1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

PICO-8

Discussion in 'Game creation kits' started by hitbyambulance, May 1, 2016.

1. hitbyambulance

hitbyambulance Active Member

the PICO-8 is a really fun SDK - i got one of our company's founders interested and developing for it solely because of that. it's quite polished and feels *right* - i don't find the asking price 'absurd' (especially when you can get it with the Voxatron engine for $20).

alxm likes this.
  2. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

PICO-8 looks very nice. I found the price a little bit too high for my taste, but I can understand it. For those that have the RPi version and want to try it on the Pandora using Hardfloat compatibility layer, I'll push the Pandora SDL2 verison compiled to hardfloat in the Hardfloat thread...

3. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

@ptitSeb I finally got to test it with your armhf sdl2 binary. The engine now starts, I can hear the jingle aswell but sadly the screen freezes instead of showing anything. Might be a driver issue or something like that, so I'll keep trying some more.

4. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

@xnopasaranx : good news (well, half-good news at least).
    Did you tried bith with libGL (so using LIBGL_FB=1) and/or with GLESv2 (so using SDL_VIDEO_GLES2=1 SDL_VIDEO_GL_DRIVER=libGLESv2.so)?

ingoreis likes this.
  5. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

@ptitSeb yeah I tried it without LIBGL_FB=1 before, now exporting that as well, but still no difference :(
    the engine seems to start, the screen flashes twice but then freezes seemingly, while the pico8 boot sound plays. it doesn't seem to accept any keyboard input afterwards. I have to reset the pandora and reboot. I remembered that it can't be a driver issue, as the driver has to be 4.10 to support armhf. any other ideas or suggestions what I could try? sooooo close.

6. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

@xnopasaranx : pico8 is the RPi build I guess, so it probably want to use a GLES2 context, so don't use libGL but the 2 other export.
    Can you paste the log output here also?

7. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

sorry if I wasn't clear, I tried to run it with the gles2 related exports only first and that didn't work sadly. I need to set it up for logging I guess. I'll have a look what I can find.

8. thuha163

thuha163 Newbie

Awesome! There are some nice games out for the PICO-8

9. Ian J

Ian J Advanced Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    xnopasaranx, jeeks and iprice like this.
  10. hitbyambulance

11. Stouffa

Stouffa Member

12. Ian J

Ian J Advanced Member

13. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

impressive

14. jontheramer2

jontheramer2 Member

Will the original PICO-8 work on the Pyra? I have the PocketCHIP and I must say it's addictive working on it for little games. It's very complete and works smoothly.

15. hitbyambulance

16. 333charles333

333charles333 Newbie

How on earth does one get to the sprite editor - code editor and so forth in Picolove ???

Because esc does not work as it does in Pico-8

(lua + love is pain enough to install - now Picolove seems to run in a way of its own lol - i just give up unless someone has the answer?)

17. 333charles333

333charles333 Newbie

If your really broke or have your reasons you can pay zero and run pico-8 on a raspberry pi emulator for free.

(My C.H.I.P. recently broke like everyone's does, they deleted my post about it being bricked on the nextbigthing/chip forum, which didn't help me and leads me to assume they deleted most posts about there $9 computer breaking in a week - which just sucks. After having Pico-8 already on CHIP i can't bring my self to pay for it after paying for a system it was on that broke in 1 week and being censored about it on the forum / treated like a bitch, i actually spent over $100 on CHIP if you include all the accessories i no longer need such as bt keyboard, monitor, UART, pins, HDMI add on circuit board, composite, mouse, power adapter, postage from the USA for chip and so forth. If they'd of not deleted my polite post about my CHIP fucking breaking in 1 week I'd not even be bitter even if it can't be fixed. BUT THEY JUST HAD TO BE CUNTS AND NOW I'M BUTHURT).

18. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

picolove is not PICO8. There is only the runtime here, not the editor in picolove.

19. Chung Nguyen

Chung Nguyen Newbie

I'm guessing there is nothing I can do here.

20. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member