Pidgin crashes in HF5

kc187

Still Fresh
Hey guys.

Flashed to HF5 and everything is running great, except for pidgin.

I downloaded the PND from the wiki, and it constantly zombies out on me and I have to kill the process.

Is there a fix for this, or am I going to have to downgrade to HF4?

Thanks in advance.

There is a confirmed memory leak in pidgin, the newest one from sebt doesn't have it as bad, there's not much we can do.

We need an updated glib and a few other things to get a current version of empathy to be a functional drop in replacement, which probably wont happen soon :(

There is a confirmed memory leak in pidgin, the newest one from sebt doesn't have it as bad, there's not much we can do.

We need an updated glib and a few other things to get a current version of empathy to be a functional drop in replacement, which probably wont happen soon :(

Ok, thanks for the info.

Is there an alternative so I can use MSN messenger, or any suggestions?

I had it running acceptably in HF4, so maybe I will downgrade. I use my Pandora a lot for web-based comms, so that is kind of important to me.

Thanks again.

Someone should request that OPT put Pidgin back in the firmware, exactly like it was. It worked fine then. Maybe there's a manual way to put it back?

But Pidgin worked fine in HF4. And on my laptop with Fedora 13.

I have always had random freezes with Pidgin, with HF4 (built in) and HF5 (.pnd) on my Pandora. I suppose I have just accepted it as one of the little quirks you learn to live with!

If it helps find the bug, I use a yahoo IM account, as do my contacts. The freezes happen probably about 2-3 times per hour, and I have to shut down Pidgin altogether and restart it. I cannot give focus to the message window, and the mouse pointer disappears when over it. The freezes seem to occur most often when I use backspace, or on pressing enter to send a message (the recipient gets the message, but my message window does not update). The freezes do not seem to be any less or more frequent since HF5.

Hope this helps.

Back