Pocketsnes 6.4.3

shinra said:
Megatog615 said:
Then it looks like a completely different game. What's the point?
well you can play it, see it as an efect quantity of an ordinary pc game; you want more efects? ok but it'll cost you, just like a pc game.

Edit: yes i turn on all except ignore layers that includes objects layer, also I turned on tranparencies what i have is that the rain efects and the blue gloom efect of the begining are not there and similar efects also, it's like if the layer that uses tranparency is gone, still other efects like the eye beam (when you obtain the morph ball) reduces the fps to the values you metion (tranparencies on). in my case i'm not bothered of not playing the game with all the efects it's enough to play it on the go :)

try turning off add/sub also and turning off tranparencies

If you've played the whole SUPER METROID Game onto the GP2X you will know, that disabling layers isn't recommended for this game. Super Metroid needs some Layer Effects. For Example you have to see where water or Lava is because you have trouble with this until you have the right Suits. Disabling Layers makes Lava invisible - BAD thing, belive me. ENABLING Layers without Transparencies makes Water "Solid" and You don't see anything. Always switching through layers is not that great for gameplay. Better overclock the GP2X and then enjoy the Game with all effects... (and still only around 20FPS :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
yep you're right,I know the water and lava stages needs to be transparent or not to be there if you want more speed so you'll need to turn on/off the hacks very often depending, I just forgot it uses lots of tranparencies because there was a lot of years since i finish it :p

Please indulge me this question, but it's something I've wondered when playing with SNES emulation on the GP2X.

As a CPU-saver, why not 'dither' transparent layers instead of calculating the transparency? In other words, do a 'Sega Saturn' to the normal 'Playstation' :D

I think it'd be worth it for the battery life increase, not to mention the fact that my particular :gp2x can't clock any higher than 240, and even then it sometimes crashes.

Retroid said:
Please indulge me this question, but it's something I've wondered when playing with SNES emulation on the GP2X.

As a CPU-saver, why not 'dither' transparent layers instead of calculating the transparency? In other words, do a 'Sega Saturn' to the normal 'Playstation' :D

I think it'd be worth it for the battery life increase, not to mention the fact that my particular :gp2x can't clock any higher than 240, and even then it sometimes crashes.
Well, SquidgeSNES has something like that, except it just omits every next vertical line. But in my opinion it is worse than with transparencies off. It makes some things that aren't transparent "faux-transparent" and trust me, it is not a pretty sight! :(

Metalwario64 said:
Well, SquidgeSNES has something like that, except it just omits every next vertical line. But in my opinion it is worse than with transparencies off. It makes some things that aren't transparent "faux-transparent" and trust me, it is not a pretty sight! :(

Agreed it wasn't pretty in SquideSNES but it *did* work in the respect that you could see what it was trying to do and didn't kick the CPU too much. I'd just like to see a variant of the idea fiddled with for those of us who can't overclock our machines too much :)

Hey, I really enjoy this Emulator, hours have been spent playing all the classics from when I was A kid. I can play a lot of SNES game on this.

Anyhow, I've been having A problem. Just a few days ago I updated my firmware from 3.0 to 4.0. In order to have it appear as soon as I select the Game section, I moved it into the "game" folder from sd:emulators/snes/pocketsnes/. now when I try to load A rom, the list is blank. So I move the cursor over the ".." and hit B. nothing. agian...nothing. I contunued to go back but nothing was appearing!?! what so I do? Reinstall the software?

Also, I hope this isint too much to ask, but is emulation of games like Kirby Super Star too much? I understand it uses A certian chip that some other games use, but not too many.

Also, Super Mario Kart doesin't work porperly, even though some have said it does (version #?). Often times it crashes and when it does work, the solids arent posisioned correctly.

Sorry to ask so much, it's just I can't wait for more from this project. :D

Classic Team said:
Hey, I really enjoy this Emulator, hours have been spent playing all the classics from when I was A kid. I can play a lot of SNES game on this.

Anyhow, I've been having A problem. Just a few days ago I updated my firmware from 3.0 to 4.0. In order to have it appear as soon as I select the Game section, I moved it into the "game" folder from sd:emulators/snes/pocketsnes/. now when I try to load A rom, the list is blank. So I move the cursor over the ".." and hit B. nothing. agian...nothing. I contunued to go back but nothing was appearing!?! what so I do? Reinstall the software?

Also, I hope this isint too much to ask, but is emulation of games like Kirby Super Star too much? I understand it uses A certian chip that some other games use, but not too many.

Also, Super Mario Kart doesin't work porperly, even though some have said it does (version #?). Often times it crashes and when it does work, the solids arent posisioned correctly.

Sorry to ask so much, it's just I can't wait for more from this project. :D
Try deleting "romdir.opt" in the "options" folder.

DaveC said:
Nice release, cool to have the stereo. Thanks for the good work.

Is there anyway to make it louder though? I have it all of the way up and it is pretty soft, and that is on a F200. Maybe that is just the way the emu works?
I got the source, modified the volume multiplier and recompiled, there's a code that checks for the F-200, and cut the volume by half, I don't know why...
But the 6.4.3 source isn't available, so I needed to use 6.4.2...

Thanks, worked like A charm. :D

Sorry I'm restating, but if I don't no ones gonna answer.

Just to let you know, I've put the GP2x PocketSNES mirror back up http://gp2x.akemicompany.com/

If anybody has any other versions that I'm missing, please get in touch.
At the moment, I'm looking for the source code for version 6.4.3 to add to the mirror (doesn't seem to have been released?)

thanks.

Isn't that just a bad rom dump?
May be worth trying another, I have 2 SMK versions one of which has problems similar to these described.

tetsuomaki said:
At the moment, I'm looking for the source code for version 6.4.3 to add to the mirror (doesn't seem to have been released?)
Hmm someone sent me the link to it in some other thread, I compiled it to fix the low volume on F-200. If you don't find it, I can try to search for it in my backups.

Back