Playing Media

TimmyB

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi guys,

Got my Pandora here in Tasmania last week (number 272) and am having a ball so far.

However, I was surprised after getting my Pandora that there was no media player on the applications menu. "No worries" I said, "I will go and download the codec pack and Exaile from the apps site..."
So I did that, ran hotfix 2, the codecs PND and then ran Exaile. I got the splash screen to come up for a second, but then it disappeared and nothing happened.

So, Exaile doesn't work for me no matter where I try to run it from, but I also notice people talking about mplayer, which I am assuming is hiding somewhere on the NAND, but being a linux noob is hindering me here. (Don't worry, I plan on contributing to the community in other ways to justify my position in the queue)

So, seeing as media playing should pretty much be a core feature of the Pandora (and will hopefully be included in a future version of the firmware), it shouldn't be a hard thing to do should it?

If someone is able to tell me what I need to play music\movies on my Pandora then that would be appreciated (even if its just a link to another thread).

Cheers everyone!

PS. This is the most i've ever typed on my Pandora so far. :)

GNOME Mplayer is listed under the 'Multimedia' menu in XFCE. There is no link for it in minimenu yet. I'll try and make a PND for that. You need to download and run the community codec pack from apps.open-pandora.org to be able to play things like mp3s first, though.

If Codec Pack and Hotfix 2 is correctly installed, Exaile should run.

You can post any error messages from /tmp/pndrunexaile.pickle.out (or similar name, I forgot) to help us tell you what's wrong here.

We can't include MediaPlayers with the Pandora as default, as it would cost tons of license fees.

sbt said:
Wow - Tasmania...

Is this the furthest a Pandora has travelled so far?

unless one has gone to New Zealand or some unknown island in the southern ocean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacquelyn thought that there may be a Pandora fan in the Antarctic that hadn't ordered yet. ;) Other than that, I'm in North Tasmania and I have a feeling there may be someone in the South that's ordered one.

Hotfix 2 gave me a heap if ticks so I can assume that it installed correctly. Don't know about the codec pack, but I guess I could install it again to check...

Anyway, here's the output ED requested:

Code:
INFO    : Loading Exaile 0.3.1.0...
INFO    : Loading settings...
INFO    : Setting up deferred idle manager function...
INFO    : Loading plugins...
INFO    : Loading collection...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 54, in <module>
    main()
  File "./lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 51, in main
    exaile = main.Exaile()
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 84, in __init__
    self.__init()
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 146, in __init
    location=os.path.join(xdg.get_data_dirs()[0], 'music.db'))
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/xl/collection.py", line 98, in __init__
    pickle_attrs=pickle_attrs)
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/xl/trax/trackdb.py", line 95, in __init__
    self.load_from_location()
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/xl/common.py", line 107, in wrapper
    return func(self, *__args, **__kw)
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/xl/trax/trackdb.py", line 204, in load_from_location
    pdata.close()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/shelve.py", line 143, in close
    self.sync()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/shelve.py", line 164, in sync
    self.dict.sync()
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/dumbdbm.py", line 111, in _commit
    self._chmod(self._dirfile)
  File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/dumbdbm.py", line 222, in _chmod
    self._os.chmod(file, self._mode)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: './config/.local/share/exaile/music.db.dir'
Exception OSError: (1, 'Operation not permitted', './config/.local/share/exaile/music.db.dir') in <bound method DbfilenameShelf.__del__ of {}> ignored
Exception OSError: (1, 'Operation not permitted', './config/.local/share/exaile/music.db.dir') in <bound method _Database.close of {}> ignored
app exited
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle': Device or resource busy
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle': Is a directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/exaile.pickle/.wh..wh.plnk': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/exaile.pickle/.wh..wh..tmp': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/exaile.pickle/': Directory not empty
cleanup done

There's a folder on your SD card to which Exaile doesn't have write access. Or some such; I don't know in which directory Exaile is started, but it has trouble writing to that directory at least.

dflemstr said:
There's a folder on your SD card to which Exaile doesn't have write access. Or some such; I don't know in which directory Exaile is started, but it has trouble writing to that directory at least.
I tried removing read-only from everything in the pandora directory of my SD card (on XP), and deleted the exaile.pickle directory in appdata. Still no luck.

TimmyB said:
dflemstr said:
I tried removing read-only from everything in the pandora directory of my SD card (on XP), and deleted the exaile.pickle directory in appdata. Still no luck.
Do you use NTFS or something? Because FAT32 doesn't have access flags (like 'read-only' etc) so you wouldn't be able to change those if you had a card with FAT32. Or it might just be that Windows XP does something strange...

Anyways; it seems that the folder with access problems is located in "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle", and the thing is that this folder is used for union mounts, which is the reason why I was confused before: all of the writes to that folder are redirected to somewhere else, and I don't know where.

Something you can try, at least: try copying files to your SD card (e.g. dump some random stuff in the ".../pandora/appdata" directory) and if it succeeds, you know that the issue isn't with your SD card.

dflemstr said:
Something you can try, at least: try copying files to your SD card (e.g. dump some random stuff in the ".../pandora/appdata" directory) and if it succeeds, you know that the issue isn't with your SD card.
I managed to copy a file from my home directory on the NAND to appdata on the SD card. Too bad. ;)

It's always a good idea to format SD Cards with the Panasonic Formatter(see link in Tweaks Thread).

dflemstr said:
Do you use NTFS or something? Because FAT32 doesn't have access flags (like 'read-only' etc) so you wouldn't be able to change those if you had a card with FAT32. Or it might just be that Windows XP does something strange...

FAT32 Does have read-only flags. It doesn't have user/group/admin permissions, but it certainly has the read-only flag.

SOLVED! Exaile needs to be on the same SD card as the one used for the codec update.

Pretty obvious now but not at the time as I thought the codecs were all being put on the NAND.

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Um, really? That doesn't sound... right.

I thought the codecs were installed to NAND? In fact I'm almost certain they are. Yes. I just played an MP3 with MPlayer from my network with no SD cards inserted at all, so the codes are on the NAND.

So, glad you have it sorted, but that's not the reason!

SomeGuy99 said:
Pleng said:
So, glad you have it sorted, but that's not the reason!

+1
+1

I think it has to do something with the filesystem of the card from which running exaile failed vs this other one from which it runs.
File "/mnt/utmp/exaile.pickle/lib/exaile/dumbdbm.py", line 222, in _chmod
self._os.chmod(file, self._mode)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: './config/.local/share/exaile/music.db.dir'
This is weird.
Also, chmod (i think atleast) wont ever work (100% atleast) on a FAT filesystem, and i dont understand why exaile is trying to do so (change the read/write/execute bits on its music database). Whatever. I want my pandora ASAP to really debug this stuff :p.

Oh bugger, so it's still a mystery? Probably more likely to be me moving Exaile to a different SD card then? My new one was an SDCH, Panasonic formatted, brand new one. The old one that wasn't working with Exaile was a micro-SD in an SD adapter.

Hmm, after typing that I've realised that maybe that was information worth giving to begin with, although I still don't know if that helps.

^ Exaile runs from SD so it can't work _without_ SD. Mplayer location ist described in post #2.

Back