log. This happens two times now.

Thomas

Never had that kind of issue with my system. I build box86/box64 regularly. It's probably not as intensive as Godot probably, but that's strange. Some power saving routine that goes wrong maybe?

I completely rebuilt the debian kernel multiple times in the last few days (with -j8, so all 8 cores under full load for ~1 hour). No crashes, hangs or anything. I even managed to get the ethernet port working. Some of the missing upstream patches could be found on github, but they were incomplete/outdated and required some manual fixing. I sent them to @shouhuanxiaoji, in the hope they are of some use.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM. But be warned, currently you have to rebuild the debian kernel package with the patch applied. I'll see, whether the relevant modules can be built as out-of-tree modules with DKMS to make it easier to use. To fix the problem permanently, Phytium would need to upstream their patches. I have no clue whether or not that will happen.

EvilDragon just send out an Email whit the Password for Ubuntu Kilin .. , allthough i would recommand to get Debian 11 on, as its not that though, i made it two times now and its boots ^^
On Ubuntu Kilin there where quite a lot chinese Bookmarks on Firefox like Baido ..

Thanks to a lot of Answers in this Boards, i have mine Phytian now running whit BOX and Wine and AMD Driver (Hopefully), i think this evening i will load some of my needed software (thunderbird, VLC), its a short evening so no experiments whit Wine today..
I have now KDE and Mate as Window Manager, but i think i will not install more as they are 3 gb each..

The Cherry Keyboard runs from the point on when you have to Log in, but not in Grub.. i have my Logitheck Keyboard in my Drawer under the Desk, so i could acces Bios if this where needed..

Reactions: rSl
When i had issues whit the HDMI Out, i moved the Cable to different Ports on my TV until it worked, but strangly since i have the Debian installed, i ditnt got this issue anymore,
But another "issue" : sometimes the Computer dont recomend the TV Correct, i have a Screen of 720p normaly (was a small LCD TV whe bought once for the Camper), but somethimes its sets the resolution to something lower until i restart the Computer..

Might be i over read the point whit the "Prototyphe",
The Case looks professional, the Ports are Working, i just have to master the Software a little bit more..
The first time, I started with a normal HDMI cable and I got the Ubuntu Kylin login after a short time.
The next time (had to change the desk), I started with an DVI-HDMI cable and I never got the Ubuntu Kylin login. Screen stayed black.

EvilDragon just send out an Email whit the Password for Ubuntu Kilin .. , allthough i would recommand to get Debian 11 on, as its not that though, i made it two times now and its boots ^^
On Ubuntu Kilin there where quite a lot chinese Bookmarks on Firefox like Baido ..
For the password, I changed it (root and ubuntu's user passwords) after a boot with the Debian installer and the shell proposed during installation.

My first impression: hardware pretty good, but the power supply has to be changed for international users.

I was thinking on Saturday that it was the fault of the HDMI Cable, so i changed it to the hopefully better new HDMI Cable which was still in the Retail Box of my Switch OLED.. ^^ (now it works as i have Debian)..

Whit the Power Supply, i dont know, for now it works whit a Chinese to Europe Adapter because 220 to 230 Volt shouldnd be an Issue,
And when this Power Supply is electrical ok, i dont have any issues using it whit the Adapter..

So mybe a Power Supply whit Changable Power Plugs (These PC Plugs) and changable Volts, or just a Adapter when you sell to Europe..

As long as you dont make anything wrong in the Package Choice on Installation, its was quite fast to get Debian on..
Its just a bit tricky to get yourself on the Sudoer list, and the best advice is, when you want box 86 and wine to use the commands @ptitSeb wrote in the Box86 Thread, , but i wouldnd recommand to make the installation when you have an apointment not long too early:
when i got the Debian on the Computer on Sunday, its ditnt boot because i ditnt set the Boot Options right, so i was a bit pisst when i had to leave knowing the Computer ditnt work well on this point..

