Please help this poor newb with PCSX ReARMed .

hm that statement is a bit unclear. What did you do before getting that message? If you tried typing one of the commands that i posted, then be sure to type them correctly. For example there is always a space between "ls" and the next "-".

So:

It's "ls -l", not "ls-l".

It's "ls --color", not "ls--color".

To write the "-" you have to press "fn"+"d". Not "fn"+"y".
Oh woops ... Let me try it

This is kinda embarrassing ... Please don't mock : I think I forgot to download the bios ... Where do I get it ?

^^ where do I rip it from on the cd then ? Is there any rules against that ? I actually do own a copy of metal slug x

Ok , I got the bios put it under the correct folder and ... didn't work . Probably corrupted . So I put in the the trash then deleted it out of the trash . The trash icon still shows having something in it yet when I click on it there's nothing there . Please tell me I have not accidentally declared war on the NAND . On a much more positive note I got the bios ( the one you People ( males , female , other ) recommended ) to show up in blue .

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to hold SHIFT when you tap 'delete' in the menu for a file to be actually removed, otherwise it gets put in the trash, taking up memory. To empty the trash just call up the file manager (icon on the lower left beside the Pandora icon) tap the trash can symbol in the top left corner, then bring down the 'File' menu and there's an option - "Empty Trash".

Before you delete any Bios files though, define "not working". When you use the options menu in Pcsxrearmed to change from HLE to your Bios, what is happening that suggests it isn't working? Is it just that a game you expected to run doesn't? Rule out the Bios being at fault first -

Once you have selected a Bios instead of HLE, you can 'test' the Bios file by choosing the "Run Bios" option (I think it's under 'extras') - When you run a Bios file you should see the original PSX startup sequence, and the menu screen that the Playstation used to have when you started it up with no disc inserted. If that all works, you can assume the file is ok, just quit that and then try a game .

Was this a file called scph1001.bin ? Once you had selected it, did you remember to save global configuration (otherwise it will return to HLE next time you launch the emulator)?

If you are trying to launch a game for which you previously saved a configuration (for that game) it might have been saved with HLE enabled, so you'd want to re-do any like that.

Ok , the bio file works ( yay !) and the game is metal slug x which I picked for several reasons . 1 it doesn't take up a huge amount of space . 2 it's download err ... ripping time wouldn't take long due my having dialup err - a faulty DVD drive . 3 I do actually own a physical copy .

So if your Bios is OK but the game isn't working (is it?) then either the game requires specific settings to work (very rare) or is an incompatible or corrupt file. Maybe if someone else has that game that can say if it's one that has any issues.

Just so anyone looking has all the info they might need, what type of file is the game you're trying to run? Is it a pair of files with a .bin & .cue extension, or en eboot, iso or other? It's not still Rar-ed or zipped?

I got it from a place that classified it under isos . Of course it was a general rom place . Oh and somewhere it has 7z .

7z is and packed archive. Just like rar, zip, .tar.bz2 or many, many others. If you stumble across files with such an ending, then in future remember to unpack them first. Only in a few cases applications can handle packed data directly. So for some of these packed files, you can use Start->Accessories->Squeeze to unpack the data. I think (or hope) that Squeeze is installed by default, but I am not sure if it can handle 7z-files.

If not then you have to use other methods. For example you can go to http://www.7-zip.org/, download the program to your Windows-PC (I assume you are using Windows), unpack the archive with it and copy the unpacked files to your SDcard. The program from that page will NOT run on your Pandora.

If you afterwards still got problems running the game, then be sure to mention all related files and their file-extensions (the last part after the . ) that you tried to open with PCSXRearmed.

Yup, everything Lomaxx said.

An 'iso' file will typically have the extension ".iso".

(The "extension" is the last word/ letters after the final . in a filename)

A .7z file is (just like a .rar, .zip file etc) a compressed archive that has to be unpacked, in this case by the 7z utility.

On your PC, create a folder with an appropriate name like "Metal Slug X", copy the 7z file into that and extract (aka unpack) it in there (if successful, delete the 7z file, it's no longer needed)..

You might already have suitable tools on the PC, if you rght click on the 7z file, see if an option like "extract here" or "unzip" appears in the list. If not, you'll need to install the 7z application to be able to unpack the file, as per the 7z link in Lomaxx's post.

When you've got it unpacked, just copy the whole Metal Slug X folder onto your Pandora SD card, not into the pcsx_rearmed folder but anywhere you want to keep more roms (ideally create a folder for the purpose in the root of the card perhaps). You can find the file from within PcsxRearmed, and it will remember where you last loaded a game from so it will always start from there when you go looking again

As Lomaxx says, for future reference - you can't run archived files (zips, rars, tars etc), you need to extract them first, they are just archived like that to make them smaller and to contain multiple files in a single one, more convenient for downloading.

Compatible game files will have extensions such as .bin/.cue (pair of files), .iso and so on, others use eboot, img and more - many of the previous Pcsx threads cover file types.

I'll add my tiny 2 cent here then, if after you have unpacked the archive, one of the files inside ends with ".ecm", you'll need to further extract that with a tool like unecm, to create the final runnable image (convoluted I know) ;)

Thanks everyone ! I'll try it after school tomorrow ! Why not now ? It's 10:29 PM !!

How long does boot up take when it says " booting up ... " in the bottom right ?

Should only take a few seconds! Same as a real PS1...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Back