Pocketsnes Hack

Having played around with this for quite a while, I'm now with DaveC - and play in original video mode - the blockiness got to me in the end :)

I'm sure that issue will be (literally) smoothed out in future.

Cheers
Simon

Sure it doesn't. Whoever did the port hasn't bothered implementing the clock option (like with many others like 8bit modes and gamma"], so it does nothing. If he was so good commenting out code why couldn't he comment out the options themselves, that bastard.
They seriously should have just waited for you to do the port yourself, although with all the troubles you've had with Wizes getting lost in the mail I suppose it would have delayed things more. This same problem has been present with the PocketSNES port, some people think that the emulators are actually running this well at 200MHz and have some crazy amount of room to grow. An actual 200MHz Wiz runs terribly.[/quote]So a 200mhz wiz is not the same as a gp2x at 200mhz? I thought the Wiz would perform on par mhz for mhz and then go faster because it clocks higher. Are you saying that even though picodrive works fine on a gp2x at 200 or less, it doesn't perform the same at similar clock speeds on the Wiz?
If so, that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
They seriously should have just waited for you to do the port yourself, although with all the troubles you've had with Wizes getting lost in the mail I suppose it would have delayed things more. This same problem has been present with the PocketSNES port, some people think that the emulators are actually running this well at 200MHz and have some crazy amount of room to grow. An actual 200MHz Wiz runs terribly.
...are you serious man :unsure: ... the clock settings on PicoDrive are fake :blink: ?!?

:( ...that's bad news but is that correct that on the Gp32x it runs fine below 300Mhz ?!

If so, I hope that it's only due to the early phase of the porting, lacking completely optimization...otherwise it could be hard to explain :(
On the GP2X picodrive runs most games at 166 or less, 200 at the most even for cd games. Even Dragons lair runs perfectly at 200mhz. If I remember correctly, Virtua Racing runs well at 200mhz.

Chris

On the GP2X picodrive runs most games at 166 or less, 200 at the most even for cd games. Even Dragons lair runs perfectly at 200mhz. If I remember correctly, Virtua Racing runs well at 200mhz.

Chris
...if so, I'm sure that the issue is only coming from the raw porting from gp32x code:
indeed the ARM926J of the Pollux superseded the ARM920T of the gpx32 so it's hard to believe that it has less perfrmances when same clock speed is used.

Cheers :)

Chris

Don't forget it's using both cores on GP2X, and Wiz version was ported from a bit older code which is missing several optimizations.

However it does appear Wiz is slower than F100/F200 at the same clock speed, and I'm not sure why. Maybe the memory is slowed down along with clock speed, so mem gets well below F100/F200 levels at the same clock.

Chris
Don't forget it's using both cores on GP2X, and Wiz version was ported from a bit older code which is missing several optimizations.

However it does appear Wiz is slower than F100/F200 at the same clock speed, and I'm not sure why. Maybe the memory is slowed down along with clock speed, so mem gets well below F100/F200 levels at the same clock.

That makes sense. Did you have any plans to port the newest version over that is cleaned up for Wiz specific settings?

Chris

Shouldn't a decent sized well designed cache solve that problem? I know when Intel put out the P4 they made a lot of compromises with it and wasn't really any faster clock for clock than the p3. I am sure any design compromises were different than the intel compromises, but maybe design is why it's slower?

Chris

Back