Tried another power supply, but during compilation process a clack/clack comes from system and it doesn't response any more. The lid is hot, can only touch for short time.

I think there is something wrong with the fans even both are active.

How long does your compilation job take? Maybe the current cooling solution is barely adequate for full load over a long time. Not all silicon is build the same and perhaps your D2000 cannot cope with heat as well as others.

Could you try again while the case is open and check whether the CPU heat sink gets exceptionally hot?

Case is now open, compilation time about 18 minutes on 6 kernels before the system stops, an the cpu is a litte warm, but not hot.

1645075032531.png

lm_sensors found sensors for nvme and gpu, nvme is around 41°, gpu stucks at 38°, only minimal changes during compilation, but no sensors for cpu.
1645074553390.png

Thomas

Last edited:
So it still crashes, even when the case is open? With enough airflow it should definitely not overheat. The SoC has an integrated temperature sensor, but the necessary modules (CONFIG_ARM_SCPI_PROTOCOL, CONFIG_SENSORS_ARM_SCPI) aren't enabled in the Debian kernel. Even if they were, they are missing a few patches to get their configuration from ACPI. If you still have the phytium kernel (from Kylin) you can use it with Debian too, to get a temperature reading. Maybe the heat sink is not correctly fitted on the SoC. You could remove the mainboard and take a look. Perhaps there is a visible gap/space.

Godot itself can be compiled (and used) on the system. I tried yesterday. Compile time is ~15m with all 8 cores.

Edit:

A question though. Did you by chance replace the SSD with another one? Your's has 3 temperature sensors, while the original (HS-SSD-E2000L) has only one.

# nvme list
Node SN Model Namespace Usage Format FW Rev
---------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------
/dev/nvme0n1 30057869073 HS-SSD-E2000L 512G 1 512,11 GB / 512,11 GB 512 B + 0 B U0914A0L

# sensors
nvme-pci-0400
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite: +25.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +82.8°C)
(crit = +84.8°C)

Last edited:
Now that my Phytian works at least for Office and Multimedia Purposes (Youtube 1080 p), what should i say was the Reason why i bought this ARM64 Computer and not an normal X86 PC?
At the Moment, my Reason was just "Out of Curiousity" ^^, but what are the Advantages of the ARM CPU over an X86 CPU? i can remember, ARM needs much less Electrical Power, but the Fans are sounding like a Swarm of Bees, or Yellow Jackets.., so i would assume this Computer needs a lot of Electrical Power for the Electric Engines of these Propellers..

Now that my Phytian works at least for Office and Multimedia Purposes (Youtube 1080 p), what should i say was the Reason why i bought this ARM64 Computer and not an normal X86 PC?
At the Moment, my Reason was just "Out of Curiousity" ^^, but what are the Advantages of the ARM CPU over an X86 CPU? i can remember, ARM needs much less Electrical Power, but the Fans are sounding like a Swarm of Bees, or Yellow Jackets.., so i would assume this Computer needs a lot of Electrical Power for the Electric Engines of these Propellers..
Well, the powerblock is 60W, entry-level desktop PC have 300W power supply, minimum. So still low power, even if noisy...

The idle power usage (20W total, ~3-4W GPU, 1.5W Fans, so ~15W for SoC + MB) is indeed rather high since the D2000s FTC663 cores do not seem to have any form of dynamic clocking capabilities. They always run at full speed (2.3GHz).

Edit:
Well I stand corrected on this point. It *does* have dynamic clocking, with the phytium kernel. Missing patches... But I can't really measure big decrease in idle power usage. It just slows down massively.

But yeah, it is much more efficient than some old desktop with the same/less CPU performance.

Last edited:
So it still crashes, even when the case is open?
Yes, htop shows 20:05 minutes, compilation was only 18 minutes.

And yes, replaced with a Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVME, with the original system as a backup in case I did something wrong.

I'll swap it back to see if it's related. I also ordered an infrared temperature pistol, but it won't arrive until Monday.

Thomas

Back