Pnds On Sdc But Won't Run

MrMarkWatson

Still Fresh
So I've got hotfix1.pnd and codecpack.pnd on a SDC card, in a folder called menu in a folder called pandora at the top level of the SDC

Q1 : is this folder structure (I'm a windows person) the same as /pandora/menu as is required, or is their a subtle difference?
Q2 : whilst they're showing up as exe files when you click them, I can't get them to run, and they aren't showing up on the menu

Presumably something obvious I'm missing!

Mark

Look out for the casing of the names, windows is case insensitive, linux is.

Did you "Safely remove" your SD card from windows, linux will refuse to mount it if you didn't do it

that's all i can think about.

Yannick said:

Did you "Safely remove" your SD card from windows, linux will refuse to mount it if you didn't do it

putting them into /desktop works though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Which interface are you using? (Is it the Xfce desktop, or perhaps Minimenu instead?)

EDIT: Never mind, pardon me. I'm being dim. Sorry!

MrMarkWatson said:
Yannick said:

putting them into /desktop works though...

but i think then it will be saved on the NAND...

i can´t start any pnd too. they are stored on the sd card and i´m sure that i safely removed it from windows.

when i try to move a pnd to desktop, there´s a prompt which says:
failed to add new shortcut
the path "/media/mmcblk0p1/hotfix1.pnd" does not refer to a directory

i can only move it to my home folder but that makes no difference. it doesn´t react when i want to execute it. :(

i also can´t unmount the sd card:
unable to unmount "sd/mmc drive": cannot open /media/.hal-mtab

ah sorry i´ve forgotten the foldore structure:

pandora/menu

or

pandora/desktop

ZoxFox said:

i can only move it to my home folder but that makes no difference. it doesn´t react when i want to execute it. :(
You need to create a folder on your SD Card called pandora, and inside that, four more, called appdata, apps, desktop, and menu. You need to put your PNDs into any of the last three - for example, in Xfce, "desktop" puts them on the desktop, "menu" puts them in the menu, and "apps" puts them in both locations. :) They should work, after that.

i also can´t unmount the sd card:
unable to unmount "sd/mmc drive": cannot open /media/.hal-mtab

o_O
I get that, too, but it doesn't seem to get upset if I wait a while and simply eject the card from the unit later. (And, more importantly, it hasn't affected any of my cards - almost all of which are formatted as ext2.)

Prometheus said:
ZoxFox said:

You need to create a folder on your SD Card called pandora, and inside that, four more, called appdata, apps, desktop, and menu. You need to put your PNDs into any of the last three - for example, in Xfce, "desktop" puts them on the desktop, "menu" puts them in the menu, and "apps" puts them in both locations. :) They should work, after that.

yeah i edited my recent post i´d recognized my mistake but nevertheless thx a lot :)

btw.:
appdata --> for datafiles of quake3 for example?
apps --> roms for the emulators?

"apps" simply puts PNDs in the menu and on the desktop. As for "appdata", sometimes stuff needs to go there, and sometimes it doesn't - this varies per app, so it's something there's not one solid answer to.

Not being able to unmount is a bug. ED posted it on the German boards and maybe here too, dunno.

If there were a feature request forum where non-developers could ask developers for improvements, I would ask for a PND file to be openable from anywhere, whatever the folder, and if it's not already in /pandora/menu, pandora/desktop, pandora/box or whatever you got, then it asks where you want it.

Duh - developer's corner...

Back