Please, Don't Forget The Smaller Ones [nes - Pcengine]

wrdaniel

Still Fresh
hi all,

atm we have some really good snes and genesis / megacd emulators but what about PcEngine and NES. both systems have many awesome games but the emulation isnt the best. hu6820 and gp2xengine are "ok" but by far not as good as the snes/genesis emus. and for the NES i use gpfce and it is ... sorry :)

just want to say, thanks for the work on all emulators and the time spent. maybe someone has the skill and time to look for those really great systems.

wrdaniel

wrdaniel posted on Mar 21 2007 at 02:21 PM said:
hi all at

atm we have some really good snes and genesis / megacd emulators but what about PcEngine and NES. both systems have many awesome games but the emulation isnt the best. hu6820 and gp2xengine are "ok" but by far not as good as the snes/genesis emus. and for the NES i use gpfce and it is ... sorry :)

just want to say, thanks for the work on all emulators and the time spent. maybe someone has the skill and time to look for those really great systems.

wrdaniel

NES and PC-Engine are a long saga here. It just seems no one is interested in perfecting them for some reason. GP2XEngine I think it is called is the most accurate and has the best sound but it is slow. You will need to overclock as high as you can to get decent performance. Unfortunately if you can "only" OC to 240 MHz it is still rather "frameskippy".

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 06:08 PM said:
NES and PC-Engine are a long saga here. It just seems no one is interested in perfecting them for some reason. ...

so whats the problem with those systems? as i dont have a plan about programming and emulators i would say it should be easier to emulate the system cause they have slower cpus and should be less complex. is it less fun to work on those "easy" emulators, is it cause there are no competitors?

i cant find anything wrong with the nes and pc-engine emulators we all ready have, and i dont overclock or anything just load and play...

GPFCE is really unstable for me with overclock, which unfortunately IS necessary for some titles, though it certainly shouldn't be and the interface is some kind of awful. I haven't had any experience with PCE so... nothing to say there.

GPFCE needs a small overclock (+20MHz) for a small number of games.Apart from that, it's not Dpad friendly since it uses the stick click for save/load and exit... it definitely could do with being faster :)

fatdad posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:16 PM said:
i cant find anything wrong with the nes and pc-engine emulators we all ready have, and i dont overclock or anything just load and play...

Then you must play without sound, which many of us don't do. The sound is awful on 2 of the emus and on the one where it is good it runs at like FS 2-3 at 240 MHz, and looks quite choppy.

fatdad posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:16 PM said:
The problems with the two TurboGrafx emu's have been enumerated a number of times, but I'll repeat them anyway in the hope of tweaking some clever programmer-type's interest:

HU6820 - the sound is just an appalling mess, and the TurboCD support is very, very weak...

GP2XEngine - good (but far from perfect) TurboCD support, and good sound, but there's a "disappearing sprites" issue that haunts many good games (Splatterhouse, Valis III, Darius II and Gate of Thunder are some examples) and the TurboCD support doesn't include such classic games Y's Books I & II... It also needs to be overclocked to run the better games well (you MUST overclock to atleast 233 to play Devil's Crush or DraculaX, for instance)

As I've said before, there's probably a single excellent emulator between them, but Turbografx/PC Engine emulation is definitely not "there" yet on the GP2X. I live in hope that Squidge will pick up his SquidgeNgine again some day... :)

BTW, in a previous thread about TurboGrafx emulation, Ringo suggested that the GP32 has a better TurboGrafx emu than the GP2X - is that true? Might be reason enough for me to invest in a GP32 if it is...

Little John and GPEngine are the GP32 emulators most likely in question. Both are excellent pieces of software.

(Personally I'd love to see the fabled multi-player version of GPEngine. Does anyone have it? I have two GP32s and two RF-Link devices that I'd love to try with it.)

There are other seemingly "better" GP32 emulators too. Frodo (C64) seems to have a wider range of options including a very useful control re-mapping function. I've always liked the simplicity and efficiency of DrSMS (Sega Master System). I could run DrSMS @ 66Mhz for all games I was interested in at full 60FPS speed and sound!

