Pocketsnes Help

alexcaughman

Still Fresh
Hello everyone. I am using a F200 and every time I try to use PocketSnes it ends up freezing when I select a rom. I left all the settings as they were and have used at least four different versions of PocketSnes. I open pocketsnes.gpe, go to the correct rom directory, but it freezes when I select a rom. SquidgSnes works fine except I can't figure out how to save or use save states on it. So can anybody help me out?

Yes I have the latest HeadOverHeels build. The roms aren't zipped, but they are in an unzipped folder entitled "roms". I have version 4.0 firmware by the way. Is there anything else I could say to help point to my solution?

alexcaughman said:
Yes I have the latest HeadOverHeels build. The roms aren't zipped, but they are in an unzipped folder entitled "roms". I have version 4.0 firmware by the way. Is there anything else I could say to help point to my solution?
I also have a F200, and I am running PocketSnes 6.4.2 (the latest by HeadOverHeels). It works flawlessly on mine, which makes me wonder why that happens to you.

What are your settings (if you changed any) in the SNES Options?

Have you tried using that same ROM files on another SNES emulator and make them work?

Which .gpe file are you running, the fast or the normal one? (the fast one has compatibility issues)

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as the rest bro... I got an F200(B) and using the same emu... loaded Donkey Kong Country 1 and have been playing it flawless...... try swapping out SD cards if you have extra...

I didn't change a single thing. The roms are good because I can run them in SquidgeSnes. The SD card is good as well.

alexcaughman said:
I didn't change a single thing. The roms are good because I can run them in SquidgeSnes. The SD card is good as well.
Hmm... puzzling indeed... :blink:

Not a single one of your ROM files work? Can you list the some of the games you are trying to run (and their CRC, if possible), I'll try them on mine to see if I get the same result.

The only other thing I can think of is to make a fresh copy (redownload & recopy) of the PocketSnes to the SD card. There could have been an error along the way that caused this.

I tried Super Mario World, Super Mario Allstars, Chrono Trigger, and Harvest Moon. I have done fresh installs four times but no result. :(

alexcaughman said:
I tried Super Mario World, Super Mario Allstars, Chrono Trigger, and Harvest Moon. I have done fresh installs four times but no result. :(
Since I can't tell which specific ROM files you have with the lack of CRC or identifier for them, I only tested a few for each of the four games you listed.

Unfortunately (for you), all those I tested for those four games worked. Which means, the culprit is something else. :(

I pretty much ran out of ideas... Here are last few I can think of:

What SD card are you using (brand & speed)?

Where did your download of the PocketSnes (6.4.2 ?) came from?

Do you do anything else before running PocketSnes?

Do you even get the "Loading Rom..." on the upper-left corner of the screen when you selected a ROM?

I am using a SanDisk 2 GB card that I ordered with my GP2X. I downloaded PocketSes from http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2043. I did nothing before running PocketSnes and I do not get a loading rom message, the emulator just goes back to the main menu and freezes. If I'm out of luck can anyone help me figure out how to save with Squidgesnes? Thankyou for all of your help guys, and on the bright side, I got Sonic CD working on PicoDrive :).

alexcaughman said:
I am using a SanDisk 2 GB card that I ordered with my GP2X. I downloaded PocketSes from http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2043. I did nothing before running PocketSnes and I do not get a loading rom message, the emulator just goes back to the main menu and freezes. If I'm out of luck can anyone help me figure out how to save with Squidgesnes? Thankyou for all of your help guys, and on the bright side, I got Sonic CD working on PicoDrive :).

I'm out of ideas as well. Strange that PocketSnes doesn't run on your F-200. :(

Well in SquidgeSNES, you can save state in the menu (hold down Select button), you can locate the Save State & Load State options there. SquidgeSNES also saves SRAM automatically, but make sure to exit the emulator properly before turning off the GP2X. It is safer that way. ;)

Manjuu said:
alexcaughman said:

I'm out of ideas as well. Strange that PocketSnes doesn't run on your F-200. :(

Well in SquidgeSNES, you can save state in the menu (hold down Select button), you can locate the Save State & Load State options there. SquidgeSNES also saves SRAM automatically, but make sure to exit the emulator properly before turning off the GP2X. It is safer that way. ;)

I don't recall seingthe autosave feature in Squidgsnes, is it in the options menu or do I need to press specific buttons?

alexcaughman said:
I don't recall seingthe autosave feature in Squidgsnes, is it in the options menu or do I need to press specific buttons?
If you mean the SRAM saving? You can't find it in the options menu. It set to automatically save the SRAM.

Take note though, SRAM saving is different from Save State... The former is how SNES originally saved games, while the latter is how the emulator save games.

Manjuu said:
alexcaughman said:
If you mean the SRAM saving? You can't find it in the options menu. It set to automatically save the SRAM.

Take note though, SRAM saving is different from Save State... The former is how SNES originally saved games, while the latter is how the emulator save games.

If it was set to auto, how come I lose all my game saves?

alexcaughman said:
If it was set to auto, how come I lose all my game saves?
Sorry if I was not clear. SRAM saving is only supported by games that actually saved progress in the original SNES (i.e. Chrono Tigger, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, etc...).

I also apologize that I failed to mention that SquidgeSNES seems to be buggy at saving (both SRAM & Save State). It seems it sometimes would not save or load properly. :(

I also need to mention that I do not use SquidgeSNES that much. I pretty much only use PocketSnes, so my experience & knowledge on SquidgeSNES is very limited. :p

Back