Spout was also "better" on the GP32. I think the GP32's stick is particularly accurate. And the game is clocked at an amazingly low 22Mhz. You could probably play it for 12+ hours straight on a set of batteries!

There are probably others too including the Gameboy Color emulator which I haven't used recently.

I still prefer to use my GP32 for these emulators/games.

slaanesh posted on Mar 22 2007 at 04:18 AM said:
Frodo (C64) seems to have a wider range of options including a very useful control re-mapping function.

As does the latest GP2X version :)

BTW, in a previous thread about TurboGrafx emulation, Ringo suggested that the GP32 has a better TurboGrafx emu than the GP2X - is that true?

It was excellent indeed, but had no saving or CD support.

jimid2 posted on Mar 22 2007 at 01:34 AM said:
GP2XEngine - good (but far from perfect) TurboCD support, and good sound, but there's a "disappearing sprites" issue that haunts many good games (Splatterhouse, Valis III, Darius II and Gate of Thunder are some examples) and the TurboCD support doesn't include such classic games Y's Books I & II... It also needs to be overclocked to run the better games well (you MUST overclock to atleast 233 to play Devil's Crush or DraculaX, for instance)

I have been getting poor framerates in Devils Crush with GP2XEngine at 240 MHz. The scrolling is choppy like it is skipping frames. Do you get that too? or maybe you just don't notice?

Yes the Gp32 has a better TG emu. It only faults are that it is only full speed at FS1, it uses 8-bit color (supposedly some shades are missing), Blazing Lazers is unplayable due to graphics glitches after the first boss, and there are no saves. It still blows away what we have on the Gp2X as far as TG16 unfortunatly. I would use it more but the screen has such faded color and is kind of dim compared to the GP2X.

DaveC posted on Mar 22 2007 at 05:56 AM said:
I have been getting poor framerates in Devils Crush with GP2XEngine at 240 MHz. The scrolling is choppy like it is skipping frames. Do you get that too? or maybe you just don't notice?
To tell the truth Dave, I jack up GP2XEngine to 250MHz reflexively now for everything... I just remembered that Devil's Crush was "unplayable" to me when I first tried it at default clock settings and that DraculaX needed to be jacked up to something around the 233-240 range before I thought it was playable... I will say that I find Devil's Crush very playable at 250 - I haven't really noticed any choppiness, though that certainly doesn't mean there isn't any there from time to time - I just haven't found it annoying to the point where it messes up my game... Using the stick for the left flippers, however, is a bit of a drag...

Anyway, I love having PC Engine Emulation even as it currently stands, but I'm glad I've got so many sets of NiMHs :lol:

jimid2 posted on Mar 22 2007 at 12:56 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 22 2007 at 05:56 AM said:
To tell the truth Dave, I jack up GP2XEngine to 250MHz reflexively now for everything... I just remembered that Devil's Crush was "unplayable" to me when I first tried it at default clock settings and that DraculaX needed to be jacked up to something around the 233-240 range before I thought it was playable... I will say that I find Devil's Crush very playable at 250 - I haven't really noticed any choppiness, though that certainly doesn't mean there isn't any there from time to time - I just haven't found it annoying to the point where it messes up my game... Using the stick for the left flippers, however, is a bit of a drag...

Anyway, I love having PC Engine Emulation even as it currently stands, but I'm glad I've got so many sets of NiMHs :lol:

Yeah, I can only OC to 240 MHz so for me there is still no good PC-Engine emu. GP2X Engine is too choppy at that speed. I would think it could be full speed at 200 MHz truthfully. I mean CPS2 is pretty much full speed at only 200-220 MHz and that is WAY more powerful than a TG16.

DaveC posted on Mar 22 2007 at 05:09 PM said:
Yeah, I can only OC to 240 MHz so for me there is still no good PC-Engine emu. GP2X Engine is too choppy at that speed. I would think it could be full speed at 200 MHz truthfully. I mean CPS2 is pretty much full speed at only 200-220 MHz and that is WAY more powerful than a TG16.
I'm sure you're right about that - it's really too bad that GP2XEngine was left in mid development, because I bet with a little performance tweaking and some minor adjustments it would have been one of the very best emu's on the system...

